Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unsuccessful material

Resident Chinese pair nerd
    Evan's "Grease" program. Grease was definitely not the word for Evan.

FP and M's "I Will Survive": I'm a fan of disco music but a version of this song that sounded like an Irish beer drinking song did not work.

I also agree with Kwan's "Bolero": I never felt the music really suited her.

Here's one that might be a little obscure. Shen and Zhao's "In The Dark" exhibtion from 2002. I can't decide which is worse..the music or the costumes!

Custom Title
    I think it is difficult to determine if Kwan's "Bolero" really belongs in this category because of the likelihood that her ability to perform it was affected by her injuries, rather than the problem being the music. For the other cited examples -- where the skater did not change programs -- are there other explanations besides a poor choice of music, such as injury?

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I think it is difficult to determine if Kwan's "Bolero" really belongs in this category because of the likelihood that her ability to perform it was affected by her injuries, rather than the problem being the music.
    I agree. If you look at Michelle's performance at the season opening Campbell's event, it was really quite electric until marred by a fall at the end.

But by the next time out, the December Marshall's, her hip situation was clearly (clear in retrospect, that is) taking its toll.

Now, if you want a truly awful Bolero, we have the example of Alexander Abt's. This just plodded along (rather like the music), seeming to get slower and slower and slower until thankfully the 4 and a half minutes expired.

But again, it may have been Abt's injuries and resultant stamina issues that dragged the program down, not the music and choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree. If you look at Michelle's performance at the season opening Campbell's event, it was really quite electric until marred by a fall at the end.

But by the next time out, the December Marshall's, her hip situation was clearly (clear in retrospect, that is) taking its toll.

Now, if you want a truly awful Bolero, we have the example of Alexander Abt's. This just plodded along (rather like the music), seeming to get slower and slower and slower until thankfully the 4 and a half minutes expired.

But again, it may have been Abt's injuries and resultant stamina issues that dragged the program down, not the music and choreography.
    In terms of music alone - one of the russians recently (maybe Uspenski??) used Bolero but it had an awful little riff of "you really got me" in it too...truly awful!

Ant

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Last season's FP's 'Child of Nazareth' music for Johnny.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Because of its unusual musical structure, I feel "Bolero" is impossible to properly skate to anyway, I DON'T CARE WHO IS DOING IT. With the exception of Torvill & Dean, who somehow by some miracle and the genius of Christopher Dean, DID manage to pull it off, every single program I have seen of this music (Abt, Plushenko [it's an especially bad idea for a short program], Michelle, Chait/Sakhnovsky) has just fallen absolutely completely flat.

Skater Girl
    It probably doesn't help that Michelle's Bolero had potential but removed all the Dean choreogaphy, probably even prior to Campbells.

Rinkside
    hey everyone...my first time here..

Kwan - Bolere, Belbin/Agosto..I love them but.. thats entertainmente was terrible, Evan - Grease

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop View Post
    Because of its unusual musical structure, I feel "Bolero" is impossible to properly skate to anyway, I DON'T CARE WHO IS DOING IT. With the exception of Torvill & Dean, who somehow by some miracle and the genius of Christopher Dean, DID manage to pull it off, every single program I have seen of this music
    I agree. I've never figured out how T&D managed to create a great program to that. Some music is just unskatable.

Add Joubert's Riverdance program to the list of bad programs. It was just plain awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ##Lara## View Post
    hey everyone...my first time here..
    BEM-VINDA!

It's difficult for a card carrying Michelle Fan, and I am one, to admit that Bolero was devoid a of her normal technical, such as the loop jump, and camel spins, BUT it was. Other than her trade mark change edge spiral and finger movements, I am sure it was not Christopher Dean's concept of a solo Bolero.

Despite the medal awards, her Sheherezade and Tosca were not any better. She was at this point from 2006 to be extremely cautious of what she tweaked. There was no faults of the choreographers, imo.

(She kept the image going though, and made beaucoup d'argent on her love for competition in cheesefests.)

Joe

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Because of its unusual musical structure, I feel "Bolero" is impossible to properly skate to anyway, I DON'T CARE WHO IS DOING IT. With the exception of Torvill & Dean, who somehow by some miracle and the genius of Christopher Dean, DID manage to pull it off, every single program I have seen of this music (Abt, Plushenko [it's an especially bad idea for a short program], Michelle, Chait/Sakhnovsky) has just fallen absolutely completely flat.

i am not saying Bolero os bad music. It is masterpeice. but like Chopin's prelude ( which i simply adore) it is nearly impossible to pull off a skating program.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

Despite the medal awards, her Sheherezade and Tosca were not any better. She was at this point from 2006 to be extremely cautious of what she tweaked. There was no faults of the choreographers, imo.

Joe
    I thought the Michelle/Scheherezade combination was going to be absolutely incredible, and ITA that it fell flat, but I do actually blame the choreographer. I think if Lori Nichol had choreographed this one, it WOULD have been great, but I saw nothing, choreography-wise, in that program that was even remotely memorable, and I don't feel it had much to do with Michelle being cautious (which with her tended to show up more in the jumps anyway.).

Banned
    I liked her Scheherezade. It was perhaps disappointing because it wasn't a "6.0" program, but all of the elements went well with the music and the program did build to a satisfying conclusion.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I thought the Michelle/Scheherezade combination was going to be absolutely incredible, and ITA that it fell flat, but I do actually blame the choreographer. I think if Lori Nichol had choreographed this one, it WOULD have been great, but I saw nothing, choreography-wise, in that program that was even remotely memorable, and I don't feel it had much to do with Michelle being cautious (which with her tended to show up more in the jumps anyway.).
    I think that Michelle could have made Scherherzade her signiture program.... but it just didin't seem to be her year. she left Frank and i guess really was just focusing on lnading clean jumps... she was even practicing a triple lutz, triple loop so i guess the chreography just got sidlined. too bad. so much potienal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast