Tonya Harding Makes the Front Page of USA Today... | Golden Skate

Tonya Harding Makes the Front Page of USA Today...

nubka

Final Flight
Imagine my surprise (at McDonald's this morning) when I glanced at the paper machine and there was Tonya's face in all it's glory!

Actually, it was the infamous Tonya/my lace is broken/ crying in front of the judges pic. The name of the story is "Scandals that rocked sports." The Tonya/Nancy scandal made the 4th spot, while the SLC French judge scandal made #7.

Pete Rose took the #1 spot...

euterpe

Medalist
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/top25-scandals.htm

The Duke lacrosse case didn't make the top ten. Somehow, I think it shows really weird priorities

That wasn't a SPORTS scandal, it was a POLITICAL scandal. The only "sports" in this story was the fact that the students charged were part of the Duke lacrosse team. The District Attorney orchestrated a publicity lynching of the students, even though there was no evidence to support the claims of the woman who claimed to have been raped (she told one conflicting story after another).

The coach of the lacrosse team was fired, the accused students were expelled, all without a whit of proof. Since then, all charges against the students were dropped and the district attorney was forced to resign, and was subsequently disbarred.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
"Tonya/Nancy
Forever linked, captivating a nation, the skating lives of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan diverged when Harding’s camp, with her knowledge, carried out a plot to injure Kerrigan before the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships."

OK, what is this "with her knowledge" stuff?? :scratch:

This is by some new feature writer trying to make a splash for himself.
(?) I believe that Rachel Shuster has been a sports writer for USA today and Associated Press for some time now and has quite a few journalistic credits under her belt. One of her investigative stories was about discrimination against women at the Augusta National Golf Club for instance.

She has done several of these "list features," including "The top 25 moments in sport." She also contributed to the famous poll, "The 10 hardest things to do in sport." IIRC the winner was the quad in figure skating. :rock: (She contributed to the tennis part, having been a competitive tennis player in college.)

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
One of my favs in the early 1990's........too bad she will be forever linked to that incident and not the glorious triple axel she landed at the 1991 Nationals......42

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
True - but then again the writer include OJ Simpson - not a SPORTS scandal as far as I am concerned

ITA!! There is a big difference between a "sports scandal" and a scandal involving athletes.

It just strikes me as odd that, since the list includes both types, the ones that involved the most serious crimes (murder; the conduct of the DA) are so low on the list. Either the list should not include these things, or they should be higher up because killing two people (or ruining three lives) is, IMO, much worse than a judging scandal.