Youth Olympics - Ages 14 - 18 Approved by IOC | Golden Skate

Youth Olympics - Ages 14 - 18 Approved by IOC

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
IOC approves Youth Olympics; First Games set for 2010 for Ages 14 - 18.

First Youth Olympics probably would be played in August 2010, an initial winter games in 2012 would draw 1,000 youth athletes.

2010 Youth summer games site will be chosen in February 2008. 2012 Youth Winter Games site will be picked by January 2009.

Looks like Junior Skaters will now have an Olympics of their own!

More Here!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I dunno how I feel about this...the Paralympics are fine, but there's just something about "the Olympics" that makes you sit up and pay attention. Besides, aren't most Gymnasts at the Olys in that age range, anyway?

pista04

On the Ice
Ditto

Me too. For some reason, I feel like it would take things from the Olympics. The Olympics, I believe, should remain something you wait and wait to experience and be able to qualify in. Plus, if they put it at the same "level" as Olys, would you want athletes doing poorly at the Olympics, then saying "Well, I got the gold at the youth Olympics!" Personally, that'd annoy me.

Kypma

Final Flight
I honestly don't see the point of the Youth Olympics. Just let the athletes wait what - 2 years for Figure Skating and then they get to go. I really don't see the use of having Youth Olympics when age-wise it matches the youngest competitors at the real Olympics, which, like it has been said, are so important.
Basically, I agree with pista04:agree:

Kypma

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't think this will really work in the favor of "viewer-ship." If anything it could cut them in half.

I wonder if it is just the population of the world that would bring something on like this ???? Just by shear numbers of people in this would the Olys had to "expand." JAT

Maybe the Youth Olympics will turn out to be so cool that everyone will forget about the old fogey Olympics. :cool:

I really don't see how this can turn out to be any kind of serious sporting endeavor. A lot of flag waving and parading about. (Sort of like the Big People's Olympics, LOL.)

If it only comes along every four years, your chances of winning are completely dependent upon whether the year falls right for you. If you are a young high-jumper, and the Youth Olys come when you are 14, how can you compete against 18-year-olds (maybe it's the opposite in gymnastics). Or maybe there will be prizes for each age group.

It would be better, IMHO, for each sport to do what figure skating does -- have a Junior World Championship each year. If someone wins Junior Worlds and then never goes any farther, well, they still had a wonderful experience in their sport. :clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Looking at the bright side, this could indicate that the Olympic movement is not dying out, as some feared before.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OK, I must be thinking over-exaggeration again by Sean here, but does this sound reminiscent of "everybody wins, no losers here" educational theme that is running around?

Looking at the bright side, this could indicate that the Olympic movement is not dying out, as some feared before.
I would say, "hoped," LOL.

Don't get me wrong. I love watching the opening and closing ceremonies -- wasn't that cool the time the guy lit the torch with a flaming arrow? And the clowns on stilts? :rock:

People drancing in colorful costumes, waving flags and marching along together singing Cum Bay Yah. :clap: :clap: :clap: Bob Costas coming on TV assuring us that the U.S. still has more gold medals than anyone else (except those pesky Germans, but hey, we taught them a thing or two in WWII). Now let's cut away from the eighth end of the gold medal round in curling to bring you the last 20 yards of the 10,000 meter cross country skiing race! Yay! And here's footage of Bode Miller drunk in a bar last night. Oh, that Bode!

But as a sporting event, no, not so much. (JMO --YMMV)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I like the Summer Olympics because it gives me the opportunity to watch events I wouldn't normally watch, or that aren't normally on TV. When else can you catch shotput, rowing or shooting? Or even swimming, gymnastics, diving? I could care less about them in non-Oly years.

I was once like that about FS as well, but something changed that after 2002. I think it was called a computer, lol. (I had my HS laptop computer then so curiosity took me onto the net, etc.)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Just to play devil's advocate, what if this helped all sports ensure that athletes aren't being injured too early, in sports like diving, gymnastics, and figure skating? Perhaps they will put restrictions on what jumps you can try at the Youth Games, and have the youngin's working towards the youth games, and once they're age eligible, work towards the Olympic games?

Or, it could be like Junior Worlds, where the age limit overlaps with senior eligibility. One could be in that two-year period (16-18) where they were eligible for both. Imagine, winning Jr WC, WC, Olympics and Youth Games...all in one year...

No, don't imagine. That sounds like a terribly long year for that skater.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
so it will be the skaters who are too young for worlds and olympics but medal at nationals will go there as well as junior worlds? This sounds pointless.