Mao has REALLY improved in the expression dept. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao has REALLY improved in the expression dept.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I LOVE Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet, yet i feel that perhaps she shoul have used it for her Long, there is so much good music to cram into 2:50 minuites.

But good job Mao!!!!!

on second thought i though we already knew her SP music... the volin and orchestra one............ i thought that her LP was yet to be announced....maybe i am just scatterbrained today.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I LOVE Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet, yet i feel that perhaps she shoul have used it for her Long, there is so much good music to cram into 2:50 minuites.

But good job Mao!!!!!

on second thought i though we already knew her SP music... the volin and orchestra one............ i thought that her LP was yet to be announced....maybe i am just scatterbrained today.

Yea...that is her sp music...the article states that, but it also mentions the music for her lp...

"Mao, who turns 17 next month, said that she had not had much of an opportunity to work on her free program (Chopin's "Fantaisie Impromptu"), so it was difficult to pinpoint exactly what she wanted to highlight."

christinaskater

Medalist
I could clearly see the influence of Tarasova in her skating now, the way i saw in Sasha and Shizuka! I love Mao's artistry now! More flair in the facial expressions in something to be desired, but the body flow and artistry/danceability/balleticism is definitely there! Really great!

Vancouver is shaping up to be one amazing event!

Caroline Zhang
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Miki Ando
Mirai Nagasu!

WOW!

yuriko

Rinkside
She has resumed ballet lessons to improve her artistry. I heard that she thought of her dog to better connect to this gala music:)

But I actually feel that she had great artistry last season as well. Chopin SP was fantastic. Her posture and positions have always been exquisite. Her arms have always been graceful. She has always hit every note of her SP music very well. Although she had some flaws in her LP in the early season, her LP in Worlds was perfect. Although the LP music might not be the greatest fit with her style, she looked like a fairy in her SP. It was a masterpiece.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Vancouver is shaping up to be one amazing event!

Caroline Zhang
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Miki Ando
Mirai Nagasu!

WOW!

Marai and Nagasu will both be too young to go to worlds this year. even if the either of them wins nationals....

passion

On the Ice
She has resumed ballet lessons to improve her artistry. I heard that she thought of her dog to better connect to this gala music:)

But I actually feel that she had great artistry last season as well. Chopin SP was fantastic. Her posture and positions have always been exquisite. Her arms have always been graceful. She has always hit every note of her SP music very well. Although she had some flaws in her LP in the early season, her LP in Worlds was perfect. Although the LP music might not be the greatest fit with her style, she looked like a fairy in her SP. It was a masterpiece.

ITA with your comment about the Chopin SP! It was a masterpiece!

Kypma

Final Flight
Marai and Nagasu will both be too young to go to worlds this year. even if the either of them wins nationals....

Worlds this year will be in Götheberg (sp?). Vancouver normally refers to the Olympic in 2010, at which point Mirai Nagasu (Mirai and Nagasu are the same person :p) and Caroline Zhang will be eligible for senior competition ;)

Kypma

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Worlds this year will be in Götheberg (sp?). Vancouver normally refers to the Olympic in 2010, at which point Mirai Nagasu (Mirai and Nagasu are the same person :p) and Caroline Zhang will be eligible for senior competition ;)

Kypma

lol!!:rofl: i don't know where my head was when i posted that! I meant Mirai and Caroline of course.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love everything about Mao's skating

I was always for Yu-Na but now after seeing her skate like that, this girl has the artistry and movement ive always wanted to see from her now.

I don't understand why she is taking ballet lessons. If she aways had great artistry and graceful arms and then with her exquisite posture and positions, what are ballet lessons going to do for her? She did need turn out in the knees and toe pointing and ballet barre will get you that after a number of years.

Bielman spins are not in the ballet repertoire. They are in Cirque du Soleil.

What she has gotten is better stroking, glide on the ice, and the beginnings of character in her skating. However, she already has high level elements, particularly jumps in her arsenal so being numero uno at this point in time is formidable.

Joe

yuriko

Rinkside
I don't understand why she is taking ballet lessons. If she aways had great artistry and graceful arms and then with her exquisite posture and positions, what are ballet lessons going to do for her? She did need turn out in the knees and toe pointing and ballet barre will get you that after a number of years.

Bielman spins are not in the ballet repertoire. They are in Cirque du Soleil.

What she has gotten is better stroking, glide on the ice, and the beginnings of character in her skating. However, she already has high level elements, particularly jumps in her arsenal so being numero uno at this point in time is formidable.

Joe

Mao practiced ballet for a number of years when she was younger and was pretty good at it (I saw some videos).

Joe, I have always thought her having great artistry, which is my opinion, not Mao's.

But Mao said in the beginning of the season that she would like to resume ballet to move more beautifully; and she has resumed it. If you feel strongly against that, you need to directly talk to her.

I am afraid that I did not mention anything about Biellman Spin in my previous post you were responding to, either.

I also said that she thought of her dog to better connect to the music, which I did not attribute to her ballet lessons, either.

Last edited:
Mao practiced ballet for a number of years when she was younger and was pretty good at it (I saw some videos).

Joe, I have always thought her having great artistry, which is my opinion, not Mao's.

But Mao said in the beginning of the season that she would like to resume ballet to move more beautifully; and she has resumed it. If you feel strongly against that, you need to directly talk to her.

I am afraid that I did not mention anything about Biellman Spin in my previous post you were responding to, either.

I also said that she thought of her dog to better connect to the music, which I did not attribute to her ballet lessons, either.
Yuriko - I was not trying to put down Mao. I consider her the top Lady skater in the World today, and I wish her well. You have to understand, Sasha Cohen who has been repeatidly mentioned in this Forum, as a ballerina on ice. She never studied ballet!! She learned stretching from Gymnastics.

If you go to take lessons from an Acrobatic Instructor, you will be stretched from one end of your body to the other including knee turnouts and toes pointing. Ballet dancers, Modern dancers, Tap dancers, Jazz dancers, and figure skaters all take acrobatics to be able to execute the tricks which are asssociated with their field of endeavour.

If Mao wishes to continue her performance by studing ballet with much of the Europlean music (waltzes, mazurkas, czardas.etc.) it will help but so will other forms of dance do that. Ballet is not conclusive, and one must, like Lambiel, study Flamenco and other Spanish dancers for interpreting that music.

A figure skater has to put oneself into Lori's or David's choreography, and not rely on that's all there is.

Joe

yuriko

Rinkside
Yuriko - I was not trying to put down Mao. I consider her the top Lady skater in the World today, and I wish her well. You have to understand, Sasha Cohen who has been repeatidly mentioned in this Forum, as a ballerina on ice. She never studied ballet!! She learned stretching from Gymnastics.

If you go to take lessons from an Acrobatic Instructor, you will be stretched from one end of your body to the other including knee turnouts and toes pointing. Ballet dancers, Modern dancers, Tap dancers, Jazz dancers, and figure skaters all take acrobatics to be able to execute the tricks which are asssociated with their field of endeavour.

If Mao wishes to continue her performance by studing ballet with much of the Europlean music (waltzes, mazurkas, czardas.etc.) it will help but so will other forms of dance do that. Ballet is not conclusive, and one must, like Lambiel, study Flamenco and other Spanish dancers for interpreting that music.

A figure skater has to put oneself into Lori's or David's choreography, and not rely on that's all there is.

Joe

I did not think that you put down Mao. Thank you for your concern. But I just felt that the conversation went wrong when a person responds to the other person for what the other person did not even say. In my original post, I did not say that ballet is conclusive, either. I just only said that she had resumed ballet. I do not know if Mao herself thinks that ballet is conclusive. I did not say anything to imply that, either.

I did not think that you put down Mao. Thank you for your concern. But I just felt that the conversation went wrong when a person responds to the other person for what the other person did not even say. In my original post, I did not say that ballet is conclusive, either. I just only said that she had resumed ballet. I do not know if Mao herself thinks that ballet is conclusive. I did not say anything to imply that, either.
A thousand pardons, please. I admit I was wrong to think that information on Mao is not up for discussion.