Plushenko has surgery on knees | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko has surgery on knees

Zanzibar

Final Flight
He was surprizingly good , I mean everyone expected some sort of a disaster before the opening program, but it wasn't :laugh: He has very beautiful deep voice (IMO) and pretty good diction, so he sounded pretty neat. But that's not enough to be an outstanding host. You also need to know how to improvise, to add some humor. He was good, but I wouldn't pay him 700.000$ for that,

He does have a very pleasant deep voice - and welcome to GS!
And you're right that the ability to improvise - especially in the event of a technical difficulty - is a great asset in television.

Plushenko said during our interview (this part got cut out of the final version) that he does not read a teleprompter when on camera, but rather has an earpiece in which the producers are feeding him information and what to say. If anyone has ever seen the fabulous movie "Broadcast News" then you know that relying on an earpiece can go horribly wrong, LOL, with hysterical consequences.

Now that the offer to Plushenko was made public, one can be sure that Auverbukh's phone has been ringing off the hook from other show cast members, not happy with the news, and now interested in equaling - or at least nearing - his financial offer. Generally these negotiations, just like earnings on a tour, are kept somewhat secret - just for this reason.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
How much do top skaters make for a tour or show (more or less)?

I read somewhere that the US tours pay the skaters on a "per show" basis, so there is no way that a skater could make 700K touring with a US show at this time. (Supposedly, MK earned over a million for the post-SLC COI tour, but that was close to 90 shows)

waxel

Final Flight
I wish Plushenko a full recovery from his surgery, but I hope he doesn't return to competition. Never been a fan.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think one of the biggest money-maker tours, in recent history (post Tonya/Nancy boom years) was the 2002 post SLC Olympic tour for Champions On Ice.

They did around 90-92 cities, so Michelle could have easily made $1M on that tour as there were other non-US skaters making around $8,000 per night (....tour pay is a lot like, um, other certain things in life that people tend to "enlarge" when bragging about ;) )and pairs teams supposedly as high as around $12,000 night.

Generally the Olympic champions make the most, but Sasha Cohen is an exception to that. Other popular skaters that you see quite a bit around the world can be had for as little as $2-$3,000 per show.

For special shows I've seen skaters get in excess of $50,000 per night and even haul in $15-$20,000 per show for a charity event. One misunderstood facet of charity shows is that quite often the skaters are paid, so they aren't really contributing to the charity in any way. There are exceptions to that, but sometimes a skater won't do a charity show if he isn't paid.

If Plushenko can pull of $700,000 that would be amazing. The money would actually probably be coming from Channel 1 and the sponsors, and not really Auverbukh per se. I was told that to be the host, mainly you only have to work one day per week - although it is a long one - from early morning to perhaps 2:00 am. But if they do around 15 shows, that works out to almost $50,000 per episode....and that is considerable for a figure skating series.

Last edited:

yahalom

Spectator
- and welcome to GS!

My pleasure!!

Now , I have a question to Zanzibar: do you think he'll accept that offer? Zhenya made all the possible PR mistakes imaginable in the post-olympic season;
and now,after all the comeback fuss that he , Ari and ANM made , it would be ...mmmm...a very delicate situation. ;),

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Yes, if that really was a legitimate offer, then I think he'll take it.

But, that doesn't preclude doing eligible events. He's already hosted, so he knows the drill. It takes roughly one day and night per week...the only complicating factor would be the having to go back and forth between Moscow and Piter....unless he could find a rink AND get Mishin to spend time in Moscow.

He could still do Cup of Russia OR if he doesn't fell 100% by then (or 90%, because that's probably all he'll need to beat the field) he could still opt out, do RN's, and hit Euros and Worlds. It's not like COR is some huge deal - more just a way to compete at an eligible competition and get his new program out there in front of the judges before the major events after the New Year.

Zanzibar - You are an ardent fan of this remnant of the Soviet School of Figure Skating.

I do not feel I have to root for him since he was never someone I thought as special. To me, he was/is an incredible jumper but left me cold in his presentations except for one SP in Germany in their last GP.

He will definitely get the Roar of the Crowd in his home country much more than Lutai and Uspenski. He knows how to upstage with his many pauses and looks for wows. Some people like this. I don't.

He will be up against Buttle, a much improved Berntsson, Lambiel and another of your favorites, Weir.

He will definitely win this competition on reputation, sympathy (for knees), and judges fears, imo.

However, he may skate the best, and I will be the first to acknowledge that. If not, he will definitely be on the podium. He's the only male skater that can get Russia 3 places for the Olys.

Will Weir be left off?

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Zanzibar - You are an ardent fan of this remnant of the Soviet School of Figure Skating.

:yes: Joe, you are cracking me up with that word, "remnant". It reminds of a "remnant sale"...you know...where stores unload their old and dinged up inventory! Of course Plushenko probably gets the occasional boost from an intimidated judging panel, but that in no way negates his overwhelming superiority and domination over all other eligible male figure skaters on the planet.

Gosh, if only someone could be coaxed out of retirement to challenge him...:laugh:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I cannot suppose this financial offer to Yevgeny Plyushchenko to have been Ilya Averbukh's idea, for two reasons.

First, in the article about the $700,000 offer, on http://tden.ru/articles/bazzar/016163/ , it is stated that "warm relations with the producers (with
exception of Ilya averbukh, perhaps) were formed", i.e., it implies that the Russian press thinks things may not be so warm between Ilya and Yevgeny.

Second, as I recall, Yevgeny's agent, Ari Zakaryan, spoke ill of Ilya Averbukh to the press, not so very long ago, when Ilya had signed Totmyanina and Marinin to his tour, after they had been signed to Yevgeny's tour.

Unless Ilya were trying to placate Yevgeny, perhaps in the hope that Yevgeny would not go through with his public threat to sue Maksim Marinin, I cannot really imagine Ilya being the one who is so anxious to have Yevgeny participate in the second Russian "Stars on Ice" TV show.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I think it was not Averbukh's idea. Producers of Channel One, where the show will be broadcasted made this offer, I suppose.

Vitacus

Rinkside
Last edited: