Which singles skaters' PBs can be blown away? | Golden Skate

Which singles skaters' PBs can be blown away?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Alot of singles skaters have international PBs in either the short or free programs which present a challenge for them to top again. Then there are some skaters who have a PB in either the short or free program that is seemingly waiting to be just destroyed by that skater. What are some of the skaters you can think of that have an international PB that the skater has the potential to just blow away you think. Here are some that come to mind for me:

Evan Lysacek's short program PB- 73.49. We all know he can do much better then that with a clean short, probably even without the quad.

Stephane Lambiel's short program PB-80.60. He could absolutely blow this one to pieces, which I am just waiting for him to do a clean short again so he can. This PB was set with lower level elements, and an event judges were very stingy giving out PC and GOE marks. He could top this by around 7 points if he did a clean program I think.

Stephane Lambiel's free program PB-160.92. Another score he can easily have an enormous increase on. He almost tied it at Worlds with 3 major mistakes in the free program.

Johnny Weir's free program PB- 146.20. He set this PB over 2 years ago. He definitely has the potential to beat this easily if he can just do a clean COP-friendly free program.

Yu Na Kim's free program PB- 119.32. Definitely the potentialy to greatly increase this in the near future.

Here are some that come to mind for me.

Yu-na Kim for sure. All she had to do was not fall down twice in the LP at worlds to beat her PB handily.

BTW, in checking this out I see that Kim already has the record highest score for a ladies SP, 71.95.

But even cooler than that, the ISU keeps track of the "progression of highest scores." The first name on the SP list is -- and ever more shall be -- Daria Timoshenko! :rock:

Evidently she was the first competitor to skate in the very first event judged under the CoP, which was the 2003 Niebelhorn Trophy.

This mark stood until Jennifer Don skated a little later in the same event. Don won the SP and overall, so then Don was the all-time champ until...

A month later at Skate America the skate order was Volchkova, Corwin, Kirk. Arakawa and Cohen. Each slightly beat the last and held the all-time record for a hot second until the next skater was called. Sasha then beat her own record at Skate Canada the next week -- and that record stood from October 2003 until Kim 's 2007 Worlds SP. :clap:

Last edited:
What about Alissa Czisny? Does she have a chance of ever beating her personal best?

At 2005 Skate Canada she set her personal best record in the short (58.54), the long (109.78) and overall (168.32). In the SP she hit everything and took a negative GOE only on her double Axel.

In the LP her only mistake was doubling her solo flip, but she did 2 Lutzes, 2 flips, 3 combos and had a total GOE of only -.34 total on her jump elements. :clap:

It would be so cool if she could match that in her international assignments this season.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I honestly havent studies Czisnys protocals enough to know if her scoring potential is significantly higher then that at this point. If you follow her more closely, to the point of examining her scores more, you would have a better idea then I would on that. With her spins, spirals, and overall skating her scoring potential SHOULD be signifcantly higher then that though IMO. If it isnt given those attributes, her mediocre jump quality notwithstanding, then there is something wrong with the system IMO.

When someone decides to put up a thread on skaters i am losing interest in, there are several I could mention because I already gave them my 'last chance'. However, that would be nasty and I do try to be diplomatic and tolerant.
:cry:

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Verner and Berntsson completely blew away their PB's in LP's last season.

Which of the men will take the leap and up their technical content significantly. I think that's the key.

I honestly havent studies Czisnys protocals enough to know if her scoring potential is significantly higher then that at this point. If you follow her more closely, to the point of examining her scores more, you would have a better idea then I would on that. With her spins, spirals, and overall skating her scoring potential SHOULD be signifcantly higher then that though IMO. If it isnt given those attributes, her mediocre jump quality notwithstanding, then there is something wrong with the system IMO.
IMO Alissa gets so nervous about the jumps that three things happen, all bad. She often falls; even when she lands a jump the preparation and take-off have us holding our breath wondering what's going to happen; and in addition she approaches the jump elements with such trepidation that it takes away from other aspects of the program, like transitions.

Alissa has delivered two nearly perfect LPs. One was her all-time ISU best (109 points at 2006 Skate Canada)) and the other was 2007 U.S. nationals (119 points). Chalking up the extra ten points to score inflation at national events, these performances were virtually identical. The jumps were exactly the same except for a slight upgrade from 2A+2T to 3T+2T in the latter event. She even made the same mistake (doubling the solo flip) in both performances.

The biggest difference in the protocols is in GOEs on non-jump elements (+6.65 at nationals, +3.48 at Skate Canada).

What really made these programs outstanding, though (besides no falls) was no major GOE deductions on jump elements.

Adding additional technical content (a triple-triple, say) is not realy an option at this point. IMO opinion her best chance to top her personal best is to follow Sasha's route. Cobble together an adaquate jump card, work on secure entrances and exits from her jumps hoping for 0 GOE (if she falls, shake it off, on with the show), and blow the roof off the place with her spins, spirals and presentation. :rock: 7.50-7.75s in PCSs, 120 points overall, and a new personal best!

Last edited:
Yet she (Czisny) has not yet produced not ony a win but not even a podium at Worlds. What is the point of these stats? If it's for the sake of stats as is in Baseball, all well and good. Barry Bonds will achieve the point of breaking Aaron's record. But will San Francisco win the Series?

Joe

There are lots of skaters whose performances I enjoy, even though they are not world medalists.

Kasey

Medalist
There are lots of skaters whose performances I enjoy, even though they are not world medalists.

And there are going to be a lot more non-medalists than medalists at any event you name. It would be a shame if the only ones deemed worthy of enjoyment, or discussion or debate, would be the three medalists for the event. What a waste, overlooking such other talents.

I certainly agree. I go out of my way to see many many talented skaters and they don't have to win medals. They don't even have to get high scores which I think this thread is all about.

emma

Record Breaker
Striving for, and obtaining - then even topping - your OWN personal best doesn't have to equal 'a high score.' I gather that is, in part, what MM was exploring with Czisny - a truly wonderful skater. And it is interesting to think about with her in particular because I remember just how exciting her Skate Canada comp was for many general skating fans. I would be thrilled to see her top that - it would be wonderful to watch.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that Mao will continue to get higher scores, and yes, I have to agree about Yu-na Kim. Her personal best for the long can be beaten if she could only skate clean.

One U.S. skater who I hope will be able to top her personal best next season is Katy Taylor.

Taylor's PB in international competition came at 2006 Four Continents (which she won), and she also skated well at U.S. Nationals that year, placing fourth (she was the first alternate for the Olympic team, after Michelle withdrew). Taylor's score at 4Cs was 57.26 in the short and 106.62 in the long.

In that LP performance she left almost 5 points on the table by popping her triple loop attempt into a single, ending up with only 0.33 points on the element. Also she did only 2 combos (3Lz+2T and 3F+2T). Maybe the loop was intended to be something like 3Lo+2T+2Lo. In any case, she could have picked up an extra 3 points or so by tacking a couple of doubles on to something -- and probably raised her PCSs accordingly as well.

So if she could duplicate the magic of that performance and squeeze out an extra 10 points or so overall, that would bring her personal best up to the 116 range. This would be a super achievement. :clap:

But it's not easy. Without a triple-triple, the layout of her elements is pretty much maxed out. So she would have to skate a perfect program. :yes:

Last edited:
Striving for, and obtaining - then even topping - your OWN personal best doesn't have to equal 'a high score.' I gather that is, in part, what MM was exploring with Czisny - a truly wonderful skater. And it is interesting to think about with her in particular because I remember just how exciting her Skate Canada comp was for many general skating fans. I would be thrilled to see her top that - it would be wonderful to watch.
I know what you are saying. I saw her in Atlantic City as well as in St.Johns and she was magic in both. Unfortunately, nothing really breathtaking since. We'll see her at CoR and NHK before year end. Let's keep the faith.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
This doesn't mean they'll contend, but I think these skaters have a very good chance to score well over their current international PB's:

Men:

Zelenka
Chan
Nurmenkari
Ponsero

Dance:
Navarro/Bommentre
Rubleva/Schaefer
Caron/Jost
Pechelat/Bourzat
Khoklova/Novitski

Ladies:
Hawker
Xu
Karademir
Glebova
Wieczorek

Pairs:
Langlois/Hay
Efaieva/Menshikov
Vartmann/Just
Kawaguchi/Smirnov

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
This doesn't mean they'll contend, but I think these skaters have a very good chance to score well over their current international PB's:

Men:

Zelenka
Chan
Nurmenkari
Ponsero

Dance:
Navarro/Bommentre
Rubleva/Schaefer
Caron/Jost
Pechelat/Bourzat
Khoklova/Novitski

Ladies:
Hawker
Xu
Karademir
Glebova
Wieczorek

Pairs:
Langlois/Hay
Efaieva/Menshikov
Vartmann/Just
Kawaguchi/Smirnov

I know that is not a prediction list, so I am not going to hold you to that as a prediction, but it will be interesting to see how many of those you pick out who have significant PB "potential" actually do hit a signifcant PB. It is good to see someone picking names other then from the top group though.

rutinia

Match Penalty
Most of the skaters younger than 25 have chances to incease their PBs.
Why don't you point out "very difficult cases"?

Nobunari Oda
For anyone without quads, it's absolutely impossible to renew his scores at NHK.
Even if has a quad, it's still very difficult.

Yuna Kim's SP
71.95 is 4-5 points inflated, a conjuncture created by many fortunate conditions.
Something like this could happen for someone once in a season.

Meissner's LP
She definitely needs a 3A or a 3-3Lo combo to break her PB.

Katy Taylor
Her scores at 4CC are 25 points higher than her second best.
I know the Americans wanted an American to win.

Last edited: