News, views & results from Skate Detroit 2007 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

News, views & results from Skate Detroit 2007

Mysticchic

Rinkside
I've been reliably informed that Megan Oster is currently dealing with a medical condition that will hopefully be resolved in the near future. As of now, she is planning to compete next at the DuPage Open near Chicago in mid-August.

Last edited:

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Would Lysacek's triple Axel be an example of this?

He doesn't take off from a back inside edge. It's still a forward outside edge. I don't think I've ever seen a 3Axel off a back inside edge.

People who pre-rotate their Axel's a half-turn (or close to it) are skidding through a counter turn, not a 3-turn. It's possible to change to the back inside edge (3-turn) but that would only really work for a Single Axel. I can't imagine people using that technique and being able to learn Triple Axels. That doesn't make it a Salchow, either. Salchows start pre-rotating from the back inside edge, with the free leg being pushed through at the same time. With this wonky back-inside edge Axel, the free leg is already pushed through and you're jumping right off that edge. Different mechanic...a rather disastrous one.

I've been reliably informed that Megan Oster is currently dealing with a medical condition that will hopefully be resolved in the near future. As of now, she is planning to compete next at the DuPage Open near Chicago in mid-August.
ugh:cry::disapp::cry::disapp:
Joe

There is a jump which takes off on a forward inside edge. It's been outlawed by the CoP.

Lysacek's strange axel was from 1/2 turn on the ice and appeared to be like a toe off. Nothing to do with a forward inside edge.
Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
There is a jump which takes off on a forward inside edge. It's been outlawed by the CoP.

From the opposite foot as the usual axel takeoff. It's called an inside axel. It's not outlawed (it's not an illegal element) -- it just doesn't have a point value and therefore is considered a transition, so for many skaters the reward may not be commensurate with the difficulty. Especially if one were to add a revolution.

Of course, we do see plenty of single walleys, in both directions even, as connecting moves.

Here's Julie Lynn Holmes at 1969 Worlds doing an inside axel at about the 3:40 point in the video. Sure looks like a double to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNP6VaJZzE0

emma

Record Breaker
Just wanted to say THANKS for the reports and the video links!!! So, so appreciated and very wonderful!

Sorry about putting 2 on one video. Here are the links to the right ones. After taping for 3 days and editting, these old eyes kinda had it last night. Enjoy!

Grant Hochstein 1st in SP and FS 1st overall
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpSIPbv5R3Q

William Nottingham Jr Men's fs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=B5I8ORxgBjY

Dane Carter FS
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LovdCakfEXc
Thanks Mysti chic- That Grant Hochstein is quite good. Lots of flow and so musical! Is he Canadian and is there some background on him?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
That Grant Hochstein is quite good. Lots of flow and so musical!
He's worked very hard to improve the "musical" side of his skating these past few years while overcoming injury. His 2 stellar performances in Detroit were definitely a highlight of the entire competition for me!

Mysticchic

Rinkside
Mine to. Dan Hollander and his possey was sitting right in front of us and they gave him a standing O.

I can't imagine it because it wouldn't happen. If a skater took off on a FORWARD inside edge, rotated 3 times in the air, then they would land on a FORWARD edge.
Check out Mao's LP, she did a small foot work sequence leading up to a chocktaw into a 3A. Nothing wrong with that, but many skaters are quite agile and cat-like. I think another skater could do the same sequence leading up to a mohawk (accidently) into a 3A because of agility and strength of purpose. We've seen many skaters fight 'off balances' and land correctly.

Joe

ElFuego

Rinkside
Check out Mao's LP, she did a small foot work sequence leading up to a chocktaw into a 3A. Nothing wrong with that, but many skaters are quite agile and cat-like. I think another skater could do the same sequence leading up to a mohawk (accidently) into a 3A because of agility and strength of purpose. We've seen many skaters fight 'off balances' and land correctly.

Actually, I think she did (at Skate America) steps to a back outside mohawk (meaning she stepped from a back outside edge to a forward outside edge), but it's hard to tell from the angle of the camera what the final backward edge was. You're right, it could have been a choctaw (meaning she stepped from a back inside edge to a forward outside edge), but in either case, her take-off edge was a forward outside edge.

At Worlds, she changed the entry to a series of brackets, then stepped forward onto the forward outside edge.

My point though, was that since an triple axel is three and a half rotations, if a skater only rotated three times, they would land facing forward, not backward, and it would not count as a triple.