Alissa Czisny | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny

flying camel

Medalist
Does anyone have any information on Alissa? I haven't seen or heard much of anything about her. Has anyone seen her new programs? Any information would be appreciated.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Alissa Czisny's program music hasn't yet been published online anywhere to my knowledge, but the "unofficial hearsay" is that her short program is to Saint-Saen's "The Swan" (choreographed by Lori Nichol) and her free skate is to "West Side Story" (choreographed by David Wilson). This actually may be the first time she's ever had two new programs in the same season. Czisny hasn't competed this summer to date.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alissa Czisny's program music hasn't yet been published online anywhere to my knowledge, but the "unofficial hearsay" is that her short program is to Saint-Saen's "The Swan" (choreographed by Lori Nichol) and her free skate is to "West Side Story" (choreographed by David Wilson). This actually may be the first time she's ever had two new programs in the same season. Czisny hasn't competed this summer to date.
If this is true ( and i HOPE it is) the swan will probably go down as one of her signiture programs. She is the perfect skater for that music.

I think Saint Saen's Swan will be standard Nichol fare. No problem for Kimmie.

But, Bernstein's West Side Story can be a challenge for her depending on the selections she uses. WSS has:

a great Overture for skating plus

I'm Pretty (a waltz)
Office Kropsky (Americana)
Puerto Rico (a cha cha)
Tonight (The Bernstein R&J)
He Killed your Brother (Drama)
A Place for Us (kind of a hymnal)

What will Kimmie use?

David has a lot of rhythm which we saw in that youtube of Yu Na, this would be great for Kimmie if he can impart that on her. I hope Puerto Rico is in the routine. It would be a turning point in her career if she can pull it off. Damn! Skate America will be interesting. Maybe I will make a last minute go.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joe, if you go to Skate America in anticipation of watching Kimmie's "West Side Story" program, you're going to disappointed! ;) (Pssst, check the title of this thread again.)

Side note: One of my all-time favorite "Swan" programs was Yebin Mok's SP in the 2002-03 season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Saint Saen's Swan will be standard Nichol fare. No problem for Kimmie.

But, Bernstein's West Side Story can be a challenge for her depending on the selections she uses. WSS has:

a great Overture for skating plus

I'm Pretty (a waltz)
Office Kropsky (Americana)
Puerto Rico (a cha cha)
Tonight (The Bernstein R&J)
He Killed your Brother (Drama)
A Place for Us (kind of a hymnal)

What will Kimmie use?

David has a lot of rhythm which we saw in that youtube of Yu Na, this would be great for Kimmie if he can impart that on her. I hope Puerto Rico is in the routine. It would be a turning point in her career if she can pull it off. Damn! Skate America will be interesting. Maybe I will make a last minute go.

Joe

Umm...I thought this thread was about Alyssa?

:laugh:

Last edited:
Joe, if you go to Skate America in anticipation of watching Kimmie's "West Side Story" program, you're going to disappointed! ;) (Pssst, check the title of this thread again.)

Side note: One of my all-time favorite "Swan" programs was Yebin Mok's SP in the 2002-03 season.
Thanks Sylvia. I had Kimmie on the brain, and got all excited with WWS. However, I think Alissa would also apply to my take on the music. But I'm not so sure about Swan - super ballerina like. That would also be a challenge for Alyssa
And yes, Yebin did a fine job to that. I miss her.
Joe.

Umm...I thought this thread was about Alyssa?
I have no idea why Kimmie was on my mind. Maybe I did want her to get away from the Egyptian music. But my post can also apply to Alyssa. Why not? I like to see skaters take a stretch from the usual.

Joe

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
I'm not surprised that Alissa hasn't competed yet this summer. She was touring with Champions on Ice till early / mid June. Afterwards she probably took some time of. So I would guess she only started on her new programs some time in July.

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks Sylvia. I had Kimmie on the brain, and got all excited with WWS. However, I think Alissa would also apply to my take on the music. But I'm not so sure about Swan - super ballerina like. That would also be a challenge for Alyssa
And yes, Yebin did a fine job to that. I miss her.
Joe.

Alyssa not balletic? Are you sure you still have Kimmie on the brain?

Alyssa not balletic?
Can you define what is balletic? or do you mean ballet-like? and what has that to do with Saint Saens Swan as he composed music for a number of animals? He saw the Swan as graceful. that's all one should be skating like - graceful!

I should hope all skaters are graceful.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the confusion lies in your post where you said 'Kimmie' and 'The Swan' might not fit... then later you said that the same could be said for Alissa. Alissa's style is a whole lot better suited for that type of music than Kimmie... they're not similar in style at all.

I was thinking the tempo of the music. It is quite delicate and convoluted spins and triple lutzes just wont do it. I think skating to The Swan by Saint Saens would be a challenge to both of them. Johnny Weir did a remarkable job capturing the tempo of the music, and the tricks were well incorporated into the music.

There is an old ballet called The Dying Swan choreographed by Fokine and uses the music of Saint Saens. It is performed 90 per cent on toe and the thought of it being performed on toe rakes just irks me. Skating is skating and Ballet is ballet My opinion is to keep them separate. Skating is more like acrobatic dancing but no one ever says, she's so acrobatic. Why not?

Joe

Teenes

On the Ice
Kurt Browning's choreographed Alissa's exhibition. Not sure what the music is though...

gkelly

Record Breaker
Overuse of toepicks to imitate ballerinas imitating swans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA7TxLfw0V8

I think the point of the music is the swan gliding in the water. The ballet medium doesn't allow for gliding very well -- bourrees are maybe the closest it can come. Skating is all about gliding. Much better to go directly from skating to swan without ballet as an intermediary.