Accommodations | Golden Skate

Accommodations

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Try looking at hotels in Ste Foy. That's where the train station is and you can catch a bus to downtown really easily. Junior Nationals were held there a couple of years ago, and there are a bunch of hotels on the road near the train station.

jayta

Rinkside
Well question around here would be, how viable is it to get around Quebec city without a vehicle too? Because I am realizing how expensive it's going to be and I'm not sure I'll be able to go at this rate. (Duh, should have calculated costs first). But if I could maybe get around the city without having to rent a car, it might help out with expenses.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I think that part of Junior Cdns a couple of years ago was held at the Pepsi Centre -----should have remembered, sorry!

We stayed at hotels on the main strip in Ste Foy - and while there were buses to the venue, often we took cabs and it wasn't that expensive. I think the ride is about $7-10 from the hotels. There are city buses, which we took for shopping, that are frequent and less expensive.

Can't beat a cab if there are a few of you heading out to the rink.

If you rent a car, driving around downtown Quebe City can be a parking challenge. The streets are narrow and sometimes confusing, although I have dirven them in the touristy summer time.

Best advice is to stay in Ste Foy. It is closer to both the airport and the train. I think the cab ride was about $25 from the airport.

Once you are at the venue, you won't leave for a while, so a cab is actually not a bad price.

BTW There is a huge indoor amusement centre inside a mall in Ste Foy, which we never had time to go to. Plus great shopping!

jayta

Rinkside
I'm really hoping I won't have to sell my tickets and can scrounge up enough money to go this year. Part of this trip is because I've never been to Quebec, so it definitely would be interesting. The sad part is I think I will have to go alone because most of my friends either aren't interested or can't afford to go. :( *sigh*

So another vacation by myself. I hope I can do this on my own (moneywise and language/lose-ability wise) haha. Victoria was great because it wasn't a huge place. I am not so sure about Quebec City. Haha. I am planning on giving myself a couple of extra days to actually sight see this time. Hopefully everything goes well though. I'm hoping for a miracle moneywise, like someone feeling charitable and paying for my tickets. (Yeah right ...haha.)

redhotcoach

On the Ice
We stayed at the Hotel Gouverneur during Junior Nationals in Ste Foy. There was a great breakfast included and the rooms were comfortable and reasonable( at least at that time). Here's the link.....www.greatcanadianhotels.com/EN/ourhotels/ourhotels_qc_stefoy_hotelgouverneur.asp at the Hotel de Gouvenors

A few of the coaches and skaters took the city bus to old Quebec City from our hotel and said it was easy to get around.

Take a look at the city bus system in Ste Foy (mapquest the Pepsi Centre and the hotel) and then check what buses go there. It might be just one transfer.

Food was reasonable because breakfast was included with the hotel, and there is a shopping centre not far with a grocery store, and Zellers - which had a great diner! Also there are the usual Kelseys or St Hubert chicken etc within walking distance with take-out.

cygnus

Rinkside
Last time I stayed at the Best Western, which is about half way between the arena and downtown- the Hotel Pur (formerly the Holiday Inn) is right across the street. Both have buses going by that run right to the arena (the hotels were very helpful in giving bus information). It's also possible to walk to the arena from there (a little over half an hour) if the weather is good and you like walking. Downtown is just a bus in the other direction, or a good walk (uphill!). I'll probably stay at one of these hotels this time, since they are convenient. They are certainly closer to the action than St . Foy, although not as close as staying downtown.

Quebec city is definitely worth the trip! One of the most historic cities in North America, and beautiful too!

jayta

Rinkside
I would stay at the city hotels except they get a little pricey.

But I would love it if there was anyone who has been to Quebec city or lives there that has some good suggestions for places to see and maybe places to eat (not your average eating establishments) that you couldn't find in other provinces?

Olenska

Rinkside
I live in Québec city, but I don't know it that much. What I know is that there is a lot of motels on Wilfrid-Hamel blvd, which is the street where the Colisée Pepsi is.

Here are some hotels I know, who are not necessarily on Hamel, but are affordable, to my knowledge:

http://www.abitation.com/en/index_en.html

http://www.hotellecofortelquebec.com/introang.html

http://www.chateaurepotel.com/

In any case, this Yellow Pages site might help you:

http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/?stype=si&src=&what=Hotels&where=Quebec&x=0&y=0

And this one too, it has info about other stuff in Québec city:

http://www.quebecplus.ca/feature/english/55/

This is the website of the public transportation system:

http://www.rtcquebec.ca

It's only in French. From what I see, the interesting lines would be the 12, which would take you from the Old town to the Colisée in roughly 1/2 an hour; the 4, with a similar course. In any case, you can always inquire at the place you book for the convenient bus rides.

From what I see, if you're on foot, the downtown hotels would be more advantageous, because that's where the buses depart from. If you have a car, Wilfrid-Hamel blvd surely will yield affordable places. Forget the Old town if you're on a budget: even the B&Bs are probably high priced. The hotels on Laurier blvd could be reasonbly priced at that time of the year, but I think the public transportation would not be exactly practical. The problem stems from the fact that most lines are east-west, so moving south-north is always a problem. But like I said, I'm not highly cognizant in the bus system.

If there's any question I can answer, I'll be happy to do so!

jayta

Rinkside
I am booked in at the Hotel du Nord I believe. Pretty decent deal for only a 5 min cab ride.

I just booked my plane tickets too! Yay! Now I just have to save up enough money to not get myself in debt to go see this. AAAAAND hopefully my planes and trains aren't delayed or things like that so I don't miss any of my connections!

Anyone else getting excited? I have no clue what I'm going to be doing in Quebec City. I don't have anyone to sightsee with. :( But I'm sure I'll get along fine.

Olenska

Rinkside
Upthread, I mentioned bus runs that accomodate the Colisée Pepsi. I didn't tell you about the bus fare, tho.

It's 2,30$ for one ticket. But you can buy a day pass for 5,95$. And if you have to take another bus for a transfer, you ask the driver and it's free.

ETA: I live in Québec city, so I could meet some of you, if you wish, to do some sightseeing. But I have to mention that I'm flat broke, lol.

Kypma

Final Flight
Ok my question isn't exactly about accomodations but I'm not comfortable creating a new thread for it, so here goes:
how cold is it in the arena, for the spectators? Skate Canada will be my first ever live event, so I have no idea whether I need a good sweater or a simple long-sleeved shirt to be comfortable in the arena... could someone please enlighten me? Thanks! :biggrin:

Kypma

Olenska

Rinkside
Well, it depends on how cold you get: I am comfortable with a long-sleeved t-shirt of some thickness, but you have people spending the whole show with their jacket on. Do you get cold easily?

It's warmer than outside at this time of year (in Québec city), I'd guess. Though I'm no good with numbers, I'll guess it's around 15-18C.

In any case, you'll need a jacket for outside, so if you get cold inside the arena, you can always put it on.

Kypma

Final Flight
Well, it depends on how cold you get: I am comfortable with a long-sleeved t-shirt of some thickness, but you have people spending the whole show with their jacket on. Do you get cold easily?

It's warmer than outside at this time of year (in Québec city), I'd guess. Though I'm no good with numbers, I'll guess it's around 15-18C.

In any case, you'll need a jacket for outside, so if you get cold inside the arena, you can always put it on.

Thanks Olenska! :) I was wondering because I usually skate with a nice warm sweater on :)

Kypma