Two Russian articles on Plushenko's plans for this season | Golden Skate

Two Russian articles on Plushenko's plans for this season

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
According to IA "Sportcom" announcement yesterday, Olympic figure skating champion Evgeny Plushenko will likely skip this season. The skater's coach Alexei Mishin talks about it.

According to Mishin, Plushenko's recent surgery led to some complications. Because of this, Olympic champion skipped the exhibitions in Hungary, and refused to take part in the Channel One program "Stars on Ice".

Later on, unconfirmed information emerged that the skater will indeed skip the season, but not because of the injury. Apparently, Plushenko came to the Russian Figure Skating Federation President Valentin Piseev 3 weeks ago, and said that he won't compete this season because he has already signed a TV contract for $750,000, and prefers to take part in the TV project rather than compete.

Ivan PREDTECHENSKY, IA "Sportcom"

"Komsomolka" learns the details about the popular show

This year, channel "Russia" will once again delight its viewers with the project "Dances on Ice". Last year's show brought unbelievable ratings - 75 percent of all adult TV viewers were eagerly following how actors and singers were being turned into skaters. In the new season, TV viewers will once again have a chance to enjoy this spectacle. The first broadcast is planned for August 26th.

Head coach of the project, famous skater Natalia BESTEMIANOVA has told us what the new and exciting things the "Dances on Ice" reincarnation will bring us.

"KP" FILES

Natalia BESTEMIANOVA
, recognized master of sport of figure skating.

Born January 6.

Started skating at age 5.

Olympic champion (1988), Silver Olympic medalist of 1984, 4-time World champion, and 5-time European champion. Skated with Andrei Bukin.

Graduated from GITIS. Theater artist and producer. Works in the Theater of ice miniatures. Married to skater Igor Bobrin.

I won't tell you the girl's name. But she's delighted!

"Natalia, what stage is the show preparation in?"

"The main training period has started. Stars are working their buns off to be able to stay on their feet by the time of first broadcast."

"Which stars will take part?"

"I won't tell you that. We want to save the intrigue to the last. Let the viewers try go guess."

"Information already leaked that actor Anatoly Zhuravlev will take part in the project. It is also said that show organizers asked Chuplan Khamatova and Vera Glagoleva, but they couldn't do it because of scheduling conflicts."

"You might as well write that we asked Vladimit Putin, but he refused. I can, though, tell you which skaters will take part - Alexei Urmanov, Oksana Kazakova, Ruslan Goncharov, Artur Dmitriev, Oksana Gritchuk, and... I get goose bumps as I say this - Evgeni Plushenko! That's the main sensation of our show as I see it. The girls he's paired with is absolutely delighted."

"Who is that girl?"

"Don't even try, I won't crack."

Fear hinders the newcomers

"In that case, tell us how the teams are put together. Do the contestants themselves agree upon who will train and perform together?"

"No, competitors don't choose each other. Moreover, they don't know whom they'll be partnered with until the last. Show organizers assign the duos."

"How do the choose?"

"First of all, all teams must match physically. It won't look good if a petite girl would be paired with a very tall partner. We also consider our protagonists' temperaments, as well as how they look together. Luckily, we haven't yet been wrong. All the duos were bright and natural."

"Have you yourself conducted any practices with the participants? How would you rate each one's potential?"

"Well, all of our stars have unique personalities. They will undoubtedly succeed. Of course, some have the basic skills (for example, some skated as kids), while others have never taken the ice before. However, we already have to people with awesome talent! They could easily switch occupations. Big things await them if they choose figure skating."

"What's the most difficult thing for the stars in trainings?"

"Fear. Figure skating means steed. Those who have just put their skates on feel the obvious fear. The legs go in their own directions, while they have to go perform elements! The newcomers are therefore very tense - they try to both keep their balance, and handle their emotions. That's the most difficult thing."

We've had out first cuts and bruises

"Do you give them any special advice? Have you suggested a diet for anyone?"

"I only give advice regarding special exercises for muscle and flexibility. That's a must to do lifts in the future. As for diets... I don't consider it important to give nutrition advice. My charges will know themselves if they need to loose weight."

"As I recall, actress Svetlana Khodchenhkova was supposed to take part in the first 'Dances', but was dieting so much, she fainted from hunger at a practice sessions, got injured, and had to be written out of the project as a result. Have you already had injuries this season?"

"You have to have a head for everything. This includes dieting. New participants, thank got, have no serious injuries. Just the little things - cuts, bruises, and sprains. That's normal in figure skating."

"How will the new project differ from the last?"

"There will be many new things. I went to Great Britain, which is the homeland of our show, to learn from our British colleagues.

We will certainly use some things in our show, such as required elements in skating, something I saw the English do. The biggest difference, though, is in a greater number of teams. The first season had ten. Now we'll have 13."

"All athletes have superstitions. Are the stars using the skaters' ones?"

"Skaters never let strangers touch their blade covers. We take those off only with our own hands right before a performance. No one can touch them until the performance ends. I've seen our stars watching their blade covers carefully as well."

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well now!!! this is very surprising. now i wonder wheather or not he will come back at all...why would he want all the headache of competing, not to mention the injury problems and risks when he can make a lot of money doing shows and stuff. beyond me. well i guess the rest of the senior men in the world are jumping for joy right now! lol

Thanks for the update, Ptichka.

Let's see now -- to earn $750,000 skating, Plushenko would have to win the World Championship every year from now until 2022.

I am curious (as a perpetual student of language) if the following is an exact translation of the Russian:
Stars are working their buns off...
.How about, "goose bumps" -- do Russians have the superstition about a "goose walking over your grave"? :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am curious (as a perpetual student of language) if the following is an exact translation of the Russian:[...] .How about, "goose bumps" -- do Russians have the superstition about a "goose walking over your grave"? :)
No, the literal translation of the first is "working like they've been cursed". Doesn't sound quiet right like that, now does it? BTW, another phrase that often comes up to describe working very hard translates literally as "plough" or "till the soil" (or sometimes "plough like they/I/he/she is cursed"). Every time I run into it, I have to come up with alternatives.

As to the second - the literal translation of the whole sentence would be - "I aspirate as I say that name - Evgeny Plushenko!"

When I do my translations, I try to choose the best fitting English equivalent instead of translating everything literally.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the update. This news does not surprise me at all. It seems like he will take the money and run. No judgment.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I think he did the right thing. I doubt that he and Alexei can regain their past form. It is time for the younger skaters to get their chance to shine.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think he did the right thing. I doubt that he and Alexei can regain their past form. It is time for the younger skaters to get their chance to shine.

yeah fine and all that.. BUT WHY DID HE PLAN A RETURN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! If he was only considering a return he should have kept it to himself until it was final. no use getting the entire skating world into a stir.

Kasey

Medalist
Interesting, his comments about Yagudin talking about a comeback being just a "PR" thing....um, Pot....kettle....

Thanks Ptichka - I was afraid this might happen when I read that the surgery included taken out the cartilege. The poor guy. My heart goes out to him.

The cartilege is the 'rubberband' inside the knee which is used for cushioning, If orthroscopic surgery doesn't work, this is the next step. It takes quite awhile to heal and plenty of therapeutic exercises. Most dancers can make it back after a year but eventually they leave dancing.

I look forward to reports on his Show Skating meaning he will skate competitions in future.

Joe

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The money could support either theory:

1. At the time he accepted the contract, he faced an ugly and costly divorce battle, and he needed it.

2. At the time he, Piseev, and Mishin announced a comeback, he was shaken by the divorce proceedings and the breakup of his family and felt an intense desire to compete -- turn back the clock to his former self, feel more authentic -- that faded, especially as he had enough physical difficulties to risk surgery.

(Thank you, as always, Ptichka!)

There's also the chance that he went along with a comeback story to help Piseev. (Please don't ask what Piseev wanted, because I don't understand his motives half the time.)

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Well, lol, there are many "truths" in these deals in Russia.

There is what really happened, what they'll say on-record, and what they'll say off-record, and then what they all say about each other. I wouldn't judge Plushenko too harshly. He wanted to come back, he's not in shape to come back right now (could change), and he's got financial offers that didn't exist when he made the announcement (April/May) to return. If he's in good enough shape, he could actually do both - a tv show AND then compete later in the season - who knows how this will play out in the end.

I tried to tell people in June that Alexei would skate in the tv show he's in right now, and most thought he'd only host...even he said as recent as July 12th that he was going to host....but he is way too competitive to stand on the sidelines with a microphone...the only thing you can count on with both of these guys, is that whatever they say...it's going to change. Often.:yes:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If the contract numbers are true, I'm glad Plushenko was offered that kind of money. Men's Olympic champion might get some local advertising here, but it's huge in Russia.

I'm jumping up and down that according to the preliminary schedule on the Worlds website, the competition ends with Men's as the marquee event!!!!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think he wasn't expecting to be offered that much money. However, there are two competing "skating with the stars" shows in Russia - "Stars on Ice" on Channel One, and "Dancing on Ice" on RTR. On the whole, "Stars on Ice" seems more spectacular and professional than "Dancing on Ice". No wonder the latter are so eager to get a name like Plushenko on that roster; you can't really get a bigger star than that in Russia. Offered that kind of money, I guess he just couldn't resist.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Actually, I believe he was offered the $700,000 by Channel 1 over a month ago (and this was confirmed to me by people on the show that spoke with Auverbukh). Then...the rival network that airs "Dancing On Ice" (the show that last year had Urmanov, Platov, etc.) was rumored to have offered him $1.2 million (but that was never confirmed).

If this news story is saying the Dancing On Ice show is offering him $750,000, then that would still only be the same amount he would have gotten, roughly, to stay with the Channel 1 show. Of course, no love lost between he and Auverbukh so if the money's the same - all things being equal - perhaps he preferred to move.

amber68

On the Ice
If this news story is saying the Dancing On Ice show is offering him $750,000, then that would still only be the same amount he would have gotten, roughly, to stay with the Channel 1 show. Of course, no love lost