Thread: Help on finding music

Custom Title

Help on finding music

I'm in the little hell called music-choosing at the moment. I have been looking for musik to my new short program the entire summer, but find none so far. I was wondering if you creative people out there could help and give me some ideas.

I'm a 20 year old Novice and one of those skaters who'd rather stab themselves in the eye than skate to Carmen... (as Kwanford Wife said it) or swan lake. My style on the ice is fairly similar to Irina Slutskaya's. I am looking for something original with lots of emotion and power (not too slow, my spirals pretty much sucks), something you haven't seen a million times before.

My earlier programs have been:
    The neverending story (free)
    Lord of the Dance (free)
    Ghostbusters (short)
    Phantom of the Opera [a rock version] (free)
    Gladiator (short)
    The Addams Family (free)
    Peter Pan [the 2003 one] (short)
    Celtic Tiger (free)

I would be so greatful for any kind of help. I am so stuck and completely out of ideas.
    Thanks guys

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Aren't you Swedish? I see you're mainly into popular music, but Swedish classical music might be unusual and impressive.

I think the final movement of Stenhammar's D minor piano concerto could be beautiful. It is very dashing and triumphant ("champion music" IMO) but also has extremely lyrical parts.

http://www.rhapsody.com/wilhelmstenh...no2chitrasuite

(If the link doesn't work, search Stenhammar on Rhapsody and look for PC #2 in D minor Op 23 part IV.

Custom Title
    Have you thought of Finlandia? Bit hard to cut because there is so much good stuff - but the footwork sequence is obvious as is the spiral sequence. Both times I've used this program - the skaters were female and carried it off because they were 'strong' skaters (not necessarily in skating skills but in presence on the ice). I've also seen a senior man use it successfullly as well.

Might as well choose something in your own 'backyard' so to speak!

Custom Title
    Not familiar with Finlandia.... What composer is that?

Custom Title
    Jean Sibelius - Finnish by birth but Swedish.

Custom Title
    Thanks

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    What about Karl Jenkin's Palladio: I Allegretto. Johnny wier used it for his short program last year.. i really like it and a powerful skater coudl do a lot with it.

Medalist
    Hmm...I don't know if you have chosen your music already, but your question got me thinking. I'm partial to piano music, so...

Artur Rubinstein playing any of the Chopin polonaises, especially Polonaise in F-sharp minor, Op. 44.

Jorge Bolet playing Liszt's 12th Hungarian Rhapsody, Mephisto Waltz No. 1, or Funerailles.

Evgeni Kissin playing Bach's Toccata, Adagio & Fugue In C, Bwv 564. (Actually I don't really like this particular interpretation but it's the only one I have, and I do like the music itself.)

Van Cliburn playing Rachmaninov's Etude-Tableau for Piano, Op. 39, No. 5 in E-flat minor.

Maurizio Pollini playing the Chopin etudes.

For orchestral music - Beethoven, Brahms, and Wagner come to mind when I think powerful and passionate.

For popular music - a band called Savatage (aka Trans-Siberian Orchestra) has an instrumental metal/classical track called Mozart and Madness on their album Dead Winter Dead. Also on that album an electric guitar version of Ode to Joy.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Since you are Swedish...how about something by ABBA? I always wanted to skate to SOS. Great beat and nice piano background.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Have you thought of Phantom of the Opera on Ice? The one that Irina Slutskaya used in 1997, and then Volozoshar and Morozov used last year:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jVCCw3_-ZnI

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by c_e_ahlen View Post
    I'm in the little hell called music-choosing at the moment. I have been looking for musik to my new short program the entire summer, but find none so far. I was wondering if you creative people out there could help and give me some ideas.

I'm a 20 year old Novice and one of those skaters who'd rather stab themselves in the eye than skate to Carmen... (as Kwanford Wife said it) or swan lake. My style on the ice is fairly similar to Irina Slutskaya's. I am looking for something original with lots of emotion and power (not too slow, my spirals pretty much sucks), something you haven't seen a million times before.

My earlier programs have been:
    The neverending story (free)
    Lord of the Dance (free)
    Ghostbusters (short)
    Phantom of the Opera [a rock version] (free)
    Gladiator (short)
    The Addams Family (free)
    Peter Pan [the 2003 one] (short)
    Celtic Tiger (free)

I would be so greatful for any kind of help. I am so stuck and completely out of ideas.
    Thanks guys
    okay. music is a real personal thing here. music come from the heart and it should demonstrate how u express urself rather than wat other ppl tell u it should be. wat u like is wat matters, and its not wat music it is, it how u become the character of the music. it could be about a moment in time for u or it could be a point u wanna show or it could also be a story. its YOUR program, not anyone's. if u wanna bring it, just bring it ON!