Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko has surgery on knees

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar

Plushenko has surgery on knees

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19726963

I wonder if he will be able to make a successful comeback this year as planned now

Custom Title
    I wish him a speedy and full recovery!!

Can anyone remind me - did he have this or similiar surgery before, I'm thinking perhaps around 2005?

Poor guy. Anything on the knees is detrimental in the long run even if successful. Hope the surgery goes well anyway and he comes out fighting.

Joe

On the Ice
    Ouch - I have cartilidge issues in my knees too, it's the reason I gave up competitive dancing. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Skating Freak Barbie
    No, he didn't have it before. He had hernia surgery in 2005. But he's apparantly been needing the knee surgery since 2003 or 2004, so it's good he finally got it done.

Banned
    I hope now he doesnt return. Sorry but I just enjoyed the more competive mens event last year without him. When Plushenko is there the judges will give him a 3-4 fall cushion before the event even starts with jacked up GOE and PCS marks. Even if he is too injured to return, and cant against his own wishes I would be happy for that.

^ You would be happy if Plushenko is so crippled up from the surgery that he can't skate anymore, in order to increase your pleasure in watching competitions?

Banned
    after all the hype, do you guys still believe he'll be able to return as scheduled, or even if he returns, will he be able to get back in shape and win?

I seriously doubt it.

Custom Title
    Not everybody agrees with Plushenko's record, but apparently he has the most technically superb jumps in the world. I was at a coaching seminar recently, where we studied various skaters jumps and techiques -- We studied Plushenko's jumps, especially his quad combo's - and biomechanically he was perfection.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotcoach View Post
    Not everybody agrees with Plushenko's record, but apparently he has the most technically superb jumps in the world. I was at a coaching seminar recently, where we studied various skaters jumps and techiques -- We studied Plushenko's jumps, especially his quad combo's - and biomechanically he was perfection.
    For jumps, he's great, and many agree with that. the problem is also there; he is a jumper, and even his spins aren't great (if I remember correctly... I don't watch him much), btu what irks me the most is the fact that his programs usually have all the jumps first, then a bunch of breaks... and the choreography and transitions are just blah, to me. I tend to find his PCS rather high for what he really does, although this isn't only with him. Don't kill me, just my opinion.

Kypma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotcoach View Post
    Now, I really respect Plushenko as a competitor and that he kept up his skills for so long, but I must disagre that his jumps were perfection.

He has a wonderful cat-like ability to be able to land technically flawed jumps (60% of his jumps to my eyes). He can have really bad take-offs in his axel jumps, toe-loop, flip, salchow, loop, and lutz, never achieve the desired perpendicular position (to the ice) and yet still land the jump(s). Many of his jumps go up crooked or wrong, but he has an uncanny knack of correcting the jumps mid-air, so that he can land them. I think that's the key to his success rather than technical perfection (which he has never shown).

When I think of technical (jump) perfection, I think of Ilya Kulik, Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir but I don't think of Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    He can have really bad take-offs in his axel jumps, toe-loop, flip, salchow, loop, and lutz,...
    But other than those six, what did you think of his jumps?
    ...never achieve the desired perpendicular position (to the ice) and yet still land the jump(s). Many of his jumps go up crooked or wrong, but he has an uncanny knack of correcting the jumps mid-air, so that he can land them.
    Todd Eldredge was like that, too. As Dick Button commented, you can throw a cat out ugly, but it always lands on its feet.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    you MUST be kidding. will plushenko never see the end of injury? How can he have a sucessful comeback now?

Rinkside
    best wishes to him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ You would be happy if Plushenko is so crippled up from the surgery that he can't skate anymore, in order to increase your pleasure in watching competitions?
    Yes. If that is the only way he wont return then absolutely.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast