Plushenko has surgery on knees | Golden Skate

Plushenko has surgery on knees

emma

Record Breaker
I wish him a speedy and full recovery!!

Can anyone remind me - did he have this or similiar surgery before, I'm thinking perhaps around 2005?

Poor guy. Anything on the knees is detrimental in the long run even if successful. Hope the surgery goes well anyway and he comes out fighting.

Joe

SolarisFyre

Rinkside
Ouch - I have cartilidge issues in my knees too, it's the reason I gave up competitive dancing. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Kasey

Medalist
No, he didn't have it before. He had hernia surgery in 2005. But he's apparantly been needing the knee surgery since 2003 or 2004, so it's good he finally got it done.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hope now he doesnt return. Sorry but I just enjoyed the more competive mens event last year without him. When Plushenko is there the judges will give him a 3-4 fall cushion before the event even starts with jacked up GOE and PCS marks. Even if he is too injured to return, and cant against his own wishes I would be happy for that.

^ You would be happy if Plushenko is so crippled up from the surgery that he can't skate anymore, in order to increase your pleasure in watching competitions?

netnuts

Match Penalty
after all the hype, do you guys still believe he'll be able to return as scheduled, or even if he returns, will he be able to get back in shape and win?

I seriously doubt it.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Not everybody agrees with Plushenko's record, but apparently he has the most technically superb jumps in the world. I was at a coaching seminar recently, where we studied various skaters jumps and techiques -- We studied Plushenko's jumps, especially his quad combo's - and biomechanically he was perfection.

Kypma

Final Flight
Not everybody agrees with Plushenko's record, but apparently he has the most technically superb jumps in the world. I was at a coaching seminar recently, where we studied various skaters jumps and techiques -- We studied Plushenko's jumps, especially his quad combo's - and biomechanically he was perfection.

For jumps, he's great, and many agree with that. the problem is also there; he is a jumper, and even his spins aren't great (if I remember correctly... I don't watch him much), btu what irks me the most is the fact that his programs usually have all the jumps first, then a bunch of breaks... and the choreography and transitions are just blah, to me. I tend to find his PCS rather high for what he really does, although this isn't only with him. Don't kill me, just my opinion.

Kypma

layman

On the Ice

Now, I really respect Plushenko as a competitor and that he kept up his skills for so long, but I must disagre that his jumps were perfection.

He has a wonderful cat-like ability to be able to land technically flawed jumps (60% of his jumps to my eyes). He can have really bad take-offs in his axel jumps, toe-loop, flip, salchow, loop, and lutz, never achieve the desired perpendicular position (to the ice) and yet still land the jump(s). Many of his jumps go up crooked or wrong, but he has an uncanny knack of correcting the jumps mid-air, so that he can land them. I think that's the key to his success rather than technical perfection (which he has never shown).

When I think of technical (jump) perfection, I think of Ilya Kulik, Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir but I don't think of Plushenko.

He can have really bad take-offs in his axel jumps, toe-loop, flip, salchow, loop, and lutz,...
:laugh: But other than those six, what did you think of his jumps? :)
...never achieve the desired perpendicular position (to the ice) and yet still land the jump(s). Many of his jumps go up crooked or wrong, but he has an uncanny knack of correcting the jumps mid-air, so that he can land them.
Todd Eldredge was like that, too. As Dick Button commented, you can throw a cat out ugly, but it always lands on its feet.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
you MUST be kidding. will plushenko never see the end of injury? How can he have a sucessful comeback now?

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
He has a wonderful cat-like ability to be able to land technically flawed jumps (60% of his jumps to my eyes). He can have really bad take-offs in his axel jumps, toe-loop, flip, salchow, loop, and lutz, never achieve the desired perpendicular position (to the ice) and yet still land the jump(s). Many of his jumps go up crooked or wrong, but he has an uncanny knack of correcting the jumps mid-air, so that he can land them. I think that's the key to his success rather than technical perfection (which he has never shown).

When I think of technical (jump) perfection, I think of Ilya Kulik, Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir but I don't think of Plushenko.

IIRC at 2003, COI in Dallas, Plushenko performed a 3 axel that had an extreme tilt in the air, only to land it cleanly with flow. He is absolutely the most amazing skater in person. His skating is almost too fast and too big for the rink. He's like a jumbo jet barreling with blinding speed--the most talented skater I've ever seen.
In another thread, elsewhere, the greatest coaches were discussed. Mishin must be considered when any mention of greatest coaches comes up. He had three Olympic champions in his tow Urmanov, Yagudin and Plushenko (never mind that Yagudin won his O gold after a few months with a new coach) and Plushenko was silver medalist the year Yagudin won his gold.

Last edited:
Can't help but think about Stephane Lambiel with two knee surgeries and then 2 gold medals in 2 World Championships.

Joe