Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JGP results/point standings

Custom Title

JGP results/point standings

The ISU has published the JGP point standings of the Lake Placid results.

Ladies: http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsladies.htm

Men: http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsmen.htm

Pairs: http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpspairs.htm

Dance: http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsdance.htm

Note: The USA's men's and ladies' assignments for Zagreb/CRO (boxes with 'X' in them) are considered "provisional" at this time.

Custom Title
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that Armin, Mirai and Alexe will be going to Croatia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that Armin, Mirai and Alexe will be going to Croatia.
    Actually, it's better not to assume anything at this point because the USFS International Committee may decide not to send gold and silver medalists in the same discipline (i.e. Nagasu and Gilles) to the same second JGP. We shall have to wait and see...

Thanks for the links, Sylvia. This will be a quick click when one wants it.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Actually, it's better not to assume anything at this point because the USFS International Committee may decide not to send gold and silver medalists in the same discipline (i.e. Nagasu and Gilles) to the same second JGP. We shall have to wait and see...
    I wonder why they are pairing Chrissy Hughes and Carol Ann Alba in Romania. I don't know much about Chrissy Hughes, but this is her first JGP, and it seemed reasonable to pair her with Melissa Bulanhagui. When Melissa withdrew with injury, I was surprised to see another JGP firster assigned with Hughes. Alba won the Junior Ladies event at the BC Summerskate, but that was a very weak field. She barely beat Rika Inoda (CAN), who is listed as a JGP substitute.

Meanwhile, both Kristine Musademba and Rachael Flatt were assigned to Austria. Even though they, too, are JGP firsters, they are both very strong skaters. As a Senior, Rachael scored 141+ at Broadmoor (while injured) and 157+ at Liberty; and Kristine racked up a total of 144+ qualifying for the Junior Ladies Free Skate Final at Liberty, and recently won Junior Ladies at the Cranberry Open with a score of 137+.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I wonder why they are pairing Chrissy Hughes and Carol Ann Alba in Romania. I don't know much about Chrissy Hughes, but this is her first JGP, and it seemed reasonable to pair her with Melissa Bulanhagui. When Melissa withdrew with injury, I was surprised to see another JGP firster assigned with Hughes. Alba won the Junior Ladies event at the BC Summerskate, but that was a very weak field. She barely beat Rika Inoda (CAN), who is listed as a JGP substitute.

Meanwhile, both Kristine Musademba and Rachael Flatt were assigned to Austria. Even though they, too, are JGP firsters, they are both very strong skaters. As a Senior, Rachael scored 141+ at Broadmoor (while injured) and 157+ at Liberty; and Kristine racked up a total of 144+ qualifying for the Junior Ladies Free Skate Final at Liberty, and recently won Junior Ladies at the Cranberry Open with a score of 137+.
    Agree!! That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Agree!! That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy.

Joe
    Maybe it was too late to move Flatt or Musademba to vienna after Bulanhagui had to withdraw. Lets hope they do some good planning when it comes to the 2nd JGPs.

I believe so far Nagasu, Gilles, Maxwell, Kanallakan, Mahbanoozadeh, Butler/Jacobsen, Bosley/Corona and Samuelson/Bates all qualify for a 2nd JGP.
    Thoug I would probably pair Nagasu and Maxwell on the ladies side and send Gilles to another event maybe Bulgaria with Bulanhagui. But I guess we will have wait and see what the International Committee? comes up with.

Custom Title
    Has Bulanhagui been reassigned at this point?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_persch View Post
    Maybe it was too late to move Flatt or Musademba [from] vienna after Bulanhagui had to withdraw.
    This sounds plausible to me. USFS also has to take into consideration the travel expenses/budget for the JGP skaters and coaches. I do think it's possible that Melissa Bulanhagui may receive a JGP replacement assignment if she is recovered from her injury.

Lets hope they do some good planning when it comes to the 2nd JGPs.
    We can only hope!

Custom Title
    We can only hope!
    Looks like they didn't :frown2:

USFSA just announced that Gilles, Nagasu & Kanallaken were assigned to JGP Croatia. In TBD on men.

Bosley & Corona replace Hubbells

Custom Title
    You mean didn't assign Nagasu and Gilles to different 2nd JGPs? It's my understanding that the coaches and skaters involved were all consulted beforehand and that there were logical reasons for not doing so in this particular instance.

USFSA just announced that Gilles, Nagasu & Kanallaken were assigned to JGP Croatia. In TBD on men.
    I'm guessing that TBD means ToBeDetermined? Am I correct and what has that got to do with a second GP?

Joe

Custom Title
    I'm guessing that TBD means ToBeDetermined? Am I correct and what has that got to do with a second GP?
    Yes, TBD = To Be Determined. Here's the link to USFS' International Assignments page where official assignments are published for all the USA skaters (the rest of the Croatia TBD slots were filled today except for one man TBD): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Yes, in order to give the Hubbells more injury recovery time, from what I've heard.

The USFS' International Committee is likely going to wait for the results from Romania this week before finalizing/publishing other assignments. For example, Armin Mahbanoozadeh (men's gold in Lake Placid) has obviously earned a 2nd JGP assignment and will likely be slotted into Bulgaria (#6), while Angela Maxwell (bronze in Lake Placid) should have a decent chance at getting a 2nd assignment at some point.

ETA the following information that was originally posted in the Lake Placid JGP thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    I believe USFS sent an email to all the skaters with assignments to the first four JGPs and to all the named alternates, explaining its policy for second assignments. Although I haven't seen said email, I understand that it works this way: If you finish no worse than 4th at JGP #2, #3, or #4, you get a second assignment. The Lake Placid competitors were only promised (not sure that's quite the right word) a second assignment if they finished in the top 4 *and* were one of the top 2 US competitors. (I assume that is because the US has one more slot in the first 4 JGPs than in the last 4, so promising second assignments to all 3 competitors at Lake Placid could have been a problem.) The email does indicate, however, that other factors may be considered. I believe those include depth of field and the actual performance.
    This is correct.

Normally a top 4 finish will lead to a second JGP assignment for the U.S. skaters, but there often is more flexibility in pairs and dance, and so I'm guessing that Paetsch/Nuss (5th in Lake Placid) will likely receive a 2nd JGP. In fact, two of the eight pair teams that qualified for last year's JGP Final finished 5th in one of their JGP competitions.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-06-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    With three events down and five to go, U.S. ladies hold the top five positions in the overall standings.

http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsladies.htm

Nagasu (will also skate in Croatia)
    Flatt (Germany)
    Chrissy Hughes (Bulgaria)
    Musademba (Germany)
    Alexe Gilles (Croatia).

Musademba was paired with Flatt in both of their assignments; same with Nagasu and Gilles.
    Just wanted to remind folks that the Germany assignments for the U.S. ladies are still considered "provisional" at this time (because they haven't been published on the USFS' International Assignments page yet).

Custom Title
    That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy.
    Well, it worked out well for Chrissy Hughes in Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Has Bulanhagui been reassigned at this point?
    Melissa has been "provisionally" assigned to Bulgaria, but I believe she has to be monitored before officially receiving the assignment.

Yes, TBD = To Be Determined. Here's the link to USFS' International Assignments page where official assignments are published for all the USA skaters (the rest of the Croatia TBD slots were filled today except for one man TBD): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    The USFS' International Committee is likely going to wait for the results from Romania this week before finalizing/publishing other assignments. For example, Armin Mahbanoozadeh (men's gold in Lake Placid) has obviously earned a 2nd JGP assignment and will likely be slotted into Bulgaria (#6), while Angela Maxwell (bronze in Lake Placid) should have a decent chance at getting a 2nd assignment at some point.
    Update: Mahbanoozadeh was added to Croatia on 9/11. Maxwell has not received a 2nd assignment yet, but should still be in the running for one of the remaining ladies' spots.

Bosley & Corona replace Hubbells [in Croatia].
    Update: Pilar Bosley/John Corona (dance bronze medalists in Lake Placid) have since been shifted to Germany.

The official U.S. entries so far for Germany are the 3 pair teams published on the ISU's Bulgaria roster yesterday -- Butler/Jacobsen, Paetsch/Nuss and Claire Davis/Nathan Miller (originally one of the alternate teams) -- plus Bosley/Corona in dance. These names were all added to the USFS' International Assignments page yesterday (Sept. 15), even though these 4 assignments are (mis?)dated Sept. 12.

Alexander Johnson (2007 U.S. novice men's silver medalist) is not officially listed on the USFS' International Assignments page yet, but his name was just added to the ISU's roster for Bulgaria on Sept. 15, to join Adam Rippon's and so I think it's "almost official" : http://www.isufs.org/events/cat00006053.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-16-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast