Skaters and Injuries | Golden Skate

Skaters and Injuries

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just wanted to know whether there ever has been a top skater who has gone through her career without some kind of injury? I thought Kwan would have made the list but alas. Just curious to know whether injury is really a necessary evil for skating at the highest (top 8) level.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I too would love to know this and like the direction the question is suggesting possibilities.

No one comes to my mind...... start to finish........ "top 8"???/?? can't think of any.

Did Debbi Thomas?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I thought injuries didn't get to be common until comparatively recently -- did top skaters get injuries with the same frequency in the '70s or '80s as they do today?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't rember sale and Pellitier having injuries... but i could be wrong. It is pretty much impossible for me to think of another anybody else that is skating recently. Injuries are striking so often now. I don't belive that kimmie has had one yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't belive [sic] that kimmie has had one yet.

Well, her career is still young and she's got years to come. I was referring mostly to retired/semi-retired skaters and skaters who have been skating at the senior level for 5 or more years.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't rember sale and Pellitier having injuries... but i could be wrong. [/I]

That would be amazing to me that a pairs team would go career free of injury. Of all to have injuries, pairs is the first to mind for me acutely. How could they go injury free???

eta, I thought Kimmie had an ankle "issue" 2 years back?????

Kypma

Final Flight
That would be amazing to me that a pairs team would go career free of injury. Of all to have injuries, pairs is the first to mind for me acutely. How could they go injury free???

Didn't David (Pelletier) get a back injury in their first year as seniors, preventing them from going to 4 Continents and Worlds, something like [worlds] 1999?

Kypma

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Even Karen Magnussen in the 70s suffered from two stress factures in her legs so injuries have been a part of figure skating for quite sometime. However, I do believe when figures dominated figure skating there were not as many skaters getting injured as one hears of today. Back then the emphasis was on control and balance. Also skaters were not required to do as many jumps and combinations as today. The risk factor today is high therefore more chance for injury. Also skaters participate in more competitons and ice shows during the year than they did before. When they joined Ice Capades or Ice Follies they did not have to perform many jumps in their programs and they only did doubles.

I think it has gotten a little out of hand now compared to the early days.

enlight78

Medalist
I am very curious what a statistic showing the frequency of injuries among elite skaters in the past fifty years would look like. It would also be neat to show the consistancies of different kinds of injuries and what caused the injury.

dutchherder

Final Flight
I do think injuries are more common now, but I also think that now skaters' injuries are much more public knowledge than they used to be. Heck, even Tai didn't know about Randy's injury at the Olympics until they were on the warmup ice...

R.D.

Record Breaker
In addition, the skaters are doing much more demanding things now than ever before.

passion

On the Ice
I am very curious what a statistic showing the frequency of injuries among elite skaters in the past fifty years would look like. It would also be neat to show the consistancies of different kinds of injuries and what caused the injury.

That would be very interesting.

antmanb

Record Breaker

eta, I thought Kimmie had an ankle "issue" 2 years back?????

Though to be fair Sale and Pelletier as a team were only together for what...3 seasons. They may have suffered injuried with previous partners/as part of their singles careers?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, her career is still young and she's got years to come. I was referring mostly to retired/semi-retired skaters and skaters who have been skating at the senior level for 5 or more years.

Was Witt injury free? Maybe we wouldn't have gotten to hear about it anyway?

Ant

I just wanted to know whether there ever has been a top skater who has gone through her career without some kind of injury? I thought Kwan would have made the list but alas. Just curious to know whether injury is really a necessary evil for skating at the highest (top 8) level.
People-in-th-know were aware of Kwan's problems years before you did. She skated injured for many years including 98 Olys.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Witt didn't, tho as antman points out, they probably wouldn't have let on about it if she were. Thomas DID had an injury during the 86-87 season and barely trained leading up to the 87 Nats. Seems to me Boitano had something or other going on about the same time.

Off the top of my head, I can think of very few. I don't think Maria Butrskaja ever had a major one, and Brian Orser always seemed to be pretty healthy. Scott Hamilton never had a major one, and I don't think Kristi Yamaguchi ever did either.

I'm not sure I would include any current skaters on a list like this, because their career is still going on, and secondly, let's please not jinx anybody....:)

capcomop

Rinkside
You would need to clearly define what is meant by injury. I am sure almost every skater in history has skated in some pain, quite a few even when a conservative dr would say 'no.'
Maybe looking at injuries that force withdrawal from a compeition or scheduled event?
Of course that is going to look different with older skaters whose schedule might be Nats, worlds, and something else vs. two or three GPs, GPF, 4C, nats, worlds and then the something elses!