"Dreams on Ice 2007" in Japan | Golden Skate

"Dreams on Ice 2007" in Japan

leode

Rinkside
"Dreams on Ice 2007" in Yokohama, Japan
Date: 07/15/2007 12:00
Place: Shin Yokohama Ice Skating Center

Here are my report from "Dreams on Ice 2007" at Yokohama in Japan. Shin Yokohama Ice Skating Center is small place(2,000 people). So, lucky I was in the front of row seat, so I had a great vantage point. It was heavy rain and the typhoon was coming, I think it's bad day. But I had a chance to see great show in spite of withdraw Mao Asada, Miki Ando, Aki Sawada and Cathy & Chris Reed.

*Opening & Skater introductions
All the members danced in a group with white DOI jumper costume and according to announce, they came out one by one and showed their best moves.

Some members I was impressed.

Tatsuki Machida---Jazz song like Dixieland Jazz, I don't remember the song's name. He was a 2006 Japan Junior champion and same high school as Daisuke Takahashi. His jump was so high and 3lz is good. I think he is new blood!

Fumie Suguri---"Chicago" from musical
Her expression was great, but some jumps 3Lz was popped. I like her style.

Yukari Nakano---"Aria" by Giorgia Fumanti
Her movements were so elegant and her spins had evolved even further with a little changes in her hand positions with music. Encore: "Claudine" only the half way

Nobunari Oda---"Around the World" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
His costume was a tank top with a chain belt. It looks like Jeffrey Buttle's exhibition number and unlike his previous image, had a wild crew cut hairstyle. He did a 2A, 3Lz-3T and 3T-3T clean. It was so fun. And it was a bright, wild exhibition different from his previous image. Encore: above same song only the half way

Yu-Na Kim---"Just A Girl" by No Doubt
She was extremely cute with pink tank top and pants with brightly. Her jump was so beautiful and had good condition. She seemed that she enjoyed this show. Encore: above same song only the half way

Albena Denkowa & Maxim Stavisuki---"Ravel Tango" which they've done before as SP. It was soooo excited. I couldn't believe they did it again. It was worth to pay high price ticket. And for encore, they also performed full of "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles. I love this program and I was very impressed their power. Finally, they got a standing ovation from audience.

Stéphane Lambiel----"Un Giorno per Noi" by Nino Rota
He performed his new short program. He started the performance by placing one rose on the ice. He was acting "Romeo" and did 3T, 3F-2T、and 2A clean and he danced with the rose like it was his partner. His expression was great and his spins have evolved even further with changes in his hand positions. It was wonderful. Finally, He also received a standing ovation. And for encore, he also performed only half of "Poeta" and he also received a standing ovation from audience.

Xue Sben & Bongbo Zbao---"My Way"
They were great, but I prefer to their program "Carso". They were very elegant and their lift was so excited. Encore was "Carso" only the half way, however, I was very satisfied with it.

Daisuke Takahashi---"Bachelorette" by Björk
Takahashi was the last performer of this show. His new costume was black with silver lines on it. I've never seen before like this song he performed. It was very strange program and I don't know what I say, however, it has a charm where it seems like you'll be pulled into the song. And he did a 3F, 3Lz clean and the steps were very dynamic and exquisite. The choreography was like an ice dancer's with emphasis on the lower half of the body, with choreography he's disliked the way before.
And for encore, he also performed just half from 3F, 3S and straight line step of "Phantom of the Opera" and he received a standing ovation from audience.

That's all. Thanks for your reading!:)

Last edited:
Excellent report, Leode. Thanks for sharing your impressions. That was a blockbuster line-up of great skaters!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
[Xue Sben & Bongbo Zbao---"My Way"
They were great, but I prefer to their program "Carso". They were very elegant and their lift was so excited. Encore was "Carso" only the half way, however, I was very satisfied with it.
So this encore was Shen/Zhao's "Caruso" exhibition from 2007 Worlds?

You attended the 2nd of the 3 shows (July 14-16), right?

Arigato, leode! :)

Last edited:

leode

Rinkside
Thanks for reading my report, everyone.:)

So this encore was Shen/Zhao's "Caruso" exhibition from 2007 Worlds?
You attended the 2nd of the 3 shows (July 14-16), right?
Arigato, leode! :)

Yes, this encore was Shen/Zhao's "Caruso" exhibition from 2007 Worlds. It was so moved me.
I was lucky to see this show twice on July 14th and this report of 15th, 2007. Following was shedule of this.

07/14/2007 16:30 - Yokohama, Japan
07/15/2007 12:00, 16:30 - Yokohama, Japan
07/16/2007 12:00 - Yokohama, Japan

Unfortunately, the only show of July, 14th had no encore with all skaters and I don't know why, maybe typhoon was still coming to Yokohama.
But this DOI will be on the air at Japanese T.V. on July 17, 2007.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Awesome report - thanks so much. I already miss Shen/Zhao - but oh my, can't wait to see Lambiel's short program ... and then Oda and Takahashi and so on and so on!!!

Tak

Spectator
Attended July 15th Evening Show, in spite of Typhoon almost all seats were filled and some Standing Audience were there. All TV Cameras were manned, and one Camera person told me that TV Broadcast would be mainly from this performance.
Some additional comments:

Akiko Suzuki (Titanic)
Very good jumps (including 3Lz) and spins

Fumie Suguri (Cell Block Tango!)
Gave a sizzling performance. Cannot believe how good she now is in performing!

Yasuhiro Nanri(Japanese Pro Wrestler Inoki Theme)
Nailed spectacular 3Ax.

Lambiel:
Nailed Quad toe loop!! Never expected to see one this early in the season and in a Show performance!

All the Guest Skaters received Standing O. Takahashi as well.
Great Show!

Thanks, Tak, for the additional details.

Cell Block Tango? :laugh: Did Fumie's version have lyrics?

"You know how people
have these little habits
That get you down. Like Bernie.
Bernie liked to chew gum.
No, not chew. POP. So I came home this one day,
And I am really irritated, and i'm
looking for a little bit of sympathy
and there's Bernie layin'
on the couch, drinkin' a beer
and chewin'. No, not chewin'.
Poppin'. So, I said to him,
I said, "You pop that
gun one more time..."
and he did.
So I took the shotgun off the wall
and I fired two warning shots...
...into his head." :laugh:

Thanks for joining us, Natalia. Welcome!

z4mboni

Rinkside
Cell Block Tango? :laugh: Did Fumie's version have lyrics?

If it is the same version that Fumie used at Prince Ice World, yes it has! In the clip thatw as shown on TV Fumie was dancing to "He had it coming, he had it coming!" with a very fierce expression! :laugh:

I hope they'll show all the skaters and finale on TV. I've read some reports in Japanese (or at least as much as I could understand :laugh: ) and the show sounded great!
(I want to see Oda's new spins and split in the encore, and Nanri's 3A. And cute Nana's performance. :love:)

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Me too, Mathman! :yes:
I hope some of our kind Japanese posters will put some clips up on youtube and fsvids when the show airs. :bow:

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic." ;)

z4mboni

Rinkside
Oda's program, so fun. Is this going to be his new short program or just an exhibition program?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v2kK_p2hw5g

EX, he can't use vocals for SP. His new SP is not ready yet, he's going to Canada in August to work with Wilson.
I wish he would switch to Miyamoto for this season. I love his new program! He's like a totally different skater. :love: Usually he needed to hit all his elements to really shine, but this time even though he was breaking in new boots; his jumps were shaky and he appeared to be a little short on stamina after the step sequence, this program was brilliant.
Too bad they didn't air the performance from the day he nailed all jumps. Can't wait to see this program again. :)

And here goes Fumie Suguri:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVp2I1aRRI
:love: I love it!
This program makes me remember when Takeshi Honda was commentating during one of Fumie's performances. "When she is concentrating on skating, she is very sca... very intense!" :rofl: