My Big Fat Greek Wedding | Golden Skate

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

L

LADSKATER

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it twice! It's the funniest movie I have seen in years. It's a real "feel good movie" and I actually was able to take my mom to see it with no reservations. She enjoyed it as well. I highly recommend it to everyone. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time!

Ladskater

C

CB1AB2

Re: My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I saw it and loved it. I can't remember when I laughed so much at a movie It was an all around good=funny=enjoyable movie.

H

heyang

I laughed so much a cried. The story is so basic, but the characters are what makes it fun. I especially loved when the mother said 'The man is the head of the house, but the woman is the neck that turns the head.'

C

CuteGreekGoddess

I am so dying to see this movie :)
all my friends saw it but me and I am the Greek one :lol:

F

FetalAttraction

My big bland Greek wedding

I wouldn't say the movie is dreadful, but it wasn't a honeymoon, either.

The performances were acceptable, although what's-his-face reprised his role from Sex and the City, note for note. The problem was that none of the characters were terribly interesting. There's nothing dynamic about them, and nothing revealing, either. Yes, ethnic traditionalists are filled with quirky charms, especially when they clash with the modern world. This is well-trampled ground in American, the nationality with a billion prefixes, movies. The plot was beyond predictable. It was more or less a straight line towards a foregone conclusion. Bland characters and a bland plot by themselves makes for an uninvolving movie experience.

Good thing there were a few good chuckles. The scenes with the crescendoing backseat action was hilarious. The baptism was plenty funny, all religions should have voodoo rituals as amusing and humiliating as repeated dunkings in a plastic baby pool.

Then there are the very best things about this movie: It taught me to avoid Greek Orthodoxes with even more urgency; And a billion thanks to whoever had the lifesaving foresight to have the lead actress completely clothed during the love scene!

L

LADSKATER

Fetal:

I am really surprised at your negative review! I have been twice and have laughed and cried at the same time. You must not be very sentimental. This is definitley a movie for us sentimental folk. Of course, it's not your average churned out hollywood script - it's just a story about, ordinary everyday people (Greek people) and it's funny and lighthearted. Don't you tire of these horrible, gross movies hollywood throws at us constantly? This is a movie I could actually take my mother to see. That is rare!

I really enjoyed it. Oh well...

Ladskater

H

heyang

Actually, you don't need to be Greek to understand the heroine, at all.

I think any 1st generation American would understand having a family full of cultural traditions that seem bizarre. I know that I sometimes find the immigrant generation lacking in the manners area. I've come to realize that they are acting perfectly fine for where & when they grew up.

I don't know how many times I've heard that Chinese should marry Chinese. (Of course, now that I'm older, it's ok if I marry anyone who's of Asian descent.) My mom has setup me up with only Chinese guys that she likes based upon their resumes and ability to speak Chinese - I usually have very little in common with them. She asked one of my non-Asian-ex-boyfriends if he liked potatoes because he's of German ancestry (fortunately, he found this amusing and still teases me about it.)

L

LADSKATER

I once attended a Greek/Italian wedding. It was one of the best weddings I have ever been to. The food was fantastic. The dancing and music was great.

Ladskater

N

NatureGirl 89

I saw that movie with my friend. We laughed a lot, but we didn't cry. I think we disturbed the other viewers because we kept getting up and walking around. I would recommend the movie to more older people, though.

S

Show 42

.......Talk about dragging a thread out of the basement, but I just saw this movie on video and loved it....I chuckled all the way through.......42

S

Shallah.K

I just saw it and it was lots of fun

I highly recomend it. Anyone can relate to the fish-out-of-water feeling of being a little or ALOT different from other kids, growing through an ugly ducking stage, and learning to stand up for yourself. Cute, sweet, romantic and funny. It gets a 6.0 from me :D