No Canadian TV Deal For Worlds? | Golden Skate

No Canadian TV Deal For Worlds?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
This sucks :(

Sometimes life really bites the big one.

Well, if they don't find a way to air the 2008 Worlds in Sweden in U.S. and/or Canada, Figure Skating is going to plummet real quick in terms of fans.

Shocking. I didn't expect this from Canada.

I don't think NBC is involved with competitions outside of the US and I think the contract with ESPN terminates with the Grand Prix Final. Not sure, though.

I have not heard anything from Ice NetWork. What they will show? What they will charge? It may be our only sources of international skating till the Olys.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
US Fans (with cable) will get coverage of 2008 Worlds on ESPN. After that, who knows. I'm kinda surprised that Canadian TV networks aren't willing to sign on, either. That means there's seriously something wrong with the proposals being made by the ISU. They've priced themselves out it seems.

However, looks like each of us will see the local GP event and Nationals coverage on regular TV. So skating's not COMPLETELY dead like some are claiming.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have not heard anything from Ice NetWork. What they will show? What they will charge? It may be our only sources of international skating till the Olys.

If you check icenetwork.com, it says they've extended subscriptions for the past season to August 31. So we may not know until September the exact details of who's covering what.

Can the Ice network sign a separate contract to take on the ISU events? I thought it was a USFS entity (i.e. it's part of USFS, not separate from USFS).

I hardly think we'd be left without any Worlds coverage. Someone will probably work something out (i.e. streaming coverage on the net).

My cup is half empty. US competitions only? I'm not satisfied.

Ice Network news hasn't said anything since that last announcement about August 31st!!! Big deal nothing is going on in August anyway.

We are not going to see ALL of Skate America in October on NBC - just the pieces they seem that will aid the ratings for the Olys. I want to know if iceNetwork will show what NBC doesn't. Not what NBC says but what IceNework does.

Hopefully, Ice NetWorks give us some Jr. GPs.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If IceNetwork doesn't have a contract with the ISU, which they may not be able to seeing as how they could be considered competition for the tv networks that have contracts now, then it can't happen no matter how many want them to show it.

Lanie

On the Ice
Seems lilke the ISU's deal is something like 4mil for rights--but I am not sure if it is just Worlds, or what, but obviously it's too much money.

But to keep things in perspective -- is there any Olympic sport that commands prime time network TV coverage of its World Championships? Alpine skiing? Track and Field? Kayaking?

We can always want more, but in the U.S., live prime time coverage of Nationals and Skate America keeps figure skating in its place as one of the premier sports. There is no network coverage of national championships at all in gynmastics, swimming, diving, the 100 meter high hurdles,...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Frankly speaking, I don't believe that Canada would not show the Worlds figure skating championships - especially since Vancouver/Whistler BC will be hosting the Olympics in 2010 which is fast approaching. Besides there are too many figure skating fans and figure skaters period in Canada to let this happen. I am sure one of our networks will come through. I will email Debbie Wilkes to see if there is any truth to this rumour.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
But to keep things in perspective -- is there any Olympic sport that commands prime time network TV coverage of its World Championships? Alpine skiing? Track and Field? Kayaking?

We can always want more, but in the U.S., live prime time coverage of Nationals and Skate America keeps figure skating in its place as one of the premier sports. There is no network coverage of national championships at all in gynmastics, swimming, diving, the 100 meter high hurdles,...

Which is really sad. For whatever reason, only sports where guys tackle each other and/or play with balls are allowed to be respected.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lad - I'm under the impression this isn't a rumor but a standing fact at this point...

If IceNetwork doesn't have a contract with the ISU, which they may not be able to seeing as how they could be considered competition for the tv networks that have contracts now, then it can't happen no matter how many want them to show it.
Good point, Toni - When I think about it, only the USFS is saying that Ice NetWork will cover the 'rest' of the competitions. It could mean only those competitions actually taking place in the US. It's the ISU that has the hold on international comps. What happens when an international competition like the Worlds 2009 is held in the US? Will it be televised??

And what role exactly is IceNetwork going to play in all this (especially after August 31)?

Joe

Not true. I've seen Nationals of Gymnastics, Swimming and Diving as well as Track and Field events on TV in NYC. Maybe these are not considered worthy as NASCAR is in the hinterlands? ;)

Joe

waxel

Final Flight
This just proves again how out of touch with reality Speedy is. Why does the ISU support him so vigorously? Isn't it obvious that something is wrong since they're about to lose TV coverage in two of their largest markets??????

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I wonder if WCSN will take in Figure Skating. Their gymnastics coverage is amazing with LIVE coverage especially during the World Championships.

You can check their website at www.wcsn.com

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is no network coverage of national championships at all in gynmastics, swimming, diving, the 100 meter high hurdles,...

Actually, there is. NBC had some track and field on the other day...now they're showing volleyball tourneys. I've also seen swimming, triathlon and gymastics on before. The only difference is that the FS national championships gets prime-time coverage while the others are typically shown only on quiet weekend afternoons.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What happens when an international competition like the Worlds 2009 is held in the US? Will it be televised??

That something I've been wondering as well....

if skating does go to only internet broadcast I am out of luck entirely. I'm still in the dark ages with dial up :(