Latest Evan Lysacek Journal | Golden Skate

Latest Evan Lysacek Journal

He's enjoying life and that's what keeps up the spirit. While I am not overwhelmed with Warhorse music, and neither are the judges, unless they present a new twist on things. I must say his Carmen worked the first season but it looked tired after Nationals the second.

Wishing him all the best to bring a new concept of Caravadossi. (He does get shot in the last scene with Puccini's swelling music.)

There's just no way to predict the Men's event this season. It makes the Ladies so insignificant, imo. It's 9 skaters to maybe 4 for the Ladies.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am not the biggest fan of men skating to Tosca... nor Carmen for that matter but Evan pulled it off. I guess he means "the mask of zorro"? i assume that will be his SP. Sounds like a good choice. He could pull of the zorro look well i think. At least it's original.

Skating in the X-Games (?!)
:rock: You wouldn't have to change the sport at all. To make figure skating cool, all you would have to do is start calling a triple jump a 1080. And maybe allow Michael Weiss' "tornado".

I am not the biggest fan of men skating to Tosca... nor Carmen for that matter but Evan pulled it off. I guess he means "the mask of zorro"? i assume that will be his SP. Sounds like a good choice. He could pull of the zorro look well i think. At least it's original.
If you knew the operas, men figure quite prominently in them. I think the titles of those operas confuse you. Maybe you would not want to see a lady skating to Gianni Schichi or mozart's Don Giovanni.

Joe

nubka

Final Flight
Hmmm...

How many guesses that his "Zorro" will be wearing - BLACK !!!!!

Ugh...

What's next for him, Batman??

capcomop

Rinkside
I am not the biggest fan of men skating to Tosca... nor Carmen for that matter but Evan pulled it off.

Nessun dorma is a guy's aria!

A good chunk of Jeffry Buttle's Samson and Delilah program was an female aria in English My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice.

Just because the opera's named after a woman still doesn't mean she has the best part :p

mskater93

Record Breaker
And a beautiful piece to hear when sung well is Nessun Dorma. I saw Turandot as my first opera this past winter and I just LOVED the tenor (prince) singing Nessun Dorma. Made me a little teary.

If Evan brings an interesting perspective to Tosca, then I'm OK with it. I thought Carmen was a poor choice until I saw the program.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am not excited about his music choices, but at least he will have two new programs this season. "A stretch outside his comfort zone"? Does Evan have this problem too?! Poor Evan! He probably really wants to compete in pop music or no music at all.

Last edited:
My big questions about using music which originally was written to follow a story line are:

1. Does the skater have to follow that story line?

2. Is a skater capable of feeling music without a story line?

3. Do skaters know the difference between The Character of the Music and The Character of the story for CoP purposes?

Joe

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My big questions about using music which originally was written to follow a story line are:

1. Does the skater have to follow that story line?

2. Is a skater capable of feeling music without a story line?

3. Do skaters know the difference between The Character of the Music and The Character of the story for CoP purposes?

Joe

Here's the thing. Not all skating fans are opera fans. The people in the arena and the people on their couches at home probably didn't see the opera, so don't know what the story line is. They see the skating and hear the music. If the two line up, they don't care when Hagen is supposed to kill Siegfried.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. Not all skating fans are opera fans. The people in the arena and the people on their couches at home probably didn't see the opera, so don't know what the story line is. They see the skating and hear the music. If the two line up, that don't care when Hagen is supposed to kill Siegfried.
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, Wagnerian music is too tough for skaters to digest.

Unfortunately, many skaters do follow the story line and stabbing oneself is 'what was that all about?' from the non more serious music people.

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
I am not the biggest fan of men skating to Tosca... nor Carmen for that matter

Both Slutskaya's and Kwan's Tosca programs featured music that is more about the man (Cavaradossi) than Tosca (both made heavy use of the execution music for instance). The figure of Tosca herself isn't exactly in keeping with the public image that most ladies competitors would want to be associated with (a maniacally jealous diva who kills a petty tyrant in a flash of rage and then commits suicide when she realizes she's been duped into helping kill the man she loves).

And actually the protagonist of Carmen isn't Carmen at all, but Don Jose.

The opera is about his degredation from promising young soldier (possibly officer material) to love-struck dupe, petty criminal and finally psychopathic killer.

Carmen doesn't change over the course of the opera (her attitude toward Don Jose changes somewhat but she announces at the beginning that she's true only to her own changing passions but she's the same character throughout, a shallow, superstitious pleasure seeker).

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I would have also liked to see Evan skate to slightly-less-overused music next season, but I wouldn't really put "Zorro" in the overused category yet since I can only think of a couple of other skaters who have used it.

Plus, Lori Nichol's usually really good at choosing more obscure cuts from normally-overused music, ie. the "Carmen" programs she created for Michelle Kwan and Fumie Suguri. So I hope she can do the same for Evan's programs, especially his LP!