Sasha to headline Stars on Ice | Golden Skate

Sasha to headline Stars on Ice

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
I think it means she is trying to stay in shape for the 2008-2009 competitive season.

And make money.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks! I'm very glad to know that Sasha will be skating full time for the 2007/08 SOI tour. :party: :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well.... I never really heard of any Stars on Ice skater who went back to competeive skating. I hope that sasha will be an exception. I still dream of her return. :love:

OT -- Speaking of Smucker's Stars on Ice, I read that the Madison Avenue icon Lois Wyse, who came up with the slogan, "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good!" died earlier this month at age 80.

I can picture her sitting up working on the account in the wee hours of the night, rejecting one Limerick after another, until finally she hit on that stroke of genius. :laugh:

Ms. Wyse was a pioneer for women in the advertising business. She also scored big when an unknown company named "Bed and Bath" hired her to do their advertising. She changed the name to "Bed, Bath...and Beyond" -- and the rest is history. :agree:

Sasha is a perfect fit for SOI. Good for her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
OT -- Speaking of Smucker's Stars on Ice, I read that the Madison Avenue icon Lois Wyse, who came up with the slogan, "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good!" died earlier this month at age 80.

I can picture her sitting up working on the account in the wee hours of the night, rejecting one Limerick after another, until finally she hit on that stroke of genius. :laugh:

Ms. Wyse was a pioneer for women in the advertising business. She also scored big when an unknown company named "Bed and Bath" hired her to do their advertising. She changed the name to "Bed, Bath...and Beyond" -- and the rest is history. :agree:

Sasha is a perfect fit for SOI. Good for her.

Thanks for the mini history lesson regarding Lois Wyse. I agree Sasha is a perfect fit for SOI.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Will she still do the COI tour as well? Can she?

COI is in usually in the summer, SOI is in the winter. She could do them both if she chosses, but COI is for skaters who are currently competing isn't it?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Woo Hoo!!! I think she'll be great in SOI rather than jumbled in with everyone else on COI. Now, I enjoy COI, but my heart is with SOI!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
COI is in usually in the summer, SOI is in the winter. She could do them both if she chosses, but COI is for skaters who are currently competing isn't it?

COI has a good portion of skaters who are not currently competing -- Shizuka Arakawa; Victor Petrenko; and Rudy Galindo are only a few. The only issue is whether SOI put an "exclusivity" clause in her contract. Since Sasha has mentioned wanting to return for a run at Vancouver Olys (and staying in the good graces of the USFS by doing cheesefests) and since it is only a one year contract (which would permit such a return if she so desired) I would doubt that she accepted such a clause.

nubka

Final Flight
What great news! I hope SOI comes to Salt Lake City (but I'm not holding my breath...) I hope Sasha will be in good shape and hopefully doing a bit more jumping.

This is really good news for Sasha. I think it must let her know that acting should be put aside while she garners some well deserved praise for her skating abilities. Her SPs have always been stunning as well as her short show skates.

Big Question: Do you think she has the temperment to work in ensemble numbers?

And Yes, it will keep her in shape, and yes I believe she will want to be in LaLa Land for the Worlds in 2009. I presume she will still be eligible.

(btw, Bratz is opening up soon in NYC. Hasn't she got a cameo in this?)

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
This is what SOI has been waiting for a long time - to sign Sasha Cohen.

She is just one of the shots in the arm that tour needs. Plus, she is so flexible it will probably be amazing what she'll be able to do in the group numbers - I would imagine something quite unique.

I still think there's a chance Sasha will come back and compete the Vancouver season - I think we'll see lots of surprises that season. ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
Will Jamie and David be touring with SOI US this year? I can't remember when baby is due.

skamper23

Medalist
Great news about Sasha! Although she hasn't been a favorite of mine, I can't wait to see her in group numbers!

I was just over on Jamie and David's site and someone posted an article that said something about them doing only 20-25 shows next winter, so my guess is that they'll do the last half of the U.S. Tour! They have already comitted to doing the Canadian leg of the tour..so We'll see...

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Jamie & David's baby is due in October of this year so I don't know if they'll try to do a few dates of the US tour this year before heading to CSOI or if that means they'll only do half the tour next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see about that situation. I'm glad they're just taking time to prepare for their little one and not worrying too much about skating right now. :)

This is a great move for SOI. They needed someone as a headliner and for this year at least, they got one. Sasha isn't my fave ladies skater but I did enjoy seeing her program last year and I'm sure she'll be a nice addition to the cast. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this is awesome, they haven't had a top name American lady to headline the show since Tara Lipinski - Yes I know Sarah toured with them for a season, but she didn't do the full tour IIRC....

great news for Stars... and I think she'll grow as a skater with them! :rock:

How about Jeff and Joannie? :scratch:

um, they skated with CANADIAN SOI - which is shorter, and IIRC they were signed on as guest stars

a little different than a 60+ city tour ala SOI

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think Jamie and David will skate the last half of the tour before doing the Canadian tour and the Canadian ice dance team will probably do the full length of both tours.