Liberty 2007 news & results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Liberty 2007 news & results

mskater93

Record Breaker
netnuts, you must have missed his Pirates program last year! The choreo totally rocked and I became an instant fan even though he got that 4th spot coming out of Mids (instead of Rohene)

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, this Patrick Chan is amazing! I've never seen him skate before. I love his program, by turns lyrical and dramatic, with a modern twist. I really enjoyed all his footwork sequences and transition steps. That first circular footwork with the onset of the dramatic music was really cool. But really, I liked all the footwork seq's and transitions, and in general his style and musicality. :bow:

For a 16-year-old, he has amazing polish and presentation. Almost every position he struck was lovely. Kinda a male version of Caroline Z, but with better footwork seq's and energy (but not as good of extension or spins; and similarly slightly flawed jumping techniques). That 3axel was a good attempt. Hopefully he'll feel more confident about it now that he's landed it in competition, and hopefully next time he'll come back with an even stronger 3axel. :clap:

I wonder if Jeremy lost concentration after landing that 4/3 -- maybe he was so thrilled with landing it that he forgot to focus on the rest of the program. :p I don't like his footwork seq's, what with all the arm flailing and overly busy-ness, it didn't look easy or flowing at all. Hope it gets better as the season progresses.

enlight78

Medalist
I really enjoyed jeremy's and Rohene's programs. They have a natural flow and rhythm that carries the music. Hope their jumps are clean in the long. Patrick skated very well. He seems to have no style. He movements are textbook and deliberate. I look forward the see all of them develope in the future.

euterpe

Medalist
I just got back from Liberty, and have to say I was very impressed by Rachael Flatt. She lost the SP to Ashley Wagner because she underrotated the 3/3 and also was short on the rotations on her layback spin. But her SP was lovely to watch because Rachael expresses every note of the music and she so enjoys what she is doing.

In the FS, Rachael blew Ashley out of the water by over 20 points with a score of 107.19. Rachael had struggled with her FS at Broadmoor because she had a slight injury to her ankle while warming up there, but at Liberty she was in fine fettle and her FS was wonderful.

Thanks to Sylvia, I had the pleasure of meeting Rachael, and she is just the nicest, most down-to-earth young lady. She was celebrating her 15th birthday on Saturday, and that big FS score had to have been a great moment for her.

feraina

Record Breaker
In the FS, Rachael blew Ashley out of the water by over 20 points with a score of 107.19. Rachael had struggled with her FS at Broadmoor because she had a slight injury to her ankle while warming up there, but at Liberty she was in fine fettle and her FS was wonderful.

Great to hear that Rachael came back strong in the FS. I hope someone taped that performance and will put it up on the web. As well as Ashley's.

Were Rachael & Ashley 1st and 2nd? Who were 3rd and 4th? And what happened in the men's competition?!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
SENIOR MEN FS RESULTS
Patrick Chan 130.71
Douglas Razzano 107.94
Jeremy Abbott 101.85
Rohene Ward 100.61
Traighe Rouse 98.25
Tommy Steenberg 93.66
Wesley Campbell 88.27
Casey McCraw 86.29
Shaun Rogers 79.95
Peter Lindstrom 77.78
Robbie Crowley 75.29
Jonathan Cassar 72.38

One report:
BreakfastClub said:
Senior men result and then notes in skate order typing as I watched:

1. Patrick Chan 130.71 (67.69/63.02 and still got that big score and won by a mile with no get credit for last spin because he repeated a CCoSp)
2. Doug Razzano 107.94 (60.54/49.40)
3. Jeremy Abbott 101.85 (50.97/53.88 )
4. Rohene Ward 100.61 (47.09/55.52 - lutz was downgraded and all steps and spins called L1 with one exception)
5. Traighe Rouse 98.25 (46.49/51.76 - hey, he stayed on his feet ;))
6. Tommy Steenberg
7. Wesley Campbell
8. Casey McCraw
9. Shaun Rogers
10. Peter Lindstrom
11. Robbie Crowley
12. Jonathan Cassar

Patrick Chan
Four Seasons same program & costume as last year. 3a low pitch forward but clean! 3f3t nice, 3z nice, circ step gd flow, death drop many var on sit, posing taking a breather, 3z2t2r very nice, 3r no setup - low & s/o, 3s2t neat & clean, 2a good energy here in choreography, 3f nice, str step, stars to butterfly comb spin, good final comb. spin. Really nice, relaxed performance for him, had a great big smile while taking his bows. Made almost everything look nice and easy. No matter how he skates, it’s so easy to appreciate his soft knees and fantastic posture/lines.

Rohene Ward
Dragon Bruce Lee Story in past year’s sparkly black tango FS costume. 4t fall, 3a2t, 1f, death drop to back to front change sit with many variations, circ step - throws in a great SashaSkid™ (Y catchfoot skid spiral) and his trademark up/down split to the ice segues to his layback, soft choreography to famous schmaltzy part of the music to a 2a out of nothing, 3t nice, 3r nice, bracket series into 3z nasty fall into board w/legs crossed, losing steam, audience clapping to str step to give him energy – step is sloppy, 3s, final comb spin slow and put nothing into the scratch spin – the same scratch spin he got an ovation for in the short. I think he just completely pooped out, but he started out just powering over the ice w/tons of speed and flow. Got way too tired about 2/3 of the way through and had no attack… arrrrgh!

Traighe Rouse
Phantom of Opera in white/black flowy shirt. 2a, 3r, 3f2t (good for him!), 3s no idea how he held onto it but did, back lunge press up to back spiral very cool, str step, 2z, comb spin with bobble and hand touch on exit, 2a nice, 2z (can tell he’s frustrated and wants a triple), 3t wild and hung on, neat positions in final spin. Really good performance considering the comeback situation, showed great fight.

Shaun Rogers
Grindhouse soundtrack w/spanish techno piece at end? in black w/sparkly blue accents. 2s, 3a ur? and really hard fall, 4t fall, 3r, bluesy middle part with circ step, 3f f/o hands, 3a fall, 2z, 3s, head rattling fall in str step (ouch). A really sloppy mess, too bad. He shrugged his shoulders with a good attitude while bowing. ;)

Doug Razzano
Tosca in dk blue bodysuit with light blue sash belt. 3a nice … then got so excited he tripped and fell a couple of steps later :lol:, 3t2t, 3z2t good ice coverage, 3f low s/o, highlight CW OSE to 3s, 3r2t, 3z landed w/legs crossed and fall, interesting flying camel comb spin – fast, 3t, trip in final circ step. Steps and program itself not particularly exciting but the jumps he did do were really well done.

Wesley Campbell
Dvorak New World Symphony in pretty light to dk blue faded blouse. 2a out of nowhere s/o, 3a jerky landing but clean (?), tano walleys into 3z (slight flutz), soft elegant circ step to famous English Horn solo section, since spiral highlight, 3a nice, 3f 1/2r 3s seq (sal was ur & fall - arrrgh!), 3z fall, nice 1 ft entry to back comb spin, 3f good, neat 1ft barrel roll variations in str step, 2a, nice twisty positions in final spin. Overall lacked a bit of energy, but still easy to appreciate his clean lines and precise edging.

Casey McCraw
Patriotic sounding music w/fiddle to Gettysburg in blue military uniform with gold sparkles and white gloves. 4TOE ;) fall, 3a f/o hands, change sit, comb spin, 3r, 1f, 2s2t, death drop, 3f fall, 3t, no conviction left for steps, kinds looks like he’d rather be somewhere else at this point. Managed 3s at end. Overall very lackluster, too bad.

Jeremy Abbott
Shostakovich Jazz Suite #1 Waltz, River Waltz, Masquerade Waltz. Tissue shirt if various shades of gray, white & black. 4t fall (not sure on rotation), 1a-3t stumbled around, 3f, 2a, 1a, nice big choreography (reminds me of Ryan Jahnke in attention to detail, movement and “bigness”) 3z2t2r, tough knee slide highlight to 3r fall, 3s, busy dramatic str step. Good spins, nice lines & turnout. Appreciate that he kept up all the numerous choreographic details despite the numerous jump mistakes – it’s a great program with lots of subtle details that will just get better and better... classic Tom Dickson!

Robbie Crowley
Bond Kismet & Winter in aqua/blue bodysuit. 3z 2ft, 3r, 3f ur? fall, 1r, 2t2t, 3s, 2a2t. Not much height or flow on jumps but is patient and makes them work. Good spinner, sweet fast scratch at end. I like the fact that he stays within his own ability and doesn’t try to make his programs overly fussy despite the CoP demands.

Jonathan Cassar
Dissonant section of Cinema Paradiso. Chocolate pants, caramel sweater. 3z bad pitch forward fall, 3t, circ step, 3r tight, 2a hand, 1s, ina bauer to 2f, 1a, fly sit, 2f. Awesome spins. Nicely choreographed work by David Wilson that does a great job of highlighting his smooth, quiet basics and really clean lines – and his incredible inside spread eagle!

Tommy Steenberg
Bolero in deep bluish purple with gold accents. Swoopy circ step with lots of one foot work to open - really nice, 2z3t, 3a ur fall, 3f double threes, 3r good, 2s, picked up the pace as the music built – nice, 3z2t eked out, 1f, 1a, cool variations upright spin. We all agreed that we enjoyed the program – very unexpected for the music choice but the choreography is interesting and Tommy does a good job trying to build and skate up to it.

Peter Lindstrom
Unidentified soundtrack in black w/sequins. He looks like Tomas Verner… I wish he skated like him too! :p 3t3t, 1a, 3z ur 2ft, 2a tight, nice ina bauer to 2r, 3s2t2r, 3z ur tight, 3t crossed legs ur and fall.

2nd report:
Lara said:
Patrick Chan - it was seriously a privilege to see that performance. I could watch him simply stroke for ages, and having most of the jumps (including the 3A, which was definitely encouraging) *and* a great choreographed program was just the icing on the cake. I've always appreciated him but for better or worse, I think I'm now officially invested. Fingers crossed for a good season...

Rohene started off with so much speed and power yet flow in his stroking - it made me think of past descriptions of Carolina Kostner. Unfortunately like her he couldn't maintain control for the jumps and lost steam at the end as BreakfastClub posted. It wasn't a disaster by his standards though and as always there was still a lot to like.

It was cool to see Traighe Rouse making his senior debut seven years after the 2000 Montreal NACS, and he certainly held his own - which in a field including Chan, Ward and Abbott says good things about his presentation skills.

I'm so glad I finally saw Jeremy Abbott live after this year's fandom. The jumps weren't there today (yesterday's 4T/3T in the short was exciting though!) but he's someone else who I'd have pleasure watching just stroking. His new LP should do very well with more time, mileage and confidence with the jumps...here's hoping, because he's got more than enough skills to make next year's World team.

Shaun Rogers unfortunately had a disaster skate - tough to watch. Just one of those days, he's never been very consistent but it was bad by his standards. Hopefully he'll put it aside and his next competition will go much better.

Tommy Steenberg, Wesley Campbell and Jonathan Cassar were all notable for their good programs and choreography, and the later two had especially nice basic skating. Cassar's spread eagle did live up to the hype and I wish was longer!

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
SENIOR LADIES FS GROUP A RESULTS
1. 81.82 Katrina Hacker
2. 81.47 Juliana Cannarozzo
3. 78.70 Megan Williams-Stewart
4. 76.02 Taylor Firth
5. 74.83 Kylie Gleason
6. 65.33 Becky Bereswill
7. 63.24 Michelle Boulos
8. 47.02 Lisa Yee
9. 46.51 Kimmi Jeffers
10. 46.12 Jessica Crenshaw
11. 44.22 Elizabeth Stern
12. 41.35 Jessica Morgan
13. 39.20 Brielle O'Connor

SENIOR LADIES FS GROUP B
1. 107.19 Rachael Flatt
2. 86.59 Ashley Wagner
3. 72.40 Jane Bugaeva
4. 66.70 Molly Oberstar
5. 65.39 Crystal Kiang
6. 64.78 Blake Rosenthal
7. 63.88 Joelle Forte
8. 59.31 Abigail Legg
9. 57.66 Ambar Kaiser
10. 54.78 Kristin Zinsmeister
11. 53.45 Danielle Lazenby
12. 39.91 Alexandra LaHurd
13. 39.25 Jaclyn Yacomes

Lara said:
Senior Ladies FS - Group B only:

I got to the rink just in time for Rachael Flatt's skate to be stopped due to some music problem (something which would be repeated throughout the day). Despite the interruption she kept focus and delivered a nice solid and musical performance similarly to her SP.

Ashley Wagner's LP wasn't on the same level as yesterday, the presentation wasn't quite there yet and by her standards she was off technically. She still projected the confidence and command of a consistent skater though and deserved second. Blake Rosenthal had a rough "off" day and performance unfortunately - nothing like her short. Jane Bugaeva was hit and miss, but was good to watch as always (though I did prefer her voidy SP music). I would have liked to see more presentation/choreo from Joelle Forte's LP, I thought she was much better yesterday.

More Senior Ladies FS reports/notes/impressions to come, time and energy permitting.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
SENIOR PAIRS SP RESULTS (Thursday)
59.36 Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker
49.59 Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig
44.70 Alexandra Hill/Jeremy Barrett
39.66 Shantel Jordan/Steven Elefante
36.49 Vanessa James/Hamish Gaman (GBR)

BreakfastClub said:
Senior Pairs SP report

Ugh, the footwork this year is just crawling, more like OD footwork, everyone is doing mirror work, stopping in the middle and posing then doing doing some retrograde motion. UGH! McLaughlin/Brubaker, flowing over the ice come to a crawl in the steps. CoP has made this painful.

Hill/Barrett
Generic soundtrack in black. Clean 2tw, th3s good, SBS 2a, back to front SBS spin - c/s/up//s/up off synch, basic axel lasso, pair spin ok, sloppy step, BIDS. Overall a tentative skate, no attack but clean.

Evora/Ladwig
Jive/Stray Cat Strut. So much energy, transitions and choreography it felt like an OD. High energy adagio swingy lift to open, tough 2tw entry and then a hard fall – she appeared to hurt her back and they stopped for a couple minutes then she recomposed and they restarted… axel lasso to 1 hand to impressive no hand position, th3z(yes, throw lutz), SBS 3s in synch (her ur?), fun choreo to BIDS, long posing stop in SBS step :rolleyes:, SBS fly sit nice but on/off synch. Creative high energy program but as usual, it's a program that's probably too challenging for them to really skate clean and polished.

Jordan/Elefante
Liebestraum. 2tw, th3f fall ur?, SBS 1r/3r, SBS spin c/s/up//s/up ok, he needs to get lower in the BIDS pivot, pull through to toe lasso 1H basic 1H set down ok, mirror for half of step seq slow, messy final pair spin.

McLaughlin/Brubaker
Moonlight Sonata in purple/lilac. Flew across the ice the entire time. Nice BIDS, enormous 3tw so easy like a double, SBS 3s, axel lasso 1H on both hands 1H set down (was a bit of a stuggle in this, like he had a misstep and it stay up and got righted through pure strength), th3s 2ft s/o, great uni & speed on SBS spin, but they too slowed down in stop stopped and posed in middle not at all in character with the rest of the program :rolleyes: … otherwise maintained great speed throughout, outclassed all who came before, of course.

Vanessa James/Hamish Gaman (GBR)
Good for her for finding a partner, though he doesn't seem to be terribly good... hopefully there's room to work with him. Voidy black w/aqua swirls Cirque inspired bodysuits and Cirque-like music. SBS 3t (he doubled, doesn't appear to have a triple), big 2tw, 1H lasso basic w/1H set down, th3f fall, then he tripped and fell for no apparent reason and ended up way behind entering the SBS spin and might as well have gone back to Britain he was so far apart from her, SBS step with lots of mirror work, neat entry to BIDS, pair spin. Overall sloppy but this is all new, and she seems really well suited to pairs. It's a matter of bringing him up a few notches.

SENIOR PAIRS FS RESULTS (Friday)
97.13 McLaughlin/Brubaker (TES 52.83/PCS 44.30)
94.87 Evora/Ladwig (TES 53.17/PCS 41.70)

BreakfastClub said:
Evora/Ladwig
Daphnis & Chloe/Reverie. Lavender outfits. Nice entry to 3tw (whew after last night's disaster), th3z hands down, 3s/2s (too bad he doubled it was one of her best attempts), great SBS spins garnered applause, scary but well down backward lasso (? it was a bizzare entry) to tricky no handed carry, pair spiral, th 3r both hands down(?), SBS 2r/2r (he did 2r1r), back press to toss flip over (!) to platter, unusual hand holds in pair spin, basic 1H axel lasso. They are never boring!

McLaughlin/Brubaker
Prokofiev R&J, not cut well and gets repetitive. Fuscha & magenta, big high clean catch 3tw, th3s s/o, hip !H star to carry, SBS 2a, pair spin with nice speed, spiarl wobble issues, th3r 2ft s/o, toe lasso basic 1H overhead switch hands 1H set down, 2z1t really a mess, off synch SBS spin, sort losing steam here... SBS steps, axel lasso to basic 1H with backwards 1H set down, BIDS. Great speed.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for all of the reports and links!!! So nice of you, Sylvia, to post these reports!!!

Gosh, there is just so much talent out there - it is hard to believe!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
JUNIOR MEN SP Results & My Jump Notes (Wednesday)
Six skaters landed 3-3 combos (and 2 more rotated 3-3s). Jumps aside, there were some really enjoyable programs with high quality skating in this event. I personally enjoyed the overall performances of Rippon, Dyer and Oi (if forced to name just 3 ;)).
54.67 Brandon Mroz 3z-3t, 3lp, 2a
54.55 Adam Rippon 3f-3t, 2a, 3lp
51.32 Scott Dyer 2a, 3f-2t, 3lp
49.76 Armin Mahbanoozadeh 3z-3t, 3lp, 2a
49.74 Alexander Johnson 3f-3t, 2lp, 2a
49.11 Max Aaron 3z-2t, 3lp, 2a
47.80 Curran Oi 2a, 3z pitched forward/no combo, 3lp
47.71 Keegan Messing 3z-3t, 2lp, 2a
45.94 Austin Kanallakan 3z-2t, 3lp turnout, 2a
44.95 Ross Miner 3z-2t, 3lp, 2a fell out
43.31 Roger Corvasce 3z-turns-3t, 3lp, 2a flip out
39.30 Theron James 3t-3t, 2lp, 2a fell out
39.03 William Brewster 3lp, 3z fall, 2a
38.97 Andrew Gonzales 1lp, 3t-2t, 2a
38.82 Stephen Kuo 3s-2t, 2lp, 2a
38.08 Daniel Raad 3z(fell out)-2t(messy), 2lp, 2a
37.80 Christopher Berneck 3t-3t(2fted), 3lp fall, 2a
35.92 Nathan Chastain 3s-2t, 2lp, 2a
35.42 Michael Quadrino 2a, 3s fall, 3lp tight
34.72 Schuyler Eldridge 3z-3t (both underrot.), 3lp wrong foot landing, 2a
33.70 Nathan Bartholomay 3z fall, 2a, 2lp
33.55 Paul Parkinson 3f fall, 3lp fall, 2a
33.15 Johansan Jones 3lp fall, 3t-2t, 2a fell out
32.82 Jon Felder 3t-3t(slight 2ft?), 2lp, waltz jump

BreakfastClub said:
I went to the junior men SP tonight, didn't stay for results, here are notes in skate order. I'd guess Brandon Mroz has this one, but it was Adam Rippon's until he went splat in the ftw. With CoP, I'm not otherwise going to try to predict, but I'd guess the top 4 were Mroz, Rippon, Kanallakan & Mahbanoozadeh.

Just a general note... you know it's a tough year when the required flying spin is the flying sit, and the change foot spin is the camel. A solid change foot camel with steady speed, clean positions and 6 even revs on each foot is a move that has always separated the boys from the men. As if junior men trying change camels wasn't painful enough pre-CoP we now have to sit through painful attempts at back to front changes and any guy with a modicum of flexibility trying to grab his blade. I'd estimate half the guys in the field didn't complete enough revolutions on this element, and I've never see so many slow to crawl (and subsequently miss the end of their music) or literally bail on a spin. I also have never seen so many trips, balance checks and falls in the footwork.

