What's up with Mira? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What's up with Mira?

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Maybe she is turning into a girl Sandhu. She seems to deliver at nationals and then falls apart at big, international competitions. :indiff:

netnuts

Match Penalty
Congratulations!

Congratulations! We are now on page Seven, and have just crossed 100 posts.
Keep on going!:chorus::bow::clap:

nadster

Final Flight
That's nice (or perhaps not - LOL), but she didn't at Canadian Nationals.

I won't even comment on the idea that Joannie has a strong Spiral Sequence...

Both of them have much work to do and I can't wait to see what they've come up with next season.

I admit that Joannie must work strongly on her flexibililty to have an strong spiral sequence ( she is miles behind Mira in this area). However edging and ice coverage are other important aspects of the spiral sequence and she clearly beats Mira there.

Throughout, Joannies superior edging and ice coverage will not only garner higher GOE's ( better flow in jumps , better executed footwork ) but will result in better marks in almost all aspects of the PCS.

Mira does have a lot of difficulty in her programs. The problem is that she often excutes them badly ( except for her spins which I think are very well done)

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Maybe she is turning into a girl Sandhu. She seems to deliver at nationals and then falls apart at big, international competitions. :indiff:

I hope not. At least when Emanuel missed his jumps, he was able to make up for it with his artistry and good basic skating skills. Mira, as we saw at Worlds last spring, not so much. :(

I'm hoping no news is good news about Mira and she's working hard to improve her artistry and skating technique, but from everything I've heard, the one thing that would benefit Mira most of all would be spending some time away from her mother.

nadster

Final Flight

I don't think so. Mira is mentally as tough as nails and she controls her nerves very well. Sandhu tends to be too much of a perfectionist that he will often let go of the program after the first mistake. This past worlds was really her first big bomb. The other competitions she generally stands up her jumps but the callers usually downgrade some of them. I know none of the jumps were downgraded at nationals.

Given the gift that Kimmie M. received from the callers in the short program at US nationals ( triple-triple landed forwards -clearly underrotated but callers called it fully rotated), it is obvious that the callers are less likely to call downgrades for their top skaters at nationals.

Mira's opening triple flip looked iffy to me wrt full rotation at nationals.

Both Rochette and Leung were going to get the benefit of the doubt on the close calls as they are the ones SC wanted to prop up for worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that at Nationals, top skaters get the benefit of the doubt. Rochette, Leung and Phaneuf all received a few 'gifts'.

In the FS, Rochette doubled the solo loop and solo lutz and singled the axel. ISU judges would be unlikely to give her 113.76 for a 4-triple performance.

Leung had underrotated at least two solo triples at every performance last season---except Nationals.

Phaneuf landed only 3S and 3T in her Nationals FS. She fell on a 3Z attempt and doubled the loop and flip. I don't see ISU judges rating that performance 98.69.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
"Gifts" are most likely to happen in a very weak field. This is the sad manifestation of the depth of ladies in Canada.

feraina

Record Breaker
However edging and ice coverage are other important aspects of the spiral sequence and she clearly beats Mira there.

While Joannie has far less flexibility on her spirals compared to Mira, she doens't always have that edge quality that you're talking about. For instance, in her Nationals SP here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3qq5UL_8Fc&NR=1

The spiral sequence is slow, and she wobbles around the change of edge spiral, and doesn't hold a deep outside edge afterwards. The forward outside edge was in addition a bit scary, as she got awfully close to the boards (again, not holding a deep edge).

I think Joannie's main asset is that she has great posture from head to toe. Plus she's blonde and beautiful. ;)

oleada

Record Breaker
I think Joannie's main asset is that she has great posture from head to toe. Plus she's blonde and beautiful. ;)

She also has solid basic skating skills and edging, and her jumps, when they are landed and not popped, are of very good quality. She is miles ahead of any other Canadian lady.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The spiral sequence is slow, and she wobbles around the change of edge spiral, and doesn't hold a deep outside edge afterwards. The forward outside edge was in addition a bit scary,

The change of edge spiral was much better than what you describe here (and I am not a Canadian ladies FS fan, a Joannie fan, or a Mira hater, I am, quite frankly, ambivalent and just waiting for the kid at my home rink to make a splash in the US) because right after the COE to the back inside spiral, she had a core change which is what caused the wobble, NOT the change of edge itself. Frankly, I was somewhat impressed to see a back outside to inside COE spiral as it's rare for a back COE in the first place much less that particular order.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree that at Nationals, top skaters get the benefit of the doubt. Rochette, Leung and Phaneuf all received a few 'gifts'.

In the FS, Rochette doubled the solo loop and solo lutz and singled the axel. ISU judges would be unlikely to give her 113.76 for a 4-triple performance.

Leung had underrotated at least two solo triples at every performance last season---except Nationals.

Phaneuf landed only 3S and 3T in her Nationals FS. She fell on a 3Z attempt and doubled the loop and flip. I don't see ISU judges rating that performance 98.69.

I dont know whether I would call it gifts or the inflated scoring standard most countries have at their Nationals.

Look at Takahashi and his 170.53 for his free skate at Nationals, or Lysacek and his 169.89 at his Nationals. Definitely not scores that were based on "international" scoring standards.