10 years deep. | Golden Skate

10 years deep.

E

Excidra2001

10 years deep.

Next season should mark Irina's 10th year contributing to the sport of figure skating. Some of you might remember the little jumping bean we saw at 94 Junior worlds where she placed 3rd behind Kwan and one other skater. The following year she won the junior world title and enjoyed success in the senior ranks in 96. She won Russia's first European ladies title(and probably the countrie's first major ladies title in many years). She has accomplished what many other skaters would dream to accoomplish and she doesn't seem like she's taking those skates off just yet.

In a sport where teenage girls dominate, I think she(and Kwan) deserves a round of applause for sticking in for many years and showing these young girls who is boss.:D

G

Glacierskater

Re: 10 years deep.

I totally agree EXCIDRA! They are truly the swans of the frozen pond!

mzheng

Record Breaker

ITA, Excidra. With the age restrictions and more demanding on jumps, it would take at least couple of decadas for us to see another lady skater stay on top of the games that long.

A

ApacheApache

Irina deserves to be honoured for Decade Of Brilliance by the Russian federation. She has won more than 30 golds in her skating career and that certainly is a great achievement.

E

Excidra2001

Apach,

I agree. I don't know what her federation would do for her when she decides to retire, considering she's been Russia's top lady for many years. She was the key player in retaining 3 spots (for 2003 world championships) after Maria decided to withdraw after the SP.
I know that she received 'female athlete of the year' award over Anna K and Svetlena(gymnast).

S

sk8ing lady2001

Just two reasons why I love both Michelle and Irina. They are nice people and wonderful skaters! :)

L

Lucy25

Excidra - You are exactly right. I am not sure where Russian ladies figure skating would be without Irina. They are very lucky she has stuck around! I admire the longevity that Irina, Michelle and others have brought to a sport that seems to want to glorify teeny boppers.

J

Joesitz

Lucy - I believe the two Ukrainians (Oksana and Viktor) proably spurred on the Russian singles to match their triumphs in Pairs and later Dance. Urmanov, imo, was more lucky than a first rate skater. But Ilia Kulic did come through as a force and his rivalry with Yags produced Klimkin and Abt.

Irina really stands out for the Ladies, and she had to work hard for it. Imo, she is the grande dame of Russian Lady Figure skaters. Whether Elena, Nelidina and Oblosova come through as first rate, remains to be seen. They certainly have the talent.

Joe

E

eltamina

Congratulations to Irina, may we have 10 years of enjoying her skating.

N

nymkfan51

Excidra, I couldn't agree with you more! I applaud Irina for sticking with it ... for making a huge comeback, when she was on the verge of giving up the sport entirely. She has made a great contribution to ladies figure skating.
I admire she and Michelle ... when everyone else is talking about how they should retire and just give it up ... those two fight back with determination and perseverence.
Bravo to them both!!!

B

BronzeisGolden02

Irina

I wasn't a huge fan of Irina's early on. She was bubbly and seemed to have a pleasant personality, but her skating from 96-99 did nothing for me. It was when she came back in 2000 that I really took notice of her. I commend her for coming back from such a slump with so many improvements. She, for me anyway, was a different skater. And to be so dominate through the 2000-2002 seasons is also quite commendable. Irina adds something very special to the skating world and her rivalry with my favorite has been one of the most enjoyable and exciting that I can recall. I hope they both stick around for Turino! Even if that doesn't happen, I'm really wanting just one more Michelle vs. Irina matchup at Worlds!

L

LAVENDER

Irina’s longevity

Now that’s a record to admire. I may not be into Irina’s skating a lot but I respect this girl greatly.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Absolutely, Excidra........she's got what it takes to be successful in any sport, staying power. She had the ability to reinvent herself and turned that ability into many winning moments. She's a wonderful influence in the skating world..........42