Keegan Messing (NWP region) [missed seeing this skate]
3z3t, 2r, 2a, had a problem with bootstrap in the middle of the program.

Theron James (NE)
Bit of a Rohene lookalike physically and in style though not as fluid or flexible (or accomplished) of course. nice 3t3t, 2r, 2a fall out. Has some nice presentation qualities.

Max Aaron (SWP)
3z2t, 3r, 2a (hand down, I think my note says) music sounded like the theme to an 80s TV drama, but someone said it's from a movie about a marching band.

Austin Kanallakan (SW)
3z2t, 3r, nice 2a. Beethoven's last Night, actually had nice camel spins.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh (SA)
3z3t (cheated?) but flowed out great, 3r, squirrly 2a, good footwork. Rach Symphonic Dances.

Scott Dyer (SA)
wild 2a, 3f2t, 3r (just), very very cool spins, best of the competition, original and wicked cool broken leg catchfoot sitspin that is hard to describe. Jesse Cook medley of Prelude and Jesse Takes a Walk.

Stephen Kuo (NA)
3s2t, 2r right into 2a and the loop looked really weird. Music was a Bond piece but I can't place which one, maybe Fuego or Victory.

Ross Miner (NE)
Huge 3z-2t, 3r, fall on 2a. Fun Hawaii Five-O from last year in surfer bodysuit.

Daniel Raad (NA)
3z big fall out went for 2t anyway and it was a mess too (no fall though), 2r, 2a

Curran Oi (NE)
2a, 3z jerky forward landing with chin down to ice no combo, 3r. He has really nice basics

Johansan Jones (SA)
Gigantic 3r fall, 3t2t, skipped part of str ftw, began to give up, 2a step out, looked like he wanted to quit, audience cheered him through.

William Brewster (EGL)
3r, 3z fall, fall in circ step. Sort of a dull skate and program to Brahms Hungarian Dances in flowy purple to lilac top.

Brandon Mroz (SW)
beautiful 3z3t, 3r, interesting serpentine steps with leaps and half jumps, 2a at the very end for drama. Voidy Euro outfit with black ruffles to Night on Bald Mountain.

Andrew Gonzales (SWP)
1r, 3t2t, 2a big, ended program late. Skated to arrangements of Malaguena I've never heard before. Evan called and wants his Espana Cani outfit back.

Christopher Berneck (GER - SC Berlin)
3t3t (second one was 2ft and ur but didn't disrupt flow at all), 3r fall (probably ur, not enough height), odd square shaped footwork (I'm serious, he made a square ) 2a, last spin a complete disaster didn't even change foot until after the music ended and it fell apart in a crawl while trying to hit gumby positions. Voidy lilac/black costume to pretty "girl music" . He's a really tall lanky guy, good basics but not great height on jumps, may end up better suited to pairs.

Paul Parkinson (CAN)
3f fall, 3r out of three turns (but slowed down so much and telegraphed so much you could see from a mile away he wasn't gonna make the jump) 2a. Tons of energy, a real fireplug, I felt exhausted after watching him.

Alexander Johnson (UGL)
3f3t, 2r, 2a, really nice lines, nice program

Nathan Chastain (EGL)
3s2t, major fall in str ftw - both feet went out from under him and fell three feet straight down and square on his butt - he seemed fine, 2r, 2a

Schuyler Eldridge (NE)
3z3t (toe was ur), 3r ur and landed on LBI, 2a

Jon Felder (SW)
3t3t, 2r, big waltz jump. Santana.

Adam Rippon (NA)
WOW. Class of the field, world class basics, knee bend, fluidity, finished off moves timed right to the music, speed, it was all there. WOW. World class quality 3f3t, 2a with room to spare out of gorgeous spread eagle, nice 3r, best change camel of the evening including an impressive change of edge in a catchfoot position that didn't affect speed or center at all... then disaster! A fall in the str footwork! CoP eats another. Some complaints that he's too "Morozov'ed" - maybe if I were at Worlds I'd be rolling my eyes a tad, but his overall technical and performance quality stood out so much here that I wasn't at all bothered with the generic music (Toccata & Fugue), and generic Morozov choreo.

Roger Corvasce (SW)
3z-three turn-3t, 3r, 2a, fall on flying sit. Lots of natural talent and easy power, but looks bored out of his mind when he's skating. Costume covered in prisms with beams of light entered and exiting as rainbows as a metaphor to his music Shine on You Crazy Diamond. (Sorry, took me awhile to figure that out so it seemed worth reporting.)

Michael Quadrino (NA)
2a, 3s fall, 3r ur. Sounded like a generic warrior movie soundtrack.

Nate Bartholomay (SA)
3z fall, 2a, 2r. Odd but voidy electronic music that developed a CD skipping issue halfway through and he had to stop/restart before the 2r.

JUNIOR MEN FS RESULTS (Thursday)
JUNIOR MEN (top 12 advance to FS Final on Saturday)
Rippon 118.49 in FS (64.73 TES/53.76 PCS) 173.04 (total) 2(SP) 1(FS)
Mroz 113.69 (63.81/49.88 ) 168.36 1 2
Oi 105.20 (59.18/46.02) 153.00 7 3
Aaron 102.38 (59.10/43.26) 151.47 6 5
Johnson 100.58 (53.06/48.52) 150.32 5 6
Miner 102.80 (55.42/47.38 ) 147.75 10 4
Dyer 96.10 (48.96/47.14) 147.42 3 7
Mahbanoozadeh 95.18 (53.80/42.38 ) 144.94 4 8
Kanallakan 83.71 (41.43/43.28 ) 129.65 9 10
Raad 84.52 (49.90/35.62) 122.60 16 9
Brewster 80.35 (35.71/45.64) 119.38 13 11
Messing 70.53 (31.89/41.64) 118.24 8 15
---
Corvasce 115.98 11 13
Gonzales 110.46 14 14
Bartholomay 108.64 21 12
Chastain 102.84 18 16
Kuo 101.31 15 19
Quadrino 100.75 19 17
Eldridge 98.84 20 18
Parkinson CAN 94.72 22 20
Felder 91.25 24 21
Jones 67.02 23 22
WD from FS: Berneck GER 17

BreakfastClub said:
Jr men FS started with a bang and ended in a fizzle. [This report was written before the official results were known.] Mroz mostly likely won this with 6 triples and the only 3a of the night, but Rippon is overall the better skater (IMO) and had a better all around program with 7 triples (though Mroz is good, not to take away from him). Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Ross Miner, Curran Oi and Max Aaron also had great skates and will likely round out the top 6, though I'm so tired maybe I forgot someone.

Brandon Mroz
Voidy violin/electronic music that got sorta bombastic towards the end. Black/maroon sparkly suit. 3a nice (& maybe the first time in competition other than the jump event at the recent Broadmoor Open I’m told), 3r, good combo spin, 3f2t2r, 2a, 3z3t (just), slow and complicated but interesting circ step, starts slowing down overall… 3f2t, 2s, 3z. Overall quality is scratchy and distracting to me.

Roger Corvasce
Funky choreo to “Superstitious” then slow blues, then the closest thing to death metal that I’ve ever heard at a skating competition . 3r (in corner very weird), 3z, circ step w/sloppy fallout at end, 3f splat, 3z2t, 2s, 1a, bluesy str step weaved back and forth, 1f, 2t sort of gave up, touched free foot on sloppy final spin.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Egyptian looking rust/gold colored top to Spartacus, 3z3t clean & patient, 3f1r (too bad, heard he said he was gonna go for the 3f3r tonight), 2a 1/2r 3t seq, 3s nice, 2a, 3z good dramatically sets up final str step to the famous part of the music, 3r, 2a hard fall, still good energy in final spin, good program with nice construction and strong ending/choreography. Quiet blades & good basic skating.

William Brewster
Dressed sorta like Luke Skywalker in beige tunic w/darker pants, sounds like a warrior soundtrack with the Dies Irae but we couldn't ID it. 3z low hand, 2f, 2a nice, 3r (ur fall), 2f, 2z, interesting upright comb spin, 3s2t (good fight to land it), 2a.

Adam Rippon
Moonlight Sonata (traditional solo piano) alternates slow/fast movements. Sparkly white blouse and navy pants. Slow parts highlighted his gorgeous spread eagles. Great 3f3t with speed & flow, 3z, 3r, 2a held out landing, nice layover camel to catchfoot w/the seamless edge change, dramatic stop on transition to fast part w/circ step that included a neat skid spiral and ended with a death drop -- both were timed to the music. Sensitive flowly choro transition back to slow mvmt, 3z2t2r (fought for it), big strokes big speed into 3f, 2a 1/2r 3s seq (2a was wonky showed patience to recompose and make the rest of the sequence clean), 2a. One last cut to fast mvt and str step -- this was one-too-many-cuts and over-Morozoved but it got nice applause. Final catchfoot layback got very wobbly/dicey, dramatik ending pose held for serveral seconds. Heard some complaints that this program is too busy, but I say “who cares?” He’s got the world class skill to pull it off – at this level why not show it off? Also it’s nice to see him doing clean programs, fighting for jumps; for now the Morozov positives outweigh the negatives.

Johansan Jones
Music issue at beginning, played his SP music. Dragon Bruce Lee story. 3r crossed feet but stayed up, 3z ur hands, 2f getting frustrated, 1a, 3s fall, looks like he wants to give up, 2t that didn’t pull in and fall, 3s fall, 3t fall. Four falls and numerous other messes. Too bad, he’s better than this.

Scott Dyer
Rach stuff (nearly same cut as MK’s famous SP) in gray pants and silver vest. 2f opened in air, 2a, nice soft knees, nice moves in the field, 3s2t2r neat and clean, nice FO camel to comb spin (with neat variation on the now abused Sandhu butt-in-air position… can’t believe I’m saying that), 2z2a seq, serp steps, 3t 3s, 1f, nice str step (good example of one that’s packed but not too busy), way awesome sit spin combo with original variations to close. Most original spinner I’ve seen in a few years!

Andrew Gonzales
More Rach Piano Concerto No. 2 & Schindler’s List then a really bad cut to Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Dressed in Weir-style black & maroon sparkly bodysuit, big windup for 2r, 3z2t2r, 2f, 1z massive pop, 2a2t, scratchy, 3f hard fall, 2a...

Ross Miner
Gershwin medley in navy pants and vest, light blue blouse & yellow tie, 2a, 3z2t, 3z2t, some cute choreography on music transition, expressive (but he isn’t quite letting out enough personality during his skate to pull it off), 3r, 3z, 3s, serp steps, 3f 2ft, 3t. Spins were good and fast, centered (mostly). Has some posture/rounded shoulders issues.

----------

I skipped the next group to watch Rohene practice. Opened practice working on his footwork in a nice “peace” tie-dye. He knocked off 3r, 3f, 3z, and a huge easy 3a3t in front of other coaches by the boards that got a bit of an ovation from them and others on the ice . Another big easy 3a at the end of the rink. Then a couple of falls on the 4t, back to some work on the 3t, then a great 4t3t which got applause from two people: me and Jeremy Abbott. Finished session with trademark spins.

Because I missed them, the next five are courtesy of haribobo.

Nathan Chastain
3f2t, 3s fall, 2z, 3t, 2a, 3s fall, 2a2t, 2f. Weak spins. Average steps. Decent presentation in a “dangerous sounding” Pearl Harbor-equese sountrack.

Paul Parkinson
Messy skate to Totentanz. 3r fo, 1f, 3z fall, 2a1t1t (?), 2s, 2s fall, 2a, 2a. Zoned out a bit during program, may not be completely accurate. Simple spins, but one nice flying sit.

Curran Oi
Michael W. Smith piece. 3r, 2a2t2t, 3f2t, 3z3t, 3f, 3s, 1z, 2a right at end. All triples rotated were good. Good spins, flow, stroking, good all around. Very solid.

Nate Bartholomay
2a, 3z2t, 3f f/o, 2t, 2a2t, 3z, 2f, 2s, none of spins or step work memorable, average. Program itself was a good one to Mummy soundtrack.

Keegan Messing
So messy hard to take notes.... 3z3t fall, 3a 2ft ur not even close, 3f fall, 2r, 3t, 2a f/o, 1z pop, weird messy 3s f/o to 2f s/o...

---------

I returned for the final two groups:

Max Aaron
Alternating traditional Godfather with Edvin Marton Godfather. 3z2t, 3f, 3r, 3s, 3z great speed, 2a2t (?), good at keeping speed up, 3f2t2r, 3t, final step to Marton part channelling a little Plushenko in choreography and energy.

Michael Quadrino
Lawrence of Arabia in princely gold accented white/dark brown bodysuit. 3t, 3s, circ step good choreo, 3r fall, nice speedy ch edge spiral to 2a, good fast spins, 2f, anotehr interesting str step to music, 2f with arm var on landing, 2a telegraphed, 2s. No middle eastern hands until the final pose.

Daniel Raad
Some orchestral folkish sounding song, sounded familiar but we couldn’t place it; got the audience clapping. 3f3t nice, 2a, 3f f/o 2t, 2r2t2r, 3f hard fall, 2a, 3z, 3s, sloppy final spin.

Stephen Kuo
Generic bombabastic soundtrack none of us could place. 3z ur fall, 3t2t, 2s, nice chg edge spiral, wild 2a, 2r, 1f, 2s messy hand, 2z. Very messy uninspiring skate, I was more distracted trying to figure out the familiar soundtrack.

Alexander Johnson
Rondo Capriccioso & Meditation. Steps w/russian spilt to 3f, 3z3t fall (flutz?), 2a2t, 2r, nice RBO spiral to 3z (flutz), chg edge sprial with excellent leg & back position to 3s, 2a right out of circ step, 2f2t2r. Does a good job highlighting his flexibility and nice lines/turnout.

Schuyler Eldridge
Odd, percussive, repetitive orchestral music (but consensus was we liked it) in black sweater with white shirt underneath. Different opening with clockwise circ step, 3z3t, 2a, 3s2t (sat down), 3f(ur)2t, 3z fall, 3f fall, 3t fall, just got really really messy on the jumps took away from what looked like an interesting program. Interesting final spins.

Austin Kanallakan
Loved the colorful eurovoidy costume married with a folky classical crossover w/violin & heavy beat. 2a, 3r wild, 3f fall, 2z, 3z2r1r, 1f balance check, 3s, 2a f/o hand, really deteriorated and messy, but the music was foot stompin’ fun, spins were fast.

Jon Felder
Elvis medley in all black with some sort of sparkly bird (?) on his back. 2t3t ur fall, 3a delayed(!)/fall, 3z fall slide into boards, 3r, 2f, 2a, 1z, 2s, mostly a mess, I was more interested in trying to figure out what that sparkly thing was on his back.

JUNIOR MEN FS FINAL RESULTS (Saturday)
112.28 Brandon Mroz
102.59 Daniel Raad
97.41 Kessing Messing
95.16 Curran Oi
92.63 Austin Kanallakan
91.37 Ross Miner
91.21 Armin Mahbanoozadeh
87.36 Max Aaron
87.29 Scott Dyer
87.01 Alexander Johnson
77.56 Roger Corvasce (13th in combined qualifying round; got into this FS Final because Rippon withdrew due to a skating boot problem)
70.52 William Brewster

BreakfastClub said:
I watched the novice pair, some of the junior pairs and some of the junior ladies but didn't take notes. Jr ladies in general were pretty uninspiring but there were a few good ones... ladies in general is my least favorite discipline by a large margin so I'm not the most unbiased commentator. But lots of messy programs, and in the past I've seen some really competitive jr. ladies fields here (dating all the way back to Wissahickon days). Not so this year.

I did take notes on the junior men final, mostly just jump notes since the programs and costumes were already described on Thursday night. Adam Rippon didn't skate this final because he's having boot problems (and was thrilled just to make it through the initial SP and FS rounds as well as he did, I'm told.) :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

Austin Kanallakan
I just love this toe tappin cheesy classical crossover music & Eurovoid style. :rofl: (I'm such a Euro wannabe fangirl... ) 3f3t, 2r, really flashy in the circ step tonight, 2z, 3z wonky, 3f, 2t wonky, 3s, 2a tight, totally random voidy arm choreography before the str step giving it loads tonight, dramatic leap in the middle. Fast spins. Really tiffed it tonight, way way better than Thursday, did a little Vakhtang [Murvanidze]-style wave in his bow.

Ross Miner
2a, bombing down rink into 3f3t (flip was HUGE), 3z2t very tight, 3r hand, 3z ur hard fall, 3s, 3f again big, 2a, really gets down in his knee to get height on jumps, hope he can continue to improve his posture.

Keegan Messing
3z2t, 2a, 3f, neat besti squat ch direction skid, 3r ur? fall, 2t, big Russian split, 2a, 3z tight, 3s2t just. Much better skate than the other night, big smile of relief.

Scott Dyer
3f2t (flip 2ft), 2a, 3s1t2r, combo spin with cool Sandhu var (I’m told he calls it the “hairpin spin”) exits with Kodak moment toepick pose, 2z 2a seq, 3r fall, 3t, 3s, 3f ur fall. His basic skating is gorgeous, love his clean lines, posture and soft knees. Wonderful quiet edges, very controlled.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh
3z2t, 3f1r (awww!), 2a 1/2r 3t seq, 3s, 1a, 3z, 3r s/o, 2a s/o. Not as energetic as the other night.

Curran Oi
3r nice, 3a ur fall telegraphed (but good for him for going for it), 3f2t, 1flutz2t, 3f, 3s, 3z, 2a right at end. Not quite as good as Thurs, but not bad.

Max Aaron
3z2t, 3f s/o, 3s, 3r hand, 3z, 2a2t, 3f hard fall, 2t2t

Daniel Raad
3z3t, 2a, 3f2t, 3s2t2r, 3f, 2a w/arm var on landing, 3z, 3s. Not the most exciting skater, but an exciting clean skate. He was pumped.

William Brewster
3z pitch forward hands, 3f lean fall, 2a, 2r, 2f, 3z fall, 3s2t, 2a landed and then lost the edge and fell. Shame he's struggling so much at this point in his career.

Roger Corvasce
3r, 2z, mistake in corner (flip?), 3z2t, 3s 2ft stopped, 2a 2ft gave up, 1f, 3t ur? Pretty uninspiring.

Alex Johnson
Split jump into 3f, 2flutz2t into boards, 2a2t (axel pitched forward), 3r f/o, 3flutz, nice chg edge spiral counter rotation to 3s, 2a, 2f edge hit rut on entry messy landing 2t. Ended a few sec after music.

Brandon Mroz
3a f/o, 3r, 3f2t2r, 2a, 3z3t, 3f pitched forward but landed, 3s tight, 3z2t, also missed the end of the music. We were rooting for him to give it loads and end the competition with a bang but didn't quite happen. I do like this program, however.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Sylvia,

Once again - thanks so much for sharing these notes! How awful to see Rippon had to withdraw, it took me a minute to understand why he wasn't in the final list. I hope the boot problem gets resolved and that he isn't too down about it.

Can I - should I even - say that I wish.....oh how I wish....well, that Rohene could just put it out there in comps like he does in practice....(ouch, sorry.).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How awful to see Rippon had to withdraw, it took me a minute to understand why he wasn't in the final list. I hope the boot problem gets resolved and that he isn't too down about it.
Rippon is thrilled :) that he skated so well in the SP & FS and his boot problem should be resolved in the near future.

Did Carriere withdraw too? I don't see him in Senior FS list...
Carriere only signed up to skate the SP and not the FS. At Liberty, the Senior SP and FS events are not combined for an overall standing and skaters have the option to skate the SP and/or the FS events.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
netnuts, you must have missed his Pirates program last year! The choreo totally rocked and I became an instant fan even though he got that 4th spot coming out of Mids (instead of Rohene)

I believe you have him mixed up with Braden Ovrett. Jeremy was first at Mids.

antmanb

Record Breaker
36.49 Vanessa James/Hamish Gaman (GBR)

:eek:

Oh my god i didn't realise that Vanessa James was skating pairs with Hamish Gaman. Are they training in the US? Have they just got together over the summer? I take it (since she was also competing in singles) that she will continue to skate in the singles event at British Nationals too?

It would be nice to see more thatn one senior pair at nationals. It might be just the thing that King& Kemp need to get them to try something more difficult than SBS double loops.

Any news gratefully recieved.

Ant