Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you were a skater

Custom Title

If you were a skater

Do you think you would search the skating forums to see what other people were saying about you? Or would you stay away from the forums? I personally would be too curious and would be all over.

Custom Title
    I'd be way too curious. I'd probably post under a false name as well, just to figure out what people thought. I would be all over it as well.

No way!!! Fans are biased, imo. Reading them will be either too sugary or too nasty. However, I would hire a very cognizant figure skating fan to read them, and bring to my attention any useful constructive criticisms.

Joe

Rinkside

well..

Don't you think skaters get tired of what fans think? At least I'm sure the skaters who have been doing this forever probably lose interest and just do their thing..but as for the younger set, maybe they can get more curious. In fact, I wonder if there is a famous figure skater on this forum, reading everything we write,,hhhhmmmmm...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i woudl be too busy to care. It's what the judges like, not the fans.

On the Ice
    I've been thinking about this one because I'm a bit of a message-board obsessive so I don't know whether that would ever change, but I don't think I would seek out opinions on what people think of me. I might be interested in the 'What music should so-and-so skate to next season' threads, but with regards technique and skill I would hope my own coaching team would tell me where I was going wrong.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I'm sure I probably would at first during the start of the period where I actually had enough of a competitive record for people to actually BE talking about me, but given the nature of some comments about skaters that I have read on this board, the fascination probably wouldn't last long. No matter how talented and popular you are, there are always going to be a few negative (and oftimes unnecessarily nasty) comments, and who needs to bog themselves down with such negativity??

Custom Title
    i would be too curious so i think probably i would read everything!
    Probaly every skater sometimes read what we write in forums about them

I think if I were a skater I wouldn't have the time to really care :lol: much less come on to the site...

I'd be too afraid of the haters to want to see anything.

Custom Title
    Skaters definitely read some forums, some threads. Generally they seem most interested in ones pertaining to themselves (big surprised, lol!) and occasionally their direct rivals.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    However, I would hire a very cognizant figure skating fan to read them, and bring to my attention any useful constructive criticisms.
    Don’t they already do that? As well as hire ppl to write their blogs?

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Good, bad, or in between, I would have a hard time staying away from the boards.

Then again, I was on the internet two days before the new Harry Potter book was released, looking for major spoilers...I'm SO weak, lol !!!

Same as now. I would read and think about it. What happens next - how I take it - is up to me.

On the Ice
    I suspect many skaters do check the skating forums, or have someone do so on their behalf. Both Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette have publicly responded to information posted about them on internet discussion boards. I also heard a tale about them apparently reading FSU at an internet café in France while competing at TEB, but have no idea if this is really true.

When the iskater network was still around Sarah Hughes' coach Robin Wagner created a bit o drama every now and again replying to threads that were critical of the young skater

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast