Who's Going

Jhar55

Medalist
Who's going and where are you staying.
I am going and staying at the Abraham Lincoln
Hard to beleive it's only about 3 months away :clap:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I will be going for the whole event. I know that the practice's start on Thursday. Does anyone know the shchedule for that day? My tickets say 9 am. I know there are no competions that day. The website does not post anything for the practice on this day. The other practices start at like 7 am and wow that's early.

I am not sure where I am staying yet. I might drive home on Thursday night since I am only about 1 1/2 hours away in New Jersey. I am actually staying at the Comfort Inn about two miles away since I have three free nights there (well...let me change that...my mother does!!!). She is also coming with me to the events. The Abraham Lincoln kept telling me it was sold out when I tried to make reservations on line for that weekend!!

Maybe we can meet up one day there. Although at a 7 am practice only the diehards are there so it won't be hard to tell who we are.

I do plan on brining my camera and I will take pictures that I can post for people to see (once i figure out how to do it!!)

And yes I can't believe that it is only 3 months away!!

euterpe

Medalist
I will be there, but only for the competition, and not the exhibition. I am staying at the Sheraton.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure where we're staying (my husband's taking care of the reservations for that), but we're going to attend on Saturday & Sunday. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As we get closer to the event, maybe the GS posters can meet somewhere in the concourse (or post the location of your seats)? It would be nice to meet up with the GS members there.

Jhar55

Medalist
I am coming in on Friday AM, I fly into Philly and have to take some kind of shuttle to Reading. Staying at the Abraham Lincoln, suppose to be the official hotel. It's only 2 blocks from the arena so should be able to walk. Does anyone know how safe the area is for walking back at night? That's the only part not real crazy about.

Kikigirl

Rinkside
I'm arriving on Friday, attending the events on Friday night and all-day Saturday. Sadly, I won't be there on Sunday...have to go back and get ready for classes on Monday morning.

I'm so excited! This will be my first live competition. :)

Linny

Final Flight
Safe at night

The area where the Ab Lincoln Hotel and the event venue are located is quite decent and you should be just fine walking back to the hotel at the end of the evening.
Lin

PS If anyone wants to do some sight seeing in the area, please feel free to send me a personal and I'll help you find what interests you. I live very close.

JPierce

Match Penalty
New member here, I'll be going (solo) so if anyone is hanging out or meeting up, I'm sure I'll be bored enough to tag along! I live in Pittsburgh, never been to Reading so if any locals have any info about restaurants / sights, feel free to chime in!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First of all, welcome to Golden Skate, JPierce!

Reading is known for outlet shopping, so if you like to shop and save money, you may want to check out the various outlets some time during your stay (not during the skating, of course). :)

BTW, SA attendees, please check out the "Roll Call" thread and post your seat location information there (if you'd like)!

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Outlets and other areas of interest

If you have a car, head west on Penn St (the main street in town), over the Penn St bridge (passes over the Schuylkill River and the 422 bypass) into West Reading. Follow the myriad signs to the VF Outlet center. Lee Jeans - many, many pairs. I haven't been there in years, but I believe Reading China and Glass is also there.

If you don't have a car, go to 8th and Cherry - not far from the venue - and check out the BARTA transportation center. Or see http://www.bartabus.com/.
Route 6 takes you to the VF Outlet center.

Cherry is one block East of Penn Street. The arena is in the 700 block so 8th Street is one block North.

Heading in a slightly different direction, the Fairgrounds Square Market (Route 2 on the bus schedule) is supposed to have a good JC Penny outlet center. I've never been but my co-workers have and they say it's great.

Linny

PS If you rented a car and are driving from the Philadelphia Airport out to Reading, Valley Forge National Park is about halfway between.

aarower

Rinkside
I've been reading this forum for a few months and getting excited about the skating season so I decided today that I'm going to Skate America!!!

I haven't been to Skate America since 1990 when it was in Buffalo. It was my first time attending a big skating event. My Mom let me skip school and we drove to Buffalo and saw Kristy Yamaguchi and Midori Ito! and Victor Petrenko, Christopher Bowman, Todd Eldredge and a really bad performance from Elvis Stojko.

I've never been to Reading but I read that the arena sits 7,000 so I assume that all the seats are pretty good?? I also assume that I can get tickets at the door as I've never heard of a Skate America being sold out... Any suggestions where to stay?

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am staying at the Comfort Inn in Reading. It's about 2 miles or so way from the arena. I am going to be there all 4 days, including Thursday. I am not sure if the hotel has a computer as I don't have a lap top to bring, but if they do I won't mind going on here at night and writing up something about the event. Granted I won't tell about the results but I would be willing to write up stuff about the practice session. Now, I can't tell the difference between a toe loop and a lutz but if you guys want to hear about other stuff just let me know!!