NEW YAGUDIN IFS Interview | Golden Skate

NEW YAGUDIN IFS Interview

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Thought I'd start a new thread since it's a different interview with Alexei, and it was done with him day-by-day as he went through his hospital stay and the first two weeks of recovery.

Just came out on the International Figure Skating magazine website. (you can find it easily on the IFS main page OR, to get it in larger easier-to-read text, click on FORUM on the top of the IFS page and go to the "News & Announcements" section).

Hope y'all can handle yet another Alexei interview this week, LOL!

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a new thread since it's a different interview with Alexei, and it was done with him day-by-day as he went through his hospital stay and the first two weeks of recovery.

Just came out on the International Figure Skating magazine website.

Hope y'all can handle yet another Alexei interview this week, LOL!

I didn't quite read about an interview but I did appreciate the report of the day by day recovery. I had two knee replacements done at the same time and the next day when I was told to stand up and walk, those prosthesis knees were not going to let me.

I can easily empathize with Alexei. It's not easy to get back the way one dreams after orthopedic surgery. I am hopeful that we will again see his 3A as it was done so beautifully in SLC

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Wow Joe - TWO knees at the same time!? That had to be difficult - really difficult - my sister had just a single knee replacement and she was not anywhere near normal mobility for months - can't imagine what you went through!

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how this replacement goes for him. On the up side, he's young - very young for an entire new hip. But of course, even the titanium model probably wasn't designed for the outrageous pounding triple and quad jump landings are going to bring. Then again, Rudy's have worked out although he's much more reserved in the sheer amount of jumps he does in a light touring schedule AND limited in the number of rotations.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't quite read about an interview but I did appreciate the report of the day by day recovery. I had two knee replacements done at the same time and the next day when I was told to stand up and walk, those prosthesis knees were not going to let me.Joe
Joe, I remember that because it was close to the time I started posting here. How are you doing now??? Do you think hip replacement is for a better word, easier??

Dee

An outstanding piece of journalism. Six-point-oh!

Seriously, where do I send in nominations for the Pulitzer Prize?

I hope someone explained to Alexei why, pre-surgery, eveyone kept asking Alexei to spell his name, what procedure are you here for, which hip are you having replaced, etc., over and over. It's to make sure that you are really the left hip patient, and not the guy in the next bed who is having his stomach stapled.

So medical science can now make an artificial hip bone as good as the original! :bow: I suppose it is only a matter of time before we can do even better. Maybe in the future every athlete will have this operation early in his career, in order to remain competitive with the iron men.

Zanzibar - I was told if I had one done firstly, I would not come back for the other. Ugh. So I went for both at the same time. They gave me an epidermal and I told them I wasn't pregnant:), and watched the whole thing.

Is Rudy still skating? He knows how to reach an audience with or without high level jumps. I don't follow the Shows. Didn't he have both hips replaced at the same time? That poor guy has really been through a lot.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Kathleen for the interview. Do you know how the hip is currently??

Dee

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Thanks Kathleen for the interview. Do you know how the hip is currently??

Dee

Yes, he's doing well - running daily and workng out - heard from him the day before yesterday as he was getting ready to fly to Moscow.

Very upbeat and anxious to get on the ice and "give it a spin".

P.S. In the article where Alexei is on the deck outside, relaxing in the sun and working on the flexibility of his new hip, this is the photo he sent at that moment (for those who haven't seen it already): http://www.ka-bangs.com/ice/Details.aspx?AlbumID=125&Page=0

Last edited:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Zanzibar - I was told if I had one done firstly, I would not come back for the other. Ugh. So I went for both at the same time. They gave me an epidermal and I told them I wasn't pregnant:), and watched the whole thing.

Is Rudy still skating? He knows how to reach an audience with or without high level jumps. I don't follow the Shows. Didn't he have both hips replaced at the same time? That poor guy has really been through a lot.

Joe

First, yikes! Eeesh! You're a lot tougher than I am, that's for sure.

Yes, Rudy's still skating. I heard that only a couple of months after he had the surgeries (I think he had them done seperately) he was landing triples. My hat goes off to him. I've only seen him skate live once, in COI a couple of years ago, but he can really play to the crowd. He definately deserved a standing ovation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
when exactly in he planning on returing? This season it is too late for the GP events, but is he planning on russian nationals and possibly worlds? or is this lokking towards the 2008-09 season?

Childfree -The only thing I can say about comparing knee replacements with hip replacements if from talk in Rehab. There were several patients who had one or the other long before the next one, and they claim knees are the most difficult to deal with after surgery.

Dee- Thanks for remembering my agony. Its been 4 years now. I walk pain free but forget about jumping - no way. Thinking very much about Stephane and Evgeni. Hope they last till 2010.

Great reading about Alexei's improvement.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for posting the article and the photo. Alexei is looking very fit and healthy. Let's hope his recovery is successful.

Poe-Kat

Rinkside
Dang! Awesome story! Not your average dry blah blah blah regurgitated carp we usually read on the net - thank gawd!

kandidy

Final Flight
:love:I don't mind what rank he will end up in competition, I am just happy to see him back to competition again !

sussweden

Rinkside
Thanks for the interview :) He will start practising/creating a new program in November, hope everything goes well :) but wonder if he will do the shows in Korea in September and the one in Germany later this year?

/Lena

Zanzibar

Final Flight
He is planning on the Korea show (don't know anything about Germany) but in a similar scenario, Plushenko just cancelled on a show due to an aggravated condition with his knee (apparently) so I think both of these guys are going to have to take their respective rehabilitation time nice and slow and not over-extend their committments. Sort of an "even the best laid plans" thing.

A part that didn't make it into my story was that when Alexei was recuperating in Connecticut he was aware on July 11 that it was the day Plushenko was checking into a hospital in Germany and having his knee surgery. I said oh don't think for an instant Plushenko doesn't also know that you just got out of the hospital.

Julie O

Rinkside
Been trying to log in after many months away....and mostly wanted to say, "congratulations on the fine writing and interviewing, Kathleen!" Yes, nice piece of journalism indeed. It's wonderful to be able to rely on the accuracy of all of the following: content, timeliness, spelling, syntax and punctuation!
Hats off to you! :thumbsup: :clap:
As for Alexei's return, I would be happiest if he could just skate pain-free. I hope he can swing the major political coup of getting ISU approval. But if not, and with his competitiveness driving him relentlessly, perhaps he could produce a pro competition or series of them himself, in Europe or in North America.

Thanks for giving me and others so much enjoyment.

Julie

...I said oh don't think for an instant Plushenko doesn't also know that you just got out of the hospital.
It sounds like you are trying to keep the fires stoked, guaranteeing yourself more feisty interviews in the future. :rofl:

BTW, nice interview with Plushenko in this month's IFS, too. :rock:

Let's see now, I am trying to get a time line. The article isn't dated, but It says here:

KB: "Have you really committed to returning to competition?"

Plushenko: "Two days ago I made this decision. For sure." :cool: :yes: :laugh: