Interview with Michelle on Russia Today | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Interview with Michelle on Russia Today

Sorry, but I don't get the difference between the two, at least not without more medical information than has been made public. Irina started nailing down complicated 3/3 when it became necessary. This was before the rise of the Japanese ladies -- she started doing them on the "If I can't out-do MK on the artistry, I'll out-jump her", and she got them back even after recovering from the vasculitis. So, I see no reason why Michelle couldn't do the same if her hip allows her to do so -- and I don't know enough about her specific injury to determine that issue.
And she was doing them when she was YOUNG which you are not mentioning since you think skaters overs 22 do not lose air rotation ability. Be more specific on whether Irina did 3x3s at an early age?,continued doing them at an early age, And did not learn them at 25?

Right now, I don't know if Michelle is physically able to come back, or, assuming that she is able, if she will actually decide to do so. I do feel, though, that at this stage, the only prediction that I feel safe making is the extent to which ticket prices will increase if Michelle does return.
Michelle has always be tight lipped about her joints and muscles. One has to speculate. A die hard fan will say the recent surgery cured it all and she's totally fit to come back and do 3Lutz 3Loop. I wont say that.

She is undoubtedly the most popular skater in the USA and will draw Americans to see her skate in COI or in competitions. No problem.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
And she was doing them when she was YOUNG which you are not mentioning since you think skaters overs 22 do not lose air rotation ability. Be more specific on whether Irina did 3x3s at an early age?,continued doing them at an early age, And did not learn them at 25?

IIRC, Irina landed her first 3 lutz/3 loop at the GPF in 2000; she would have been about 21 or 22 at that time. That is why I asked about how long it takes between learning a combination and landing it, so I could estimate if this meant she learned it in her 20s or not. I don't recall Irina even trying that jump again (let alone landing it cleanly) until 2005 -- which was after she had nearly died from vasculitis, and I think she would have been about 25 or 26.

IIRC, Irina landed her first 3 lutz/3 loop at the GPF in 2000; she would have been about 21 or 22 at that time. That is why I asked about how long it takes between learning a combination and landing it, so I could estimate if this meant she learned it in her 20s or not. I don't recall Irina even trying that jump again (let alone landing it cleanly) until 2005 -- which was after she had nearly died from vasculitis, and I think she would have been about 25 or 26.
Of course, we can not know when she started 'working' on a 3/3 in practice. She did not jump into a GPF in 2000 and execute a 3/3 without practicing it. She must have landed them before that competition and for some time before. It was in her program at SLC but she turned it into a 3/2 as she did in 2010. She was not a sure of herself as she was when she was younger. It was that determinaton in the GPs of 2005 that worked but I can't remember if she did it in the GPF. Mao did win.

Her illness and her determination speak only wonders of Irina.

Joe

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Michelle's surgery

I'm surprised that Mathman was able to post after looking at those pictures. :laugh: :laugh:

Would someone be so kind as to post what kind of surgery Michelle had. I know that she had surgery but don't know what kind.

Dee

From a USFSA news release 9/6/06 "In August, following the Champions on Ice tour, Kwan had elective arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in her right hip which she sustained during the 2004-2005 season."

Maureen

icejunkie

Spectator
Those​
Who fain would call themselves her foes
And wish upon her endless woes
Remind me most of cawing crows.

I like her teeth, I like her nose,
I like her hair, I like her clothes,
I like her Lutzes, flips and toes,
And so this sonnet I compose.

She's given us our ah's and oh's,
From warm-ups tp her closing pose,
Her smile can reach the highest rows,
Make ladies cheer and men propose!

Our Shelly's had her highs and lows,
She's had her Yes!!! she's had her no's.
Now Shelly says, "That's how it goes.
"About the future, no one knows! ;)

"So to my fans I say, don't pine.
"A World's medal? I've got nine!" :)
That's awesome!! :laugh:

In all honesty - If she wants to come back, then more power to her (like mathman, I would much rather see her give it one more crack at U.S. nationals and break a 70-year standing record!) but really, she doesn't need another World medal or Olympic medal. At this point, the Olympic gold is just the cherry on a very large, mouth-watering sunday. She doesn't need to risk her body to get it.

The way I look at it, she is going out of competition with a whimper (a practice fall in Torino). If she wants to make a comeback, then she will go out with a bang (win or lose with her boots on).

Joe

layman

On the Ice
I have to chuckle when the majority sentiment seems to be:

"Sh%*, the Kween's coming back. I wish she would hang up her skates for good and give somebody else a chance."

I say, come back Kween. Figure Skating has not been the same without you.

You know Michelle is still dangerous when you have people worried that she may deny the young'uns there chance in the sun. I agree with Michelle that if Maria Butryskaya had listened to the doubters, naysayers and haters (in her own federation), she would never have won her World Medal. So I say, come back Kween.

krenseby

Final Flight

"Sh%*, the Kween's coming back. I wish she would hang up her skates for good and give somebody else a chance."

You know Michelle is still dangerous when you have people worried that she may deny the young'uns there chance in the sun. I agree with Michelle that if Maria Butryskaya had listened to the doubters, naysayers and haters (in her own federation), she would never have won her World Medal. So I say, come back Kween.

I don't think they want her to hang up her skates for good to give other people a chance. It's more like it that people don't like seeing a top skater landing a few steps beneath the podium. That pains many fans somehow.

Who remembers and praises Katarina Witt and Midori Ito for reinstating past their prime?

People never mention these sub-par come back attempts and consider them to be shameful.

Heck, even Maria Butyrskaya went downhill after her inspiring Worlds win at the age of 26. She dropped to down bronze the year after, and dropped of the podium in 2001.

I remember the video where she looked really sad after learning that Sarah Hughes beat her for bronze. I bet the experience of withdrawing from 2002 Worlds was no fun either.

Skaters on their way down don't enjoy the fall. Would Michelle?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, I heard a lot of people talk quite a bit about Katerina Witt's '94 comeback -- but it concerned the idea she was coming back more to make a political statement about Sarajevo than she was coming back to win a third OGM. Elaine Zayak was overjoyed with her fourth place finish at Nats -- because she wanted to prove that she could still mix it up with the best, even if she didn't medal.

Michelle could easily come back to change the terms of her leaving the sport -- to show that she is leaving strong and healthy and happy. I would think that Michelle's health issues, like Irina's, would change her priorities somewhat.

oleada

Record Breaker

I don't think that's what has been said in this thread. Like krenesby said, people don't want to see an icon slip down to much lower rankings. It can be pretty painful for fans to watch. Additionally, she had a pretty bad injury, and it would be sad if she made it worse for a comeback, when she's already won worlds and nationals multiple times.

The reason *I* don't want Michelle back is that while I admire her great skating and the contributions she's made to the sport, I personally found her boring to watch. I think she's a great person, competitor and skater, but I never got into her programs. So I don't really want to watch her again. It's not because I think she's denying someone their chance in the sun.

^ It's only four and a half minutes. Couldn't you take a refrigerator break so you didn't have to watch? ;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Kwan came back among the current field I personally think alot of it would be to finish her career on her own terms. I would be fine with that. I would enjoy watching her skate her final 1, 2, or even 3 years even with tamer "competitive" goals.

Actually before this season I would have said I would have some optimism for her competitively speaking had she returned. After seeing this season unfold though, not anymore. The Asian Juggarnaut is not something she would ever reach "competitively speaking" at this point in time. She probably knows thats too. So coming back would be about personal vindication, and unfinished business between her and the sport, not about serious competitive goals.

I can't read Michelle's mind, of course, but I don't think she has any unfinished business with figure skating. She has the heart of a tiger, but only human flesh. She gave everything she had.

Michelle's performances made my spirits soar. We will not pass this way again.

krenseby

Final Flight
I can't read Michelle's mind, of course, but I don't think she has any unfinished business with figure skating. She has the heart of a tiger, but only human flesh. She gave everything she had.

Michelle's performances made my spirits soar. We will not pass this way again.

Actually, her goal was to make it to the 2006 Olympics. She was certain to retire afterwards even if she had been healthy. In her own mind, 2006 Olympics was the last major competition to stick around for before retiring. So folks, all things considered, she wouldn't be competing against Mao and Yuna anyhow. Even if her hip had never faltered.

Lanie

On the Ice
Michelle needs to give it up already and live her life. It's over, it's done, she simply wouldn't be competitive anyway. I think she went to the Olympics knowing she was injured anyhow, but sponsors needed her because she is so famous because Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic single-handedly destroyed figure skating with their whining and moaning in Salt Lake City.

It's the same thing for Sasha: she wouldn't be competitive, not like she ever truly was in a lot of ways, she should go do something constructive, not be an actress. Michelle's going to school, she's working for the government, she has so many opportunities s he's taking advantage of.

krenseby

Final Flight
Michelle needs to give it up already and live her life. It's over, it's done, she simply wouldn't be competitive anyway. I think she went to the Olympics knowing she was injured anyhow, but sponsors needed her because she is so famous because Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic single-handedly destroyed figure skating with their whining and moaning in Salt Lake City.

It's the same thing for Sasha: she wouldn't be competitive, not like she ever truly was in a lot of ways, she should go do something constructive, not be an actress. Michelle's going to school, she's working for the government, she has so many opportunities s he's taking advantage of.

Lanie, what you mention simply makes sense. It all boils down to two simple factors.

1. It's normal for one generation of skaters to surpass another in terms of technical skills. It happened before already.

2. It's also normal for ultra-competitive skaters who are really into the sport to hang up their skaters and move on to something else.

I think Michelle's fans want to see her skate competitively more than she does herself. That's my bet.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, her goal was to make it to the 2006 Olympics. She was certain to retire afterwards even if she had been healthy. In her own mind, 2006 Olympics was the last major competition to stick around for before retiring. So folks, all things considered, she wouldn't be competing against Mao and Yuna anyhow. Even if her hip had never faltered.

She said in an inteview (before the Moscow Worlds) that, depending on what happened, she would stick around to 2007 -- if she had continued her medal streak through Moscow, Torino until Worlds of 2007, she would have joined Sonia Henie as the only two ladies skaters with 3 Oly medals and tied or passed her for most world medals.So, she might have been competing against Mao and Yu Na for a while at least.

I think what Michelle really wants is the chance to find out what she is capable of doing, and, based on that, make her own decision regarding her future at her own pace. Since that is a right that most of us demand for ourselves, I think she is entitled to do so -- no matter what my private opinion might be about the final decision she will eventually make.