Ando pulls out of ice show with knee injury | Golden Skate

Ando pulls out of ice show with knee injury

flying camel

Medalist
Maybe they are putting to much emphasis on the jumps. I hope Kimmie takes it easy. Jumps are great, but that is not all skating is about. This season may prove to be "who can make it to worlds"?

z4mboni

Rinkside
I doubt it was because of the jumps in Miki's case. She wasn't even practicing them that much, she's been busy with shows lately. The most worrying thing is that her shoulder injury is acting up again. Even since 2002 she has had problems with her shoulder/back, and it's not the jumps that hurt her the most, but the spins, and there's no escape from practicing them. I hope she'll recover quickly. :(

As for Mao, I wouldn't worry too much. She's been spotted training in Obersdorf, looked fine, and was executing 3F-3L, 2A-3T and 3F-3T.
Prior to her 'injury' she was concentrating on improving her spins (she said she feels they are her weakness, because practicing them made her feel sick, especially if she ate something before :laugh:) and building up muscle strenght, so I doubt she is putting too much emphasis on jumps, either.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I think that there is a reason why the triple jumps have not been done by the ladies on a consistent basis in the past, and its called injury. Mastering most triple jumps does not seem to be a problem with the exception of the 3 axle but landing them consistently in competition without injury will be difficult. In the long run I think it will shorten a skater's competitive career. I think that the triple jumps are here to stay because of the scoring system. My question is will we see the current crop of skaters in 3-5 years. I don't think so. The era of a long competitive career is over. JMO

I do not know what caused Miki's problems but I hope that she recovers soon.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They should be better by season's beginning. This should also be a message to the other skaters out there to take it easy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i hope the girls recover soon. Somtimes the skaters make injury a excuse for everything...maybe they just want some extra time to train.... who knows. we can only hope that it is nothing serious.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I know it would never work as someone would go ahead and jump to win but if they could all just say no more triple/quad jumps maybe they could change things. It's just a wish.

euterpe

Medalist
Miki's shoulder is rapidly becoming a big problem for her. Once a shoulder gets dislocated, it gets easier for it to happen again. Ultimately the ligaments get so stretched out that the shoulder can pop out of place with even the simplest movement. And spins put tremendous pressure on the shoulder joint.

Angela Nikodinov had the same problem, and it kept her away from the ice for a year until she had to have surgery to correct it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Angela Nikodinov had the same problem, and it kept her away from the ice for a year until she had to have surgery to correct it.
I know Dad is not a skater, but he had similar surgery. Let it go for ever and it became so bad he could not lift his arm above his shoulder in addition to the dislocations. The surgery was incredibly freeing for him. He is 72 and does concrete flatwork. Very known around these parts and the shoulder added more years to his ability to continue doing that in which he wishes. Surgery can be awesome for some, look at Rudy!

I am with you Grganny on the necessity of these triples and such, but I wonder if it is more of the skaters wanting to do them. ???? I have no pay-off for doing a quality waltz jump except personal pride. And what else matters when you want to feel good about your personal accomplishments - anyhoo, I think I understand their drive to do them regardless of necessity.

rutinia

Match Penalty
Browsing through Japanese forums on skating, almost noone believes Ando's injury. I think it's a responsibility of the DOI organizer. They even don't pay for the ticket from the US and the stipend for one performance seems to be only a few hundred dollars. Ando has the record of skipping many shows because of injury.

edit

According to a Japanese news source, Ando's "knee injury" has surfaces after the show at NJ and been diagnosed to take two weeks for full recovery. This means that she can't participate DOI and Japanese team traning camp in Itaty BUT it's OK for the ice show organized by IMG of late July. What a nice timing!

Last edited:

netnuts

Match Penalty
. I think it's a responsibility of the DOI organizer. They even don't pay for the ticket from the US and the stipend for one performance seems to be only a few hundred dollars.

You must be kidding. I dont believe one bit. There's no way those very top international stars will participate in a show which pays them only a few hundred dollars.
:bow:

I think it's just some anti-Ando rumors spread by her detractors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You must be kidding. I dont believe one bit. There's no way those very top international stars will participate in a show which pays them only a few hundred dollars.
:bow:

Well, the "very top international stars" (Mao Asada and Miki Ando) didn't participate, did they?

Asada and Ando withdrew, but Lambiel, Kim, Takahashi, Oda, Shen and Zhao and Suguri were there.

I wouldn't think that Stephane Lambiel would pay for his own ticket plane ticket from Switzerland to skate for a few hundred dollars.

rutinia

Match Penalty
I wouldn't think that Stephane Lambiel would pay for his own ticket plane ticket from Switzerland to skate for a few hundred dollars.

Of course, Lambiel is the guest.

During Shirota era, DOI is considered as a semi-official event of JSF for the pupose of raising money, and Japanese skaters are expected to appear on virtually voluntary basis. That is not the case anymore. There is a rumor that struggles are going on between IMG and CIC(a crony company of JSF oldguards) over the control of Japanse ice show markets. Asada sisters and Ando belong to IMG and they could be parts of this.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what to hope here. Do I hope Miki is alright and not really injured, or do I hope she is being honest, and actually is injured?

Something is very wrong here. :sheesh:

Of course, Lambiel is the guest.

During Shirota era, DOI is considered as a semi-official event of JSF for the pupose of raising money, and Japanese skaters are expected to appear on virtually voluntary basis. That is not the case anymore. There is a rumor that struggles are going on between IMG and CIC(a crony company of JSF oldguards) over the control of Japanse ice show markets. Asada sisters and Ando belong to IMG and they could be parts of this.
Thanks for that insight. I don't know why I am so fascinated at the politics and money angles of this sport, but I am. ;)

I'm not sure what to hope here. Do I hope Miki is alright and not really injured, or do I hope she is being honest, and actually is injured?
I am hoping for middle ground. All athletes are in some state of injury all the time. Miki for sure has a cronic shoulder problem, at the very least :cry:

If, on the other hand, that's just an excuse for her to thumb her nose at the powers that be -- hey, up the establisment! :rock:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If, on the other hand, that's just an excuse for her to thumb her nose at the powers that be -- hey, up the establisment! :rock:

I'm not sure that's a good thing. The Japanese federation and skaters should have each other's best interests in mind. If they are trying to shaft each other, that is a major problem.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I think Miki's sociability was and still is on the timid side; she's not the type that defies political power.

She was hyped, exploited, and then so severely bashed by the media (and the public) in the '05/06 season, that she now seems to be very prudent, human relation wise, (she even doesn't want to appear on TV commercials now, Mao took over,) but consequence is turning out now to be more blames, contrary to her intention to be cautious,

She may be far from being tactical such as viewing overall situations or going out to make political balances.

It has seemed to many fans in Japan that it wasn't "Miki herself vs JSF", but "Morosov vs JSF". He's said to have been complaining to the JSF about the way the federation squeezes in schedules that aren't well thought and against the conveniences of skaters and coaches.

But the recent withdrawal of the champion, most probably controlled by the coach, from the events in Japan and Italy which the JSF deems important, seemed to have much irritated the federation.

Fans I know are now very worried of this situation.

It might be that you can blame this on any of the four; the skater, the coach, the management company (IMG), and the JSF. You might as well blame them all for the things going wrong for about a week here.

PS: It was a bit laughable that the TV coverage of the DOI in question showed the Asadas practicing in Oberstorf but didn't show the triple-triple combinations the FSU poster witnessed. ...I very much like Mao and Mai, but don't like the way they are thus given treatment, and don't get why they don't mind that.

Last edited: