Oda stopped for DUI | Golden Skate

Oda stopped for DUI

bronxgirl

Medalist
and if he had hit someone while driving that moped? it's till can cause injuries and he still had a lapse in judgement.

Lumi

On the Ice
Had hit someone? 0.3 is almost nothing. I don't notice if I am that "drunk". They make too big deal out of it.

rutinia

Match Penalty
Strangely THIS was today's headline news in Japan.
He's not a politicial or a showbiz celebrity, just the no.2 male figure skater.
Maybe it was so peaceful today.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well, he wouldn't be the 1st skater to get pulled over for drunk driving. I really hope that the Japanese federation don't penalize him for his actions. It was just a slip up.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
But seriously, what he's done, wouldn't probably have been considered illegal, in my country (but it depends on for how long one has his d.l.). That public humiliation of Oda is, IMO, 5x worse than the said 0.3. I felt very uncomfortable watching that vid where he cries and apologizes. Gotta be some cultural thing, yeah :disagree:

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Yes, I think he's expressing the whole "shame" thing. Heard there was even a press conference, covered by all the major networks in Japan, complete with tears.

His blood alcohol level would definitely NOT have been a DUI in many countries, including the US and if this incident happened pre-Shizuka Olympic champion...it probably wouldn't have even made the news.

God I can't believe how things get overblown in this world. My city is filled with murderers who keep getting off on technicalities while a figure skater - on a freakin' moped no less - with a quite low blood alcohol level makes NATIONAL HEADLINES. Ridiculous. Yes, if he broke the law then administer the usual punishment, but the media frenzy on this is more reckless than his act.

Last edited:
Accidents will happen but when they are caused by drinking alcohol, can't help but think an accident could have been prevented without alcohol.

Nobunari has such an angelic face, it's hard to believe he was drunk.

Glad to know it is not la malaise ameriquenne which is reserved for young American actors.

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
A DUI does NOT mean you were drunk. It can range from "impaired" to absolutely NO discernible impairment, but that you have exceeded the blood-alchohol limit.

z4mboni

Rinkside
Had hit someone? 0.3 is almost nothing. I don't notice if I am that "drunk". They make too big deal out of it.

I agree, but that's the Japanese media for you. :(

Poor kid. He issued a nation-wide apology today and nearly cried himself sick.
http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3620359.html

I sure was sick watching it. They didn't made that much a fuss during the freud scandal in JSF, but a kid being silly and not careful enough makes the headlines? Looking at the news clip, one might think that he got completely smashed and run over a kindergarten trip, not that he drank 2 beers, at the sauna nonetheless, waited for the effects to wear off and misjudged the time it takes.
A law is a law, and if he has to pay a fine/have points taken away, it's natural. There is no worse punishment for him that the guilt he feels. But what the JSF and media doing is just sick (and stupid, as they are shooting themselves in the knee). I really hope that this won't influence Nobu's appearance at hif GP events. :cry:

Nobunari has such an angelic face, it's hard to believe he was drunk.

He was not drunk, he was under influence.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

He was not drunk, he was under influence.

Does anyone know if it appears that his driving his moped was actually influenced, or, was it more a violation of a "per se" statute (i.e., alcohol level over a pre set limit is deemed `under the influence' whether it actually affects your behavior or not)

z4mboni;257323He was not [U said:
drunk[/U], he was under influence.
Oh the semantics of it all!!

Didn't we go through this before with Yagudin and all his fans said he didn't hit anyone. So I suppose there is no need to warn a dui driver?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree, Joe. Just because no damage was done and he wasn't 'over another country's limit' doesn't mean it's right.

I personally feel if you have just one alchoholic beverage you shouldn't drive. period. moped, hot rod, compact car, hummer... doesn't matter. don't do it.

gio

Medalist
I think that if you drink, it's better not to drive. Points have to be taken off the drivin card of Oda. But other than this penality, no. The punishment by the JSF is ridiculous! I'm so sorry for Oda, even if he has made a mistake!

If you drink, take a bus with your friends, it's more responsible and you will have more fun.