new interview with Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

new interview with Johnny Weir

Alsace

On the Ice
He's sounding very sensible now and not trying to be eccentric. I have high hopes for him this season.

Joe

In some respects he's sounding more sensible in terms of this season. But talking about representing another country, especially Russia, in 2014, because the USFSA would be "finished" with him by then might not go over well.

In some respects he's sounding more sensible in terms of this season. But talking about representing another country, especially Russia, in 2014, because the USFSA would be "finished" with him by then might not go over well.
Also the part about, he thought about going to Russia for coaching, but "my Federation said I need to stay in America."

Interesting comments about coaching changes:

When you’ve been with somebody for so long like I have been with Priscilla, and at that point you’re friends....When you want to work, and you want to be the best, you can’t have a friend. You need somebody to push you, somebody who can get you fired to skate.
Here’s Johnny look-a-like, singer Mike Mironenko:

http://av.li.ru/638/863638_2067173.gif

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I appreciate how careful Johnny is to make sure everybody understands he is not dumping Priscilla because he thinks she is a bad coach.

But talking about representing another country, especially Russia, in 2014, because the USFSA would be "finished" with him by then might not go over well.
Actually, he is not talking about representing Russia. He is just talking about representing some other country (not that I think he's serious either way)

emma

Record Breaker
I'm excited to see his new programs. Anybody know the music he mentioned??

Thoughts on the quad or should I say, quads -- I feel he needs them, in competition, for points but also for confidence and that little something to extra to say - "hey, I've got the total package, come get me if you can!!"

I didn't really catch about representing Russia, but if that is his intentions, it's ok with me. Why do fans worry so much about nationalism? I think if he went to Russia some of the younger Russian boys would want to become lyrical and not Cossacks in style.

However, Johnny is up againt a strong contingent of competitors from Europe, Canada, Asia, and maybe the US. Will Russian coaching bring him out any better? That is the bottom line for him to think about.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
He is turning into a diplomat:

"Yu-na Kim or Mao Asada?
Muaaaaahaha. Arina Martynova!"​

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Guess what Arina said when she was asked about her favorite skater :)
Anyway, seems she and Johnny had good time at Worlds closing banquet ;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i am really surprised that Johnyy didn't start training with Terosova. I bet he is so mad she left the states. They would be perfect for eachother. Is it true that USFSA does not allow skaters to train outside the U.S... but allows other countries skaters here?

Thoughts on the quad or should I say, quads -- I feel he needs them, in competition, for points but also for confidence and that little something to extra to say - "hey, I've got the total package, come get me if you can!!"
I don't know. I almost wish he he would forget the quad and get his mojo back.

Two magnificent triple Axels (one in combination), triple Lutz/triple toe, triple flip/triple loop, a couple of triple jumps out of footwork, put it together with his eye-popping smoothness and strength, his secure edges, his attention to detail, his musicality -- I don't think he needs the quad at all.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
He has a very tough field to face at Cup of Russia, and before that at Cup of China he faces Lambiel and Lysacek. He hasnt ever beaten Plushenko, he hasnt beaten Lambiel since they were juniors, and he hasnt beaten Lysacek since the 2006 Nationals.

emma

Record Breaker
I don't know. I almost wish he he would forget the quad and get his mojo back.

Two magnificent triple Axels (one in combination), triple Lutz/triple toe, triple flip/triple loop, a couple of triple jumps out of footwork, put it together with his eye-popping smoothness and strength, his secure edges, his attention to detail, his musicality -- I don't think he needs the quad at all.

I hear you, really. He has to get his 'mojo' back, and if that means no quad, then i would agree - no quad, just get back in form.

I do believe, though, that if he wishes to get to the next level and be a force - to dominate the field and be the one chased, then I think the quad would be necessary at this point (here I assume that Takahashi will remain as conistent as last year if not better; that Oda will improve, that Lambiel will skate and skate well, that Plushenko might come back and still be a jumper, that Joubert will continue as he did last year, that Verner will be chasing the 'boys' around, that Lysacek will be at least as good as he was last year, that Buttle will be injury free and just a notch better than johnny without the quad - and he'll throw in four rotations and perhaps fall anyway... and I think I forgot one or two. Certainly, if that not very elegantly elaborated equation changes, then so too would my thinking about the quad).

I also think that if he wants the next Olympics in a big way - better start now instead of slowly building up and then not being ready. I say this because there was a lot of talk about throwing in the quad during the last Olympic year - but he never go to that place where he was comfortable in competition. I would rather see him struggle with it now in comps, than in 2010. Plus, he does have beautiful practice quads - so it's not like it is a totally new element for him.

emma

Record Breaker
He has a very tough field to face at Cup of Russia, and before that at Cup of China he faces Lambiel and Lysacek. He hasnt ever beaten Plushenko, he hasnt beaten Lambiel since they were juniors, and he hasnt beaten Lysacek since the 2006 Nationals.

I know....and I'm so excited :clap::clap: