Coaching change question | Golden Skate

Coaching change question

passion

On the Ice
Do you need to ask permission from the current coach or do you just let them know that you're moving on and how do you say it without causing havoc and hurt feelings?

skater88

Spectator
hello passion,

my advice to you would be to honest with your coach with regards to the reasons why you'd like to switch to another coach. Tell your coach why you want to change and if they are legitimate reasons, I'm sure there would be no hard feelings between the two of you. Of course this also depends on your coaches personality. If he or she is very professional, then I would expect that your coach would respect your decision.

Remember that your coach cannot make you feel bad for going to another coach. In a way, you are the customer and if you are not satisfied with your lessons, then it is your right to change. When I changed coaches, my old coach tried to do the whole guilt trip thing about how students must be loyal to their coaches, which did make me feel bad. But I kept reminding myself that she was the one who was always coming an hour late for my lessons and was always getting distracted during lessons. And in the end everything turned out fine, and there were no hard feelings.

Also, I don't know whether this applies to where you skate, but for me, we're not allowed to start taking lessons from a new coach unless we have settled all payments and lessons with the old coach.

So yeah, hope everything works out for you ;)