new interview with Johnny Weir | Page 3 | Golden Skate

new interview with Johnny Weir

enlight78

Medalist
If johnny pulls out the level 4s and get GOE of +2 on about every thing. He can definitly medal against the current skaters. But this is a huge if.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that both Weir and Lysacek have the sensible attitude towards US Nationals in coming season and will regard it as an important competition, but still only as a compettion that opens the door for participation at Worlds. Not as the most important event of the year, because that is World Championships and not any Nationals....

Since Lysacek started to compete at Worlds he has been better than Weir there, and was better in Olympics as well. I like both skaters equally and really wish to see them both do well in Worlds 2008. I think that one can see a new motivation in Weir, at least he seems to be trying. Whether his new coach was the right choice among all available top coaches, remains to be seen. The coach and choreographer, he really needs both of them to be CoP-geniuses...

If Weir really manages to stay focused in skating starting in August, sees the skating training as his first priority in life this moment, it is likely that we can some good results from him. He is a very talented skater, an artist with good jumping and other material. A total package, but like other skaters, he needs to work diligently, LOL.

About quad I would have the opinion, that he should train it now along with other jumps, to try it at competitions, because experience and muscle memory is needed.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope that both Weir and Lysacek have the sensible attitude towards US Nationals in coming season and will regard it as an important competition, but still only as a compettion that opens the door for participation at Worlds. Not as the most important event of the year, because that is World Championships and not any Nationals....

I can't speak for them, but the national title seems incredibly important to them personally because it's their country's biggest event in their sport. Yeah Worlds is *bigger* but nationals - for them - is just as big. Quite possibly because of their rivalry. I don't know... but I don't think saying they shouldn't see it as such is all that fair. It's their competition and for whatever reason it's the *big prize* for both.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

You are so right. What people will remember you for when you career is over is your Worlds/Olympics success. Your great Nationals record is only really remembered if is in addition to a fairly great Worlds/Olympics succes (eg-Michelle Kwan, Brian Boitano, Todd Eldredge).

Janna - Absolutely. Any nationals be it Japan, Russia, Canada, France, China,or the US is a stepping stone for the Worlds or Olys. That's not to belittle the nationals of any country. They are meaningful to their competitors, and to a certain degree create an interest in their further participation in world-wide sports.

Joe