Mission accomplished - Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mission accomplished - Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy

I get this feeling that this season will have rivalry between S&Z's lyricism to S&S's bravura. Whatever style one likes, the judges will choose the team with zero faults. Not unlike SLC.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I get this feeling that this season will have rivalry between S&Z's lyricism to S&S's bravura. Whatever style one likes, the judges will choose the team with zero faults. Not unlike SLC.

Joe

Shen/Zhou are not competing this season. In fact they are pretty much retired.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Great article. Thank you. This team are wonderful skaters and very talented.
I will be rooting for them.

Ptichka-thanks for the "article" in your post. That was quite a read.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Originally Posted by sillylionlove "Remember this was the same country that has all these secret files on Katarina Witt."

That's right - they really kept tight surveillance on Witt - probably worried she might defect. Didn't she say in her book that they bugged her apartment and had tapes of some intimate moments?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well then, no rivalry. Too bad.

I suppose but S/S so far lack the consistency to seriously rival a team as great as S/Z. Last year at Worlds they could have challenged S/Z had they been able to duplicate their Euros free skate, but they faltered and even dropped to 3rd place below P/T, still their first World medal mind you so still good. At the Olympics they were touted as medal contenders, and they were the only top team to truly skate a poor competition and finished in 6th overall. At Worlds they were even stronger medal hopefuls in a weaker field without T/M and S/Z, and they really fizzled finishing 6th again, this time below I/B and M/B.

They definitely are an original and appealing team, and they are extremely good, but consistency is something they are still striving for.

They may have trouble even in their current rivalries with P/T and Z/Z if they do not find this consistency they have yet to show. Often they do clean shorts, very rarely clean free skates.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Joe

SLC? That was crooked as hell and the original decision went with the couple that had a mistake!!

Ant

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
SLC? That was crooked as hell and the original decision went with the couple that had a mistake!!

Ant

Well, I never thought the decision was wrong. In previous Worlds the same happened: S&P did a mistake but had a more difficult programme and won over faultless B&S. In SLC it was S&P that were faultless with an easier programme.

Last edited:
I suppose but S/S so far lack the consistency to seriously rival a team as great as S/Z.
I guess if you are of the school that skaters are unable to improve then S/S are doomed. But then how do you explain how S&Z improved after getting a bronze gift at SLC?

That was my point.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I guess if you are of the school that skaters are unable to improve then S/S are doomed. But then how do you explain how S&Z improved after getting a bronze gift at SLC?

I don't think Shen & Zhao got a bronze gift in SLC. Totmianina & Marinin were in fourth and deservedly so - i don't think they did anything to merit moving past Shen & Zhao in the free, Kyoko & Ina were 5th and they certaintly did not skate well enough to move into third in the FS - their skating skills alone were not good enough to move above Totmianina & Marinin or Shen & Zhao.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't think Shen & Zhao got a bronze gift in SLC. Totmianina & Marinin were in fourth and deservedly so - i don't think they did anything to merit moving past Shen & Zhao in the free, Kyoko & Ina were 5th and they certaintly did not skate well enough to move into third in the FS
ITA. IN SLC T&M had decent technical content, but their artistry was non-existent. That - they acquired later on, with Vasiliev and world class choreographers.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I don't think Shen & Zhao got a bronze gift in SLC. Totmianina & Marinin were in fourth and deservedly so - i don't think they did anything to merit moving past Shen & Zhao in the free, Kyoko & Ina were 5th and they certaintly did not skate well enough to move into third in the FS - their skating skills alone were not good enough to move above Totmianina & Marinin or Shen & Zhao.

Ant

I agree. Shen Zhou had a wobbly outing, but Totmianina and Marinin did not have a good performance that night either. Ina and Zimmerman skated well but they simply dont have the basics and technical strength of the other 2 teams. I agreed with the placements of everyone, other then debating the first 2.

escaflowne9282

Rinkside
I agree. Shen Zhou had a wobbly outing, but Totmianina and Marinin did not have a good performance that night either. Ina and Zimmerman skated well but they simply dont have the basics and technical strength of the other 2 teams. I agreed with the placements of everyone, other then debating the first 2.

Call me crazy, but I have no problem placing the top five exactly as they finished that night :eek:hwell: . Although, I think I'dbe more inclined to put I&Z ahead of T&M, but eh they had less technical difficulty , weak SBS spins and their throws were so low and forward, even though they won over the crowd. T&M were slow and blah , but I&Z weren't exactly speed skaters under the best of circumstances either.

Although, I will admit I&Z's program was considerably more interesting, and their lifts were actually much better than T&M's and S&Z's hmmm...
I also have to admit, S&Z did have the fall on the quad throw, all three of their lifts came down early with Shen falling out of the first one , and they spun in different parts of the rink andout of synchronization on their SBS . I think a judge could have justified not putting them on the podium, but seeing as how that was the one unanimous decision in the top 10 by all 9 judges that night , I think their bronze was perfectly warranted

Last edited:
I&Z had that magic touch of Moskvina. Thinking about that competition, I hardly believe T&M were actually there. I reiterate, S&Z got the gift of bronze and don't forget the rumor about the scandal.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
I&Z had that magic touch of Moskvina. Thinking about that competition, I hardly believe T&M were actually there. I reiterate, S&Z got the gift of bronze and don't forget the rumor about the scandal.

Joe

Sorry Joe i don't understand your seemingly cryptic statement - care to shed a greater light? Do you think I&Z should have won the bronze? Why do you think that S&Z's bronze was a gift because of the scandal about gold and silver?

Ant

S&Z did not have a lock on the bronze in SLC. They were an up and coming Pairs team that looked good for the future. Big throws and that's all.

If the Chinese Judge would give B&S a gold vote, the Russian judge would give S&Z a bronze vote. This was a security measure.

And it was only a rumour going around at the time.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If the Chinese Judge would give B&S a gold vote, the Russian judge would give S&Z a bronze vote. This was a security measure.
Joe, here are the marks from SLC pairs free - http://www.icecalc.com/events/owg2002/results/SEG006.HTM. ALL the judges put S&Z in 3d. It was indeed close (5:4) between T&M and I&Z, which is understandable as the former were technically stronger but the latter more exciting. The most "off" judges were Canada and Russia - Lavoie putting T&M in 7th, and Sanaya put I&Z in 6th.

antmanb

Record Breaker
S&Z did not have a lock on the bronze in SLC. They were an up and coming Pairs team that looked good for the future. Big throws and that's all.

And it was only a rumour going around at the time.

Joe

OK i see that now - i think Ptchika has shown the scores that show that the rumour wasn't really well founded.

Also i think S&Z were more than an up and comming couple with only big throws. S&Z were competing in their second Olympics in SLC (having come 5th in Nagano after Ina & Dunjgen) and by SLC they were the only couple even vaguely stong enough to compete with B&S and S&P. By then they had improved some of their presentation but had mostly focussed on the technical - including lifts and spins.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thanks Ptichka. I never did look at the scores. just read the rumor. :confused:
The truth of the matter is, it is likely there was such a deal. Chinese federation might have been unsure about S&Z, and could want shoring up; it could well agree to support the Russian team in return for Russians voting for S&Z over T&M. However, even if there were such a deal, it was not necessary - on that night, S&Z skated to a very solid bronze.