Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: JGP # 1 Lake Placid

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Tommy is in a slump. Everyone he has competed against have moved a head of him. He needs a shrink and a good jump coach specializing in landings.
    I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion yet. At least the first sentance. It's the first of the season. Sure he's going to be a little rough. Who wouldn't? Okay, maybe I'd better not ask that. I have a feeling I'm going to get half a dozen "well so and so's not..." responses. So Tommy didn't have a huge comp right out of the gate. If you look at the reports from last year, he did great at the first of the season then "was in a slump, was worn out, etc" towards Nats. Who knows? This may be the right thing for him. The only "problem" I see is people see what he did this time last year and expect him to repeat it automatically this year.

So I go ahead. Have at it.

Banned
    Just finished watching pairs long program. The level of international Jr. pairs competition is pretty awful. The champions did not even try any throw triple. Actually two pairs out of the last group did not attempt throw triples.

The most difficult sbs jump those pairs managed to land was a 2A. No sbs triples.

Rarely you saw triple twists.

Russia is in a deep hole.

We'll have to wait and see how the young Chinese teams will fare in Estonia...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by netnuts View Post
    Just finished watching pairs long program. The level of international Jr. pairs competition is pretty awful. The champions did not even try any throw triple. Actually two pairs out of the last group did not attempt throw triples.

The most difficult sbs jump those pairs managed to land was a 2A. No sbs triples.

Rarely you saw triple twists.

We'll have to wait and see how the young Chinese teams will fare in Estonia...

I agree that technical difficulty was lacking a bit here. I believe that Jones/Jackson and some of the other teams in the final group have triples, but either were unable to complete them here or opted not to. Were MacCuish/Evans the only team to land a throw triple? My internet connection is slow, so the icenetwork audio and video stops sometimes and I don't get to catch everything. I also believe that McCoy/VanCleave were the only team to attempt a 3 twist. Anyhow, great job by the Canadian pairs to finish 1st and 2nd. That's the best result anyone could have hoped for in the first event of the season. Congratz to the Canadian dancers as well. 2nd and 4th is great, especially since this is Ralph/Hill's very first major competition an juniors. Great day again for Canada. Also a nice dance by Samuelson/Bates.

Custom Title
    I disagree.Two Russian teams, Krasilnikova/Bezmaternikh and Bazarova/Larionov, are arguably the top two returning teams in the junior circle. The former are two-time World Junior bronze medalists and were second at the JGPF. Bazarova and Larionov made the JGPF and are the World Junior silver medallists. Both teams have two different throw triples - salchow and loop - and a triple twist. B/L in particular have lovely lines and a nice balletic quality to their programs.

edit: I might be wrong, but I think these two teams were the only ones to beat McLaughlin/Brubaker at any portion of an event last year. K/B at the free skate at the Junior Grand Prix final and B/L in the short at the event in Taiwan.

Clearly, the team that just competed isn't as advanced technically, but they still managed to hang on to a bronze medal. Russia will probably never have the same level of dominance in the pairs level they had before, but I wouldn't say they're in a deep hole. I think they still definitely have some junior-level talent that could do very well in the future.

Finally, congrats to all the medalists!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I
    Clearly, the team that just competed isn't as advanced technically, but they still managed to hang on to a bronze medal. Russia will probably never have the same level of dominance in the pairs level they had before, but I wouldn't say they're in a deep hole. I think they still definitely have some junior-level talent that could do very well in the future.

Finally, congrats to all the medalists!
    Those two Russian teams are really not on par with their usual standard. Maybe they have stronger teams at other stops.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Were MacCuish/Evans the only team to land a throw triple?
    Paetsch/Nuss had a gorgeous throw 3salchow -- GOEs up to +2.

Imaikina/Novoselov and Byrne/Bartholomay had minor errors (hand down) on their throw triples.

I also believe that McCoy/VanCleave were the only team to attempt a 3 twist.
    Butler/Jacobson attempted but got negative GOEs. Same with Paetsch/Nuss although some GOEs were 0, as for McCoy/VanCleave.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpusa2..._FS_Scores.pdf

Custom Title
    Those two Russian teams are really not on par with their usual standard. Maybe they have stronger teams at other stops.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. There are other talented Russian teams who are not at Lake Placid.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Paetsch/Nuss had a gorgeous throw 3salchow -- GOEs up to +2.

Imaikina/Novoselov and Byrne/Bartholomay had minor errors (hand down) on their throw triples.

Butler/Jacobson attempted but got negative GOEs. Same with Paetsch/Nuss although some GOEs were 0, as for McCoy/VanCleave.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpusa2..._FS_Scores.pdf
    Thanks. Like I said, my internet connection is awful, so I missed a lot with the choppy audio and video quality. I was actually happy when it cleared up slightly for part of the ice dance competition and I was able to watch some of the programs with decent quality. Anyways, I stand corrected lol. Congratulations to Charlotte Belair for moving up to fourth and the US women's team for sweeping the podium. Good for them.

Dance - I thought Samuelson and Bates did well. They look, however to me, like an excellent Junior dance team. Hope they remain in Juniors for another year.

Pairs - I must have got my times all mixed up and when i cam back from lunch with friends, the pairs were finished. I presume most of these will be ON DEMAND so I can watch them another day.

Ladies - I reiterate a solo triiple loop is a very difficult jump!
    At Junior level, one has to see a spark of blossoming into Seniors. Very few of these gals had that spark.

Unfortunately for me, my computer went dud on Mirai and I missed her entire skate. I hope they have that ON DEMAND, too.
    Miss Gilles, for me, is much too cautious in her skating. She needs to develop confidence in her self. Miss Maxwell is becoming my favorite American Bravura Skater. She stops at nothing but attacks every element to show off her technique at high speed. If and when she skates clean, she will be up there with the best of them. Those lyrical skaters get tiresome after a while and a good bravura skater is a welcome change of pace.

Joe

I really enjoyed Mirai's program. It was fun and starting with a spiral sequence was a welcome and nice change. I also enjoyed Alexe and Angela's programs. I think both will get better as the season goes on. Even with their mistakes it was clear the American girls were in a class of their own. I wasn't very impressed by the rest of the skaters.

Congratulations to all the medalists!

Tripping on the Podium
    What a weak Jr. Ladies field. Apart from the American girls, it seems like there is no one. Mirai is still in a class of her own. Skate Canada (and Charlotte Belair) benefitted from the lack of depth in this event, they have been receiving mixed opinions to say the least about who what ladies they chose to send to JGPs, atleast now they have a girl with a top five finish. It's too bad about the singles skaters in Canada, the pairs and dance are really thriving! If only they could apply some of the methods used to build up the pairs and dance to the men and ladies. Oh well, at least we got a few medals! It's definitely an improvement over last year, maybe we'll have a few podium finishes at Jr. Worlds this year!

Rinkside
    Patrick Chan did very well for Canada at Junior worlds last year! Andrei Rogozine is only 14 so his 7th place finish is pretty darn good too. I agree that the canadian ladies are struggling a bit though. I am happy that Charlotte belair skated a clean long that is a first in quite a while for our canadian girls.

Thanks for joining us, Ifirus. Welcome!

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    mirai's SP is already in youtube.

Banned
    You can replay everything on icenetworks....

Mirai's last lutz was downgraded to double.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast