The Other Side of 98 Olympics | Golden Skate

The Other Side of 98 Olympics

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Ok. We can go on forever about the FP clash between Lipinski and Kwan at the Nagano Olympics (and if you're wondering...I picked Kwan). However, I was recently watching some old skating tapes. And when I came across the 98 Olympics, I think the SP in some cases was actually more close between the top ladies, and could have resulted in some different overall results. What do u guyz think:

SP:

1. Kwan : 5.8 - 5.9 (No doubt the clear winner here, simply one of the best SP in the history of ladies figure skating)

2. Butryskaya: 5.6 - 5.7 (Hell yeah! Along with Scene d'Amour, Fever was one of her best SP. She nailed a beautiful T.Lutz-D.LOOP that might have been slightly 2ft., but one hell of a T.Loop with good footwork preceding, and a overall program that had flair and maturity)

3. Chen: 5.5 - 5.8 (So her T.Toe, and lack of speed might have held her back, but I thought this program was effortless and just a masterpiece. Her compulsory was just first rate.)

4. Lipinski: 5.7 - 5.5 ( I know i'm probably going to get rip for this, but honestly..... I thought her chreo / interpretation is on that same par as Kimmie is right now... One could argue that her T.Flip was more difficult, but I don't think her elements was as strong as some of the ladies above her. GOOD, SOLID SP...not Fantastic...

5. Bonaly: 5.5 - 5.5 ( I personally enjoyed her Caravan program, however I guess the T.Toe-T.Toe isn't regarded as difficult as it is today in the points system.

6. Slutskaya: 5.1 - 5.4 (I think she was slightly over marked for 5th place (Doubled her Lutz), I could even see Liashenko placing ahead of her. However, I did think she should have been 3rd in the FP.

Lipinski...4th SP...?? I thought so. Even more so, check out the 97 World Champs, where I thought Gusmeroli should have been 1st, and Lipinski 2nd in the SP. Would have the overall results been different as well....

emma

Record Breaker
Well, that's part of the fun of the off season - speculating on what is to come, and rehashing what has already happened.

I don't think I have ever gone back and re-watched the 98 short programs - god knows I have watched a couple of the LP's many, many, many times. I think at this point, my brain can't even remotely get in the mind-set of the old judging system to assess these programs on 1998 terms; BUT from a weak memory I must say that I loved Chen's programs (and was such a fan of hers - so extremely biased - and so hoped she would do well -- I wanted her to get silver!!), but unfortunately I don't remember Butraskaya's short program...I'll have to take a look some time. I do agree that Kwan's short was a materpiece and well performed; but I really can't remember Tara's - I admired her as a competitor and loved her 'spark' but never really had a lasting impression with her actual programs...so, i'm not helping you out here, but I do love a good rehash!

discoduck

On the Ice
I was too busy sobbing over the dance results to know what went on in the ladies competition. :laugh:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I thought Michelle should have won the gold. Even with the slight bobble on her triple flip, the program was magnificent!! In 94, Oksana won the title over Kerrigan because of her artistry, and I thought it would be the same in Nagano. Both did seven triples, and while Tara had a greater technical package, Michelle had a stronger balance between the two. Sigh....Michelle will always have her five world titles.:yes:

DaveT

On the Ice
I thought Michelle should have won the gold. Even with the slight bobble on her triple flip, the program was magnificent!! In 94, Oksana won the title over Kerrigan because of her artistry, and I thought it would be the same in Nagano. Both did seven triples, and while Tara had a greater technical package, Michelle had a stronger balance between the two. Sigh....Michelle will always have her five world titles.:yes:

I've heard many say that is precisely the reason judges put Lipinski over Kwan after all the chatter about what happened to Nancy so they said "Touche" you want more jumps to win, more jumps win, what did they have to lose as it was between 2 Americans? I've heard other theories too so I take it with a grain of salt, but as superior as Kwan was to Lipinksi, you have to wonder.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Having watched the 98 games over and over again and being the uber Kwaniac that I am - I must admit, regardless of how much it pains me that the results were perfect... Tara's short wasn't great, but if the short is a technical program, then she deserved to be in second... and in the long, Kwan was flat. It sucks, but it is what it is...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i remeber being shocked that they placed Tara first ( i wanted her to win but thought that the judges favored Michelle's maturity)... but yes, it was fair. I am always surprised when people say Michelle was "flat" and uninspiring. I think that she skated with heart. The only thinng that did her in was that the landing of the flip was shaky and Tara landed two clean triple triple to Michelle's zero.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I also don't understand why people refer to Michelle as "flat" or "tentative" -- I still recall Scott Hamilton talking, right after MK skated, that she would have gotten some 6.0s if she skated later -- only to denigrate her as "tentative" after Tara skated. Michelle skated extremely well -- much better than the silver medalists in both SLC and Torino -- and it says something about Tara that so many judges put her in first, after a strong skate from Michelle.

IMO, '98 Olys was an example of "reasonable minds can differ" -- MK wasn't robbed -- and if it had gone the other way, I don't think that Tara would have been robbed.

I've heard many say that is precisely the reason judges put Lipinski over Kwan after all the chatter about what happened to Nancy so they said "Touche" you want more jumps to win, more jumps win, what did they have to lose as it was between 2 Americans? I've heard other theories too so I take it with a grain of salt, but as superior as Kwan was to Lipinksi, you have to wonder.
The complaints about Baiul were not about the number of jumps. They were about the number of bad two foot landing jumps. What Baiul had was the hype about being a waif, and one had to give her gold for sympathy.

Joe