Westminster Dog Show | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Westminster Dog Show

4dogknight

Re: Puppy mills

Wow I seem to have been preaching to the choir about puppy mills. Sometimes I forget I'm not the only one crusading for animal rights.

I think the most interesting fact concerning puppy mills is that they are USDA licensed and monitored. The link below gives further information.

www.hsus.org/ace/11797

4dk

4dogknight

Re: My Kids

GoldenLady, you asked about my three furfaces. I'll try to be succinct but you know how parents get, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Gypsy: Female, 9 - we think, black, about 35 lbs, great body - looks like a thoroughbred. Probably has lab and some type of sight hound because of the bat ears, long torso and legs that go on forever (similar to Pharoh and Ibezan hounds) This is the alpha dog and doesn't let the others forget it. Gyp-Gyp came from a Pet's Mart adoption program, in fact she picked us. She wouldn't let me alone until we adopted her but that is a story for another time.

Eleanor: Female, 8 - 9 we think, parti colored, about 75 lbs with fur, 55 pounds summer cut. Probably has lab, German Shepherd Dog, Collie and we think some wolf. El was adopted by one of the neighbors who prompty tied her up, installed an electronic fence and promply forgot about her. She'd leave her yard, yes even with that electronic collar, and come to our house to play with our kids. We'd either call them to come get her or we'd take her home. The last time we took her home, the owner said that they'd have to get rid of her because she kept running away. Eleanor has been with us ever since. She is our earth mother; she's so laid back that she's clear to the other side.

Fred: Male, 8 -9 we think, black and tan with a plumy tail and white underneath, very impressive when watching him run. Probably lab, Manchester Terrier, and some other breed with a marceled coat. Fred just showed up one day and played with our kids but wouldn't let us humans get close. (Which is unusual because animals and small children adore my husband.) After about three days and finding out that the dog was eating the neighbor's cat's food, he finally let my husband get close. I remember standing in my kitchen when my husband opened the garage door and said, "I'm going to let that dog in!" You must remember that we had three dogs living in our house, plus the neighbor's dogs who somehow or another always wound up at our house to play.
In a state of shock but keeping my composure, I said "Are you sure?" I always know what to say at times like these.
It's all history now, Fred is here to stay.

A couple of things: Vocalization - Eleanor howls like a wolf as a method of communication and has taught Gypsy to howl except in Gypsy's case it's coming out like a yodel. Would I could put the sound on the forum. (Anybody remember Spike Jones?)

Fred is the protector. He thinks it's his duty to protect our property, and the property within a five mile radius. He especially protects us against the evil UPS, Fedex, and Special Delivery Mail drivers. Actually it's the sound of the engines that sets him off.

Is there another dog for us on the horizon for us? I don't know but if there's a dog and it needs help, I know where they can bunk with friends.

4dk

J

JOHIO2

4dog,

your pets seem to arrive the way mine do - they just show up and stay or someone else wants to get rid of them! Doesn't make them any less your pet or less than any other pet.

My mother was an infamous soft-touch. Animals came and stayed. People kept giving us more. We never turned them down. These days, I live alone (except for my Smokie) in an apartment. At her advanced age, she gets to be an only kitty. I know I'll eventually get another pet, probably another dog this time since I promised my allergist no more cats. Maybe another hamster, I just love the little beasties!

I always love hearing about the fur people!

G

GoldenLady1

4dogknight, thanks for telling me about your kids. They sound like a great combination, and I loved hearing about how they joined your family. Looks like all of them picked you in one way or another, and insisted that they be yours - and that was that. I think thats wonderful. I guess whenever that fourth dog does come along, youll know it. :)

Thanks again, and give those kids big hugs for me, okay?