Japan vs USA competition in October | Golden Skate

Japan vs USA competition in October

rutinia

Match Penalty
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/f-sp-tp0-20070714-227186.html

Japan Skating Federation decided to hold a Japan vs USA figure skating competition (same with last year's Campbells) from October sixth to seventh at Shin-Yokohama skate center. In this season, JUNIOR skaters are to be included. Miki Ando and Mao Asada will be the central members of the Team Japan.

Good news! Mirai Nagasu must represent the USA.

Any news yet on the full roster? Will it be a team competition?

I wonder who will be invited from the U.S. I feel sorry for poor little Mirai if she has to be the standard bearer all by herself against the senior World Gold and Silver medalists! :)

From what I gather, it is just before Campbells and less than 2 weeks to Skate America. Maybe Christine Zurkowski and Katy Taylor will go to Yokohama.

And will Miki and Mao be rushing back to do Campbells?

BTW both Invitationals are interspersed with Jr. Grand Prix events and class B events so how many juniors will make the trip?

Ooooh these cheesefests!

Joe

rutinia

Match Penalty
The roster is not published yet. It's only one week before Campbells (or whatever called). That wont prevent the top skaters from the US to participate. In 2005, Johnny Weir competed at Japan International Challenge in early October, then seven days after that, he participated Campbells. It depends on the negotiation between JSF and USFSA. At least Meissner and Weir should be on the US team.

rutinia - hmmm. I get your point....."Show me the money" These sponsors can fork over a good deal. Kwan would never miss one.

rutinia

Match Penalty
And same as Weir, Arakawa and Honda participated both events.
The US side surely wants to invite Mao to Campbells. That will ensure TV money and audiences from Japan.

And same as Weir, Arakawa and Honda participated both events.
The US side surely wants to invite Mao to Campbells. That will ensure TV money and audiences from Japan.
and most of all, for the skaters to get all expenses paid and a very nice stipend for showing up.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article.
Good news! Mirai Nagasu must represent the USA.
I would hope so;) She is a wonderful asset as a skater to USA and a very nice young lady. I think there may be something to the way she was treated during the USA coverage of Nationals that IMO seemed like Caroline was SO focused on during the coverage - even though Mirai had just won the gold - it would leave me feeling a little "left out to dry." Mirai also had a "profile segment" but during the "live" coverage or questions, no attention really seemed to go her way. Did she even get asked a question directly as I am positive Caroline had at least 4 direct for her. I am sure it would leave me wondering, "do they even want me?" But I think Mirai wouldn't let something like that effect her.

Anyway, just an IMO from the coverage of Nats long sense passed but not forgotten that maybe a little OT. I might have brought it up then too.

feraina

Record Breaker
Didn't Mirai get a "Little Girls Have Dreams Too" segment at this past National's? And Dick Button was talking about her parents and her schedule and her financial situation, etc. We didn't hear much about Caroline in these matters. Oh, and there was also a little profile segment on Mirai where we were told about her family, and she was shown speaking a bit of Japanese, right?

They were always interviewed together at National's -- at the exhibition, they were introduced together and were asked some questions together, and then they skated one after another, and had some fluff time together again at the end -- if I'm remembering correctly. I remember at the time some people were complaining that Caroline shouldn't have been allowed to perform in the exhibition at all, not that she was given more attention or face time.

It's true that at Marshall's Showcase, though both performed, only Caroline was shown later in the TV broadcast, and she was asked quite a few questions. But that was a different event, and the broadcasters would have more say than USFSA over the TV line-up. And by then, Caroline had won the JW gold versus Mirai's gold at National's -- most would agree that the former is a little more prestigious.

rutinia

Match Penalty
Plausible participants

Japan
Ladies - Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Mai Asada or Ayane Nakamura
Men - Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka, ???

USA
Ladies - Kimmie Meissner, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner?
Men - Johnny Weir, ???, ???

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai Nagasu's second JGP event (assuming she places top 4 in her first) is likely to be JGP Croatia, September 27-30. Having to do a second event just a week later on the other side of the world is a bit much, IMO.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mirai Nagasu may very well have a second JGP assignment if she fares well at her first in Lake Placid, NY. The 5th and 6th JGPs (still unassigned) are Sept. 27-30 in Zagreb, Croatia (probable one for Nagasu), and Oct. 4-7, 2007 in Sofia, Bulgaria (same weekend as this Japan invitational comp.).

According to a post at FSU, Nagasu has been invited to perform in the Olympus ice show, July 29-30, in Nagoya, Japan. Good thing she lives on the west coast if she will be making all these trips to Japan!

ETA: chuckm and I had the same thought at almost the same time. ;)

rutinia

Match Penalty
Nagasu's second JGP assignment is not decided yet, right?
And actually, this is not a serious event. Perheps FS only.
Not a big deal but a big reward for a middle class teenager.
If she has an offer (for sure), she wont decline.

As for Japan's side, four regionals are to be held at the same weekend. Chubu regional is one week earlier. This could limit the possible participants to skaters around Nagoya.

Last edited:
[Mirai] is a wonderful asset as a skater to USA and a very nice young lady. I think there may be something to the way she was treated during the USA coverage of Nationals that IMO seemed like Caroline was SO focused on during the coverage - even though Mirai had just won the gold - it would leave me feeling a little "left out to dry."
I think that was understandable, though. A lot of the Caroline! Caroline! hype was done before the contest was over, and planned long beforehand.

Caroline was a huge story going in, having swpt the junior grand prix circuit by record-breaking scores. Meanwhile, Mirai was flying under the radar, not having even made it out of regionals the year before. Even when Mirai came in first after the short program there was a feeling of, oh, Caroline made a mistake, but it will all come right in the free skate.

So I don't think there was any deliberate attempt to downplay Mirai's achievement.

Now, of course, it's a whole new ball game, with both of them in the spotlight along with Ashley and Rachael. :rock:

Nigel

On the Ice
Ashley and Rachael in the spotlight? I think Ms Zhang has managed and to a lesser degree, Mirai, have done that quite nicely on their own. Ms Wagner and Ms Flatt seem to be afterthoughts for the media at this point, but IMO, won't be once the season starts. We are hoping that Wagner has terrific outings on the SGP this season and likewise for Flatt on the JGP.

Plausible participants

Japan
Ladies - Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Mai Asada or Ayane Nakamura
Men - Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka, ???

USA
Ladies - Kimmie Meissner, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner?
Men - Johnny Weir, ???, ???
I don't think Kimmie will make that trip on the heels of Campbells and Skate America unless of course, there is a big stipend for her waiting in Yokohama.

Joe

rutinia

Match Penalty
I don't think Kimmie will make that trip on the heels of Campbells and Skate America unless of course, there is a big stipend for her waiting in Yokohama.

I named Meissner because this is likely to be another IMG event.
Mirai Nagasu is their next target.
She's invited to Olympus ice show of late July.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for the thoughts on Mirai. I think the spot they had on her was more of a "meet the skaters" but it may have been one of those "little girls have dreams" segments. ??? I understand the points made, and did, but felt the "duel interviews" seemed very Caroline even with Mirai just standing there. I hate this to sound like a complaint, but at that moment(s) wondered how she feels "just standing there." Maybe it was to make up for the time Mirai had for the segment to ask Caroline all the questions. ???

And is Miki going to be recovered from her knee issues???