JGP # 1 Lake Placid | Page 7 | Golden Skate

JGP # 1 Lake Placid

I think I read somewhere that USFSA dishes out the rest of its JGP spots based on how skaters do at their first event - does this mean Tommy might not get another one? :-/
Good question! I don't have the answer, and I thought all the US assignments were given out already. Well, I hope he gets another to redeem himself. I believe Lake Placid was an event he should have won. The others will be more difficult.

Joe

acraven

Rinkside
Qualifying for Second JGP Assignment

I believe USFS sent an email to all the skaters with assignments to the first four JGPs and to all the named alternates, explaining its policy for second assignments. Although I haven't seen said email, I understand that it works this way: If you finish no worse than 4th at JGP #2, #3, or #4, you get a second assignment. The Lake Placid competitors were only promised (not sure that's quite the right word) a second assignment if they finished in the top 4 *and* were one of the top 2 US competitors. (I assume that is because the US has one more slot in the first 4 JGPs than in the last 4, so promising second assignments to all 3 competitors at Lake Placid could have been a problem.) The email does indicate, however, that other factors may be considered. I believe those include depth of field and the actual performance.

Based on my understanding of the policy, all the Lake Placid competitors are assured of second assignments *except* for the following: Angela Maxwell (3rd US finisher, though she medaled), Tommy Steenberg (below 4th), Paetsch/Nuss (below 4th), Byrne/Bartholomay (below 4th), and Bailey Herring (below 4th).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs is a different animal. I think Paetsch/Nuss will get another assignment even though they had a bad day at Lake Placid. Two teams who had been given assignments have split: Luchau/Speroff and Jordan/Elefante. Butler/Jacobsen and Paetsch/Nuss were the silver and bronze Junior medalists at US Nationals, and the remaining Pair teams eligible to compete at the Junior level are getting thin.

Byrne/Bartholomay are almost certainly out of it, though. She is getting too big for him to lift safely, and their aborted lift in the SP took them completely out of the competition.

Tommy Steenberg is most likely out of the picture as far as the men go. There are just too many good Junior men still to skate (Oi, Mroz, Halverson, Dornbush). Should there be an opening in a later JGP, it will go to the man with the highest number of points. Steenberg's 5 points aren't likely to hold up.

In the ladies, Angela Maxwell still has a shot at another event. In Romania, we have two newbies: Chrissy Hughes and Carolyn Ann Alba (who replaced the injured Melissa Bulanhagui). Flatt and Musademba are JGP newbies too, but both are very strong skaters and tough competitors. Next are Rosenthal and Cannarozzo, who competed in the JGP last year. It is likely that Maxwell's bronze medal will outrank some of the weaker competitors.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The email does indicate, however, that other factors may be considered. I believe those include depth of field and the actual performance.
This is correct.

Based on my understanding of the policy, all the Lake Placid competitors are assured of second assignments *except* for the following: Angela Maxwell (3rd US finisher, though she medaled), Tommy Steenberg (below 4th), Paetsch/Nuss (below 4th), Byrne/Bartholomay (below 4th), and Bailey Herring (below 4th).
Normally a top 4 finish will lead to a second JGP assignment for the U.S. skaters, but there often is more flexibility in pairs and dance, and so I'm guessing that Paetsch/Nuss will likely receive a 2nd JGP. Angela Maxwell's bronze medal will very likely result in a 2nd JGP assignment as well.

Last edited:

Cal Girl

Rinkside
With regard to Bryne/Bartholomay. I do think they did a good job in their LP and although not deserving of a 2nd JGP I in no way think breaking up is the answer. She is taller but probably done growing and he needs to bulk up. They have worked a long time and obviously have a good relationship on the ice to have stayed together until now. Having Nate go get a smaller girl at this point is silly - they all grow. Some more than others. Look at Butler/Jacobsen, she is taller but they have a wonderful line and still can do the big tricks like 3twist and beautiful lifts. If Bryne/Bartholomay stay in it what they need to work on is getting levels in their lifts, spins, spirals, etc. But good for them for being good competitors and showing a much better LP.
As for Paetsch/Nuss they are lucky the field is not deep this year or they would be out of the JGP season. They had a poor showing in their LP but still showed great potential. They are deserving of a 2nd spot considering the lack of Junior age eligible pairs this year.
Butler and Jacobson did a great LP also but watered down their content to medal and it worked. Sometimes you have to play it safe. I hope they too get a well-deserved JGP. Have they switched to Angela? as their primary coach? Does she have pairs experience? I didnt think she did.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Butler and Jacobson did a great LP also but watered down their content to medal and it worked. Sometimes you have to play it safe. I hope they too get a well-deserved JGP. Have they switched to Angela? as their primary coach? Does she have pairs experience? I didnt think she did.

I heard she had a bad fall before the short programm in practice and it was worried they might have to withdraw. After already missing last years JGP due to injury. They had to withdraw after the short programm from the JGP in Norway.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice

double post. sorry