Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which American pair will break out in 2007/2008 season?

Banned

Which American pair will break out in 2007/2008 season?

U.S. is currently having a very deep bench of young pair skaters. Many of them have either done very well at junior international level or shown great potential at senior international stage.

2007/2008 will be a season many of them want to make a breakthrough. If you want to place a bet, which pair do you believe will seize the opportunity and shine at senior international competitions? Which pairs will make the team to compete at 2008 world championships? and Why? Will veterans I&B finally make a breakthrough and medal at world championships with S&Z and Pet & T retiring. Who will have the best international placing?

Here are some of the American pair skaters that will compete at Sr. grand prix.

1. Brooke CASTILE / Benjamin OKOLSKI, 2006/2007 U.S. national champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAgZ4L504Q

2. Naomi Nari NAM /Themistocles LEFTHERIS, 2006/2007 U.S. national bronze medalists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFVyBj7jcxw

3. Tiffany VISE / Derek TRENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H74uLfyT1pA

4. Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER, 2007 Junior World champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv76KnYxQ6E

7. Julia VLASSOV / Drew MEEKINS, 2006 Junior world champions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfeqCstzfVU

8. Rena INOUE / John BALDWIN

My bet is on Brooke CASTILE / Benjamin OKOLSKI. They showed great potential at 2007 Nationals. The only technical deficiency for this pair is lack of consistent sbs triple jumps.
    Last edited by netnuts; 07-15-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well, Namiotka/Coughlin aren't together anymore, so it won't be them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose050 View Post
    Well, Namiotka/Coughlin aren't together anymore, so it won't be them.
    Oh, really? Their name are still on 'Cup of Russia' roster. Who are going to replace them I hope Julia VLASSOV / Drew MEEKINS get the nod. They are not that flashy, do not have the best lines and quality of skating.But these two youngers seem to be very hard workers, and have made progress in consistency and technical difficulty after each competition. They now have reliable triple jumps. I wouldn't be surprised if these two will win out in the long run.

Custom Title
    I think I & B may have seen their best days. I have high hopes for NN & L, V & T and Mclaughlin and Brubaker. Less hopeful for C & O after the 12th place finish at Worlds --- not a bad placement really, but somewhat discouraging.

Banned

amazing

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

If you take a look at pairs roster, it's kind of amazing how many slots American pairs get for 2007/2008. There are 48 slots in total, U.S. get 12, which is 25% of total.

U.S. 12/48
    Russia: 9/48
    Canada: 7/48
    China: 7/48
    Russia:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    I. Less hopeful for C & O after the 12th place finish at Worlds --- not a bad placement really, but somewhat discouraging.
    Why? I, on the contrary, believe they have the most potential. Their lackluster performance at worlds was partly due to her sudden illness. The debut performance at such interntional competions was always hard as well.

I think their technique is far sounder than the other up comers. Their throws, lifts, twists are all amazing with good speed and ice coverage. SBS triples are key for them though.

I'm not sold on NNN&T. The other Jr. teams may break up at any minute.

Custom Title
    McLaughlin & Brubaker were quite impressive (on the webcast) in their senior debut at the Broadmoor Open club competition last month (they scored 59.12 in the SP and 98.25 in the FS). They're still "only" doing side-by-side double axels, but their pair elements (lateral 3twist, lifts, throw 3salchow with good distance, etc.) are strong and they should be ready for their Senior Grand Prix debut this fall. Last I heard, they're scheduled to compete at Liberty next week and Indy Challenge in August.

Both Castile & Okolski and Vlassov & Meekins are scheduled to compete their Senior SP at Skate Detroit at the end of this month.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    McLaughlin & Brubaker were quite impressive (on the webcast) in their senior debut at the Broadmoor Open club competition last month (they scored 59.12 in the SP and 98.25 in the FS). They're still "only" doing side-by-side double axels, but their pair elements (lateral 3twist, lifts, throw 3salchow with good distance, etc.) are strong and they should be ready for their Senior Grand Prix debut this fall. Last I heard, they're scheduled to compete at Liberty next week and Indy Challenge in August.

Is it possible to download those videos? LOL. Are they still on the website?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by netnuts View Post
    Is it possible to download those videos?
    Well, not legally since the video copyright belongs to the Broadmoor Open's official videographer and webcaster, Local Motion Productions.

Are they still on the website?
    I originally posted the 2007 Broadmoor Open webcast info at: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16913

There *could* be downloadable videos of M&B after Liberty IF all things work out...

ETA: I'm still sad about Namiotka/Coughlin -- here's the News thread about their split: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16996
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-15-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Naomi Nari NAM /Themistocles LEFTHERIS is my choice. They have REALLY good side by side tripes and they have good chemistry together. I think that Castile and Olkoski have really good skating (triple twist is huge, throws are much bigger than any of the other american pairs) but somehow i feel that they still have to prove themselves. Can they pull it out everytime?

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by netnuts View Post
    Oh, really? Their name are still on 'Cup of Russia' roster. .
    Last time I looked so were Chait/Sakhnovski's on the dance rosters. (The .pdf isn't opening for me now.)

August 15 is the day that the Feds have to say which skaters have accepted their invitations, and I'd expect updated rosters, with declines soon after. We should know then, for example, if Denkova/Staviyski are planning not to skate this season.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    I think I & B may have seen their best days. I have high hopes for NN & L, V & T and Mclaughlin and Brubaker. Less hopeful for C & O after the 12th place finish at Worlds --- not a bad placement really, but somewhat discouraging.
    IIRC, Brooke had the flu at Worlds. And they still finished 12th. I wonder what they would've placed if she'd been healthy.

I'll be cheering on Brooke and Ben! Loved watching them live in STL... and their win this past year was awesome (so wish I'd been there!)

My money's on Brooke and Ben! They're the only ones with enough power and technical difficulty to compete with the Chinese. I think their 12th place finish at Worlds is respectable, considering Brooke's illness and that it was their first trip.

I like Naomi Nari Nam and Themistocles Leftheris, but they skate more like two singles skaters than an actual pair. I'll be interested to see if they gel better this year.

Vise and Trent-- I just don't think mirror pairs have much of a shot. It just looks too weird, and they have to get so far apart during some of their elements.

McLaughlin and Brubaker look very promising! I'll be excited to see their growth this season.

Vlassov and Meekins, I think, need more musicality and speed, but I like some of their interesting variations on elements.

Inoue and Baldwin. I worry that they have hit a plateau; I hope I'm wrong.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchherder View Post
    My money's on Brooke and Ben! They're the only ones with enough power and technical difficulty to compete with the Chinese. I think their 12th place finish at Worlds is respectable, considering Brooke's illness and that it was their first trip.

Vise and Trent-- I just don't think mirror pairs have much of a shot. It just looks too weird, and they have to get so far apart during some of their elements.
    I agree about Brooke and Ben. their Split triple twist is really awesome, and they've said they pan to add side-by-side triples this year. Theirs lifts are also good, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll fare this year.

As to mirror pairs... when it's well done, I really like it. Although I'm not crazy over the side-by-side jumps, the spins, when they're on, are quite mesmerizing to me. They're just rarely well done the whole spin long...

Kypma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast