JGP # 1 Lake Placid | Page 6 | Golden Skate

JGP # 1 Lake Placid

persimmon

Rinkside
What a weak Jr. Ladies field. Apart from the American girls, it seems like there is no one. Mirai is still in a class of her own. Skate Canada (and Charlotte Belair) benefitted from the lack of depth in this event, they have been receiving mixed opinions to say the least about who what ladies they chose to send to JGPs, atleast now they have a girl with a top five finish. It's too bad about the singles skaters in Canada, the pairs and dance are really thriving! If only they could apply some of the methods used to build up the pairs and dance to the men and ladies. Oh well, at least we got a few medals! It's definitely an improvement over last year, maybe we'll have a few podium finishes at Jr. Worlds this year!:clap:

lfirus

Spectator
Patrick Chan did very well for Canada at Junior worlds last year! Andrei Rogozine is only 14 so his 7th place finish is pretty darn good too. I agree that the canadian ladies are struggling a bit though. I am happy that Charlotte belair skated a clean long that is a first in quite a while for our canadian girls.

netnuts

Match Penalty
You can replay everything on icenetworks....

Mirai's last lutz was downgraded to double.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
What a weak Jr. Ladies field. Apart from the American girls, it seems like there is no one. Mirai is still in a class of her own. Skate Canada (and Charlotte Belair) benefitted from the lack of depth in this event, they have been receiving mixed opinions to say the least about who what ladies they chose to send to JGPs, atleast now they have a girl with a top five finish. It's too bad about the singles skaters in Canada, the pairs and dance are really thriving! If only they could apply some of the methods used to build up the pairs and dance to the men and ladies. Oh well, at least we got a few medals! It's definitely an improvement over last year, maybe we'll have a few podium finishes at Jr. Worlds this year!:clap:

I didn't see Belair's program, so I can't judge her, but I agree that some of the JGP choices in the ladies division have been questionable. I also agree that while Canada is seeing depth in dance and pairs like never before right down to the Novice level, the singles events have become very weak. I don't know why. Senoir men's is a pretty strong field, but senior ladies os weak, as are both junior singles disciplines. Maybe its just a price we have to pay. Canada had unbelievable depth in men's skating for so long with Orser, Browning, Stojko and even Buttle a few years ago, but hardly ever had sucess in pairs or dance. Yes, we've had some great pairs teams, but we they were never podium finishers for a string of years like the men. Dance was even worse. With the exception of Bourne and Kraatz and Wilson and McCall in the 80's, we hardly ever won medals. now dance is our strongest discipline, even in the junior division. Our top junior team (Crone and Poirier) were not at this event, remember. I just hope that we can develop our singles programs so that we can be contenders across the board. Congratulations to all of the dancers and pairs, though. What a wonderful job they've been doing.:rock:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Patrick Chan did very well for Canada at Junior worlds last year! Andrei Rogozine is only 14 so his 7th place finish is pretty darn good too. I agree that the canadian ladies are struggling a bit though. I am happy that Charlotte belair skated a clean long that is a first in quite a while for our canadian girls.

I know that Belair had a wonderful performance here, and that both Canadian men were just out of novice and did really well. I have tons of respect for all of them, and I didn't mean to put down their performance at all in my previous post. I just meant to say that overall the men (at the Jr. level) and the ladies are weaker than the other disciplines in Canada. Jr men is only weak now because Chan, Reynolds, and Russell are all seniors this year, and there are no me ready to fill the void just yet, except maybe Jeremy Ten.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that Belair had a wonderful performance here, and that both Canadian men were just out of novice and did really well. I have tons of respect for all of them, and I didn't mean to put down their performance at all in my previous post. I just meant to say that overall the men (at the Jr. level) and the ladies are weaker than the other disciplines in Canada. Jr men is only weak now because Chan, Reynolds, and Russell are all seniors this year, and there are no me ready to fill the void just yet, except maybe Jeremy Ten.

I don't see how you can call Charlotte Belair's performance 'wonderful', and her FS was far from clean. She popped her opening 3Z attempt, and landed only two triples. All but 3 of the 12 elements in her FS got -GOE, and those three got 0 GOE (a 2S, her spiral sequence, and her level1 step sequence). Charlotte was slow and her performance was notably lacking in personality and verve. She wasn't awful, but she wasn't nearly as appealing as some of the skaters who finished behind her.

As another poster noted, she finished 4th in this competition because she was the 'best of the rest'. She was more than 13 points behind the 3rd place finisher, Angela Maxwell.

Maybe she will do better in her next JGP appearance. But the competition is only going to get tougher as the season goes on.

BTW, Angela Maxwell and Armin Mahbanoozadeh are also just up from Novice (they were the 2007 US Novice Champions).

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Me, I am very happy how the german Team did. for all 3 skaters it was their first ever JGP and compared to last season they have improved a lot.

I really hope that Isabel Heitges is going to focus more time on her PCSs. She has the tripples but now she really needs to work on the rest. Her skating seemed very slow and stiff.

:rock: For Chris Berneck. I can't wait to see how he does in Zagreb :rock:

You can replay everything on icenetworks....

I was a subscriber last year and to go back and want to see a repeat of a favorite skater or look for something else, one had to go back to the beginning of the championship. If you wanted just to see the 12th skater, you had to watch or wait for 11 others to finish that you already have seen, and was not interested seeing again.

I would hope they allow one to click on a particular skater in their On Demand mode. I prefer watching icenetwork over youtube. It's clearer.

Joe

clara

Spectator
Could some kind soul please post the results along with the elements that the top 5 ladies did? I was sleeping when the competition was going on.

Why do I have to live on the opposite side of the globe

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

netnuts

Match Penalty
I was a subscriber last year and to go back and want to see a repeat of a favorite skater or look for something else, one had to go back to the beginning of the championship. If you wanted just to see the 12th skater, you had to watch or wait for 11 others to finish that you already have seen, and was not interested seeing again.

I would hope they allow one to click on a particular skater in their On Demand mode. I prefer watching icenetwork over youtube. It's clearer.

Joe

No. You don't need to wait for 11 others. You can drag the 'progress' button to where you want. It's not precise, but you can do that. I just figured it out.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Could some kind soul please post the results along with the elements that the top 5 ladies did? I was sleeping when the competition was going on.

Why do I have to live on the opposite side of the globe

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Go check ISU site, the protocols are out.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I don't see how you can call Charlotte Belair's performance 'wonderful', and her FS was far from clean. She popped her opening 3Z attempt, and landed only two triples. All but 3 of the 12 elements in her FS got -GOE, and those three got 0 GOE (a 2S, her spiral sequence, and her level1 step sequence). Charlotte was slow and her performance was notably lacking in personality and verve. She wasn't awful, but she wasn't nearly as appealing as some of the skaters who finished behind her.

As another poster noted, she finished 4th in this competition because she was the 'best of the rest'. She was more than 13 points behind the 3rd place finisher, Angela Maxwell.

Maybe she will do better in her next JGP appearance. But the competition is only going to get tougher as the season goes on.

BTW, Angela Maxwell and Armin Mahbanoozadeh are also just up from Novice (they were the 2007 US Novice Champions).

I didn't mean to imply that she was clean in any way, just that given the fact that the Canadian ladies field is fairly weak rignt now, and that this was her first ever JGP, beign able to come from sixth in the short and finish fourth overall was admirable. Perhaps I did sound a little too enthusiastic. I also realize that the fact that out two men just oved up from novice is no excuse for their subpar performances, but I don't think they should be criticized for having problems their first time out either. I did mention later in that post that the level of men's skating in the junior ranks is not what it once was. As for skaters coming up out of novice, Canada's novice dance champions placed fourth here in their first ever international. They came from seventh on the CD with a bad slip (he tripped and stepped on her foot) to third in the OD with a wonderful performance and fourth in the FD. That's a pretty fantastic result if you ask me. They may not have made the podium like the America novice singles skates did, but it's much more unlikely to make that kind of leap in dance. I don't mean to say that what those american skates did wasn't amazing, just that there is depth in Canada as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Charlotte Belair "moved up" from 6th to 4th because the two skaters who had been ahead of her after the SP had more mistakes than Belair did. The gap between Belair and Maxwell after the SP (5.67 points) widened to 13.31 after the FS, so it's not as if Belair made significant gains with her FS.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Charlotte Belair "moved up" from 6th to 4th because the two skaters who had been ahead of her after the SP had more mistakes than Belair did. The gap between Belair and Maxwell after the SP (5.67 points) widened to 13.31 after the FS, so it's not as if Belair made significant gains with her FS.

Regardless, good for her. She had a decent result. Angela Maxwell was nowhere near clean in either programs and she won a medal. I'll assume that this is because she executed more technical content and was a better performer. Either way, congratulations to all the medalists and all pf the skaters.:clap:

Caroline

Spectator
I think I read somewhere that USFSA dishes out the rest of its JGP spots based on how skaters do at their first event - does this mean Tommy might not get another one? :-/