Evan's TV interview | Golden Skate

Evan's TV interview

Arianne

On the Ice
That was cute. Too bad the announcer couldn't pronounce Tanith's name and that he thought she was a pairs skater. How hard can it be to get the facts right?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well a lot of media outlets consider ice dancers as pairs skaters... so it's an honest mistake.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I had never heard Tanith pronounced like that before and figured I was wrong.. :rofl:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I rarely come in here. So I am very surprised to see this topic here when it poped up on the first page.:)

One word: astonishing!

quintuple jump - no costume, no music - Tonya Harding, it's astonishing to hear them at first. Then I watched it again, I got a little different feeling. It's really entertaining. I know Evan was joking on the Tonya Harding thing. But I hope he is not so single minded to try to change the sport and make his image as masculine. All he is doing are actually hurting himself and make him away from his fans. ( I am not his fan. But as a person, I feel a bit sorry for him, and wish he didn't do that. ) I wish someone could tell him.

Arianne

On the Ice
I don't think Evan wants to change the sport. He was just mentioning another way that it could be judged as purely an athletic way in the X games. That doesn't mean that it would affect the true sport of figure skating. It would give the purely athletic skaters a place to compete though. I think it would be interesting to see!

jennylovskt

Medalist
I don't think Evan wants to change the sport. He was just mentioning another way that it could be judged as purely an athletic way in the X games. That doesn't mean that it would affect the true sport of figure skating. It would give the purely athletic skaters a place to compete though. I think it would be interesting to see!

Well, that was the introduction of this segment said, "Chicago Olympian though is hungry to make some serious changes to his sport." I am wondering how many people in the general public would actually distinguish the difference between skating and figure skating. The impression gave to the viewers was Evan wanted to change the sport.

First he wore all black in almost all the programs he skated to last season. Then he and his girlfriend Tanith introduced pop music into figure skating. And he has stated in an interview not long ago that compared figure skating with extreme sport. Now he wanted to get rid of the costumes and music, and keep only the tricks. Yes, he said "skating". He didn't say "figure skating" this time. I am wondering whether or not Evan himself is clear on what he wants to do? It was the figure skating fans who helped him, and explained what Evan might be up to. If he is clear minded, he should have explained that it is not in his interest to change figure skating into extreme sport. He just wanted to introduce a new section of skating.

Last edited:
Evan is just having us on about getting rid of sequins and the like. Do you think he would ever part with his gold-braided bolero jacket? Tan-EETH says he looks adorable in it!

http://estaticos02.cache.el-mundo.net/jjoo/2006/html/albums/modelitos_patinaje/img/lysacek_afp.jpg

Seriously, though, one thing I really hate about these figure skating features is when the commentators make fun of Nancy Kerrigan's pain and dismay. Kerrigan was the victim of an assault intended to put an end to her career. Is this supposed to be funny?

jennylovskt

Medalist
MM, Evan looked great in that costume. Handsome, masculine, sexy ... . Too bad that he doesn't want that any more.

I agree with you on the Tonya/Nancy stuff. They tried too hard, and thought bringing up the old Tonya/Nancy incident would make the viewers pay more attention to it.

Kasey

Medalist
I'm not a fan either, but I could see something akin to "Top Jump" being in the x-games. No costumes, no music, just extreme tricks.

(But please, not in real figure skating)

jennylovskt

Medalist
I'm not a fan either, but I could see something akin to "Top Jump" being in the x-games. No costumes, no music, just extreme tricks.

(But please, not in real figure skating)

This might be interesting. It's funny and not clear to me that how far Johnny and Evan will each go to the opposite directions? I hope they both think twice before they move further. Too far to either side will not be working. It's just my preference and opinion.