Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • all the way around

8 88.89%
  • straight line

1 11.11%

Thread: boot fitting tips???

boot fitting tips???

I have not seen this topic brought up before - other than "one should have their boot professionally fitted.

So I have a question - never having had my boot professionally fitted. When the fitter asks for the "circumference of the ball of my foot - are they asking for ...

a. the distance all the way around my foot. Much like they would measure someone's waist.

b. the distance from one side of the ball of my foot to the other. Just as they measure the length.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I have not seen this topic brought up before - other than "one should have their boot professionally fitted.

So I have a question - never having had my boot professionally fitted. When the fitter asks for the "circumference of the ball of my foot - are they asking for ...

a. the distance all the way around my foot. Much like they would measure someone's waist.

b. the distance from one side of the ball of my foot to the other. Just as they measure the length.
    I'd say circumference is all the way round, kind of like a circle; option a is your circumference, option b is the diameter.

Kypma

Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I'd say circumference is all the way round, kind of like a circle; option a is your circumference, option b is the diameter.

Kypma
    I so agree, but is that a confirmation or are you slightly unsure as well?

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I so agree, but is that a confirmation or are you slightly unsure as well?
    I'd say confirmation by using a definition. Especially if it's like ordering a boot online, the fitter in question needs to know whether your foot will fit into the boot - for example, for someone with a narrow foot but a very high arch, the simple diameter might give a goot that is not high enough.

To be absolutely sure, I'd need the full section of wherever this question is from, but for now, I'm pretty certain that circumference is the whole way 'round, by the simple definition of "circumference". If they wanted only the base, it would probably say diameter.

Kypma

I'd say confirmation by using a definition. Especially if it's like ordering a boot online,
    http://www.skatetrix.ch/Skatetrix_DE...x_E_index.html

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess if they were to see a 24cm measurement and it wasn't the one they asked for it would rase some questions. Plus the hight makes a LOT of sense they would need to know in that particular area - one area of the foot I find is the first to cramp.

I'd say confirmation by using a definition.
    Definition is so subjective to me regarding skating and what translates and such... I just want to be sure they don't deduct what the "circumference" is form the mesurement. The page that asks is showing a diagram at the bottom that seems to want the straight across, where the first diagram looks like it is true to the definition of circumfrance. so I questioned?????

Some people would not define artistic in with figure skating (go figure???) so I never really know by definition of words anymore.

btw...

Any other tips???? ANyone...anyone....Beuhler????

Absolutely nothing to add of any use except to say - use a boot fitter!!!

I know, i know, some people live nowhere near a reliable boot fitter and the cost can be expensive. I only say becuas ei didn't get properly fitted for my first pair of boots and i was in agony when i skated until i finally broke down the boot (there was no comfort at all in between) and decided to spend the money!

The other thing (that might b emore useful thatn advice you already have) is some fitters asking for you to send a tracing of your foot.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    The other thing (that might b emore useful thatn advice you already have) is some fitters asking for you to send a tracing of your foot.

Ant
    The site that I am looking at the "roller figure skates" does ask for a tracing. Considering the cost (600+ usd) it might be a good idea to get boots fit here, order the rails and then have them put on the boots I had fit. ???? I am not totally sure what to do about these skates because they are expensive but I really want them. I have a few people coming up and asking questions when skating around in parking lots, so if I am generating interest with typical rollerblades, I can imagine what will happen if I have something that "responds / reacts / controls more like a FS skate. Besides the "retro fit" toe pick I never felt was working quite right for me.

Anyhoo thanks for the advice. Even if it was just reestablishing the importance of fitting. It took a long time to get my skates to feel half way decent, and it still is "off."

Custom Title
    Talk to Katy Taylor. She is now an expert on ill fitting boots.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Talk to Katy Taylor. She is now an expert on ill fitting boots.
    That is great. I would love to as well. I should have added that to my questions for her GS article.

btw, the NNN Left questions seemed to pass by quick, right when I thought of some "Q"s it was gone. Maybe I didn't notice it in time but it seemed to be up for questions only like a week. I better get on quicker next time. I could have asked them some boot questions too.

Custom Title
    The site that I am looking at the "roller figure skates" does ask for a tracing. Considering the cost (600+ usd) it might be a good idea to get boots fit here, order the rails and then have them put on the boots I had fit. ???? I am not totally sure what to do about these skates because they are expensive but I really want them. I have a few people coming up and asking questions when skating around in parking lots, so if I am generating interest with typical rollerblades, I can imagine what will happen if I have something that "responds / reacts / controls more like a FS skate. Besides the "retro fit" toe pick I never felt was working quite right for me.

Anyhoo thanks for the advice. Even if it was just reestablishing the importance of fitting. It took a long time to get my skates to feel half way decent, and it still is "off."
    IMHO, I would not pay a lot of $$$ for boots that don't fit perfectly!!!!

I just spent $400 for split-sized boots and they seem expensive, but considering they have been sized for my feet (small heel, medium ball) by an expert fitter, I'm not complaining. He also asked questions:
    How much skating I do per week
    What jumps and spins I do
    What level I am at (i.e. what I do when I skate)
    My skating goals for the next year or two

You just can't get that kind of service mail order. He was a 3 hour drive (each way) and worth every mile!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skate@Delaware View Post
    You just can't get that kind of service mail order. He was a 3 hour drive (each way) and worth every mile!!!!
    Thanks! and from a creditable source. Sounds like bad news for "mail-order."

Custom Title
    Thanks! and from a creditable source. Sounds like bad news for "mail-order."
    Not necessarily....but if you are moving up into better boots and have "strange" feet (bunions, corns, etc) then you would be better served by going to a reputable boot fitter. It's actually cheaper in the long run.

If you know you size, and don't need split-sized or custom sizes, by all means, go mail-order.

I was put into ill-fitting boots for 3 years (i.e. new boots each year) at $200 each by someone at my rink that didn't know what he/she was doing...if I had just gone elsewhere I would have saved all that money up front, gotten into some good boots and not developed knee/hip pain (which is just now subsiding).

Ballroom Baby
    Get thee to a skate fitter! Some of the measurements are hard to do alone anyway--they need to be taken seated, standing, knees bent, so you can get it accurate for when your feet are in the boots. And if in any way your feet are problem feet (like mine--D ball/A heel, bunions) the fitter can make appropriate recommendations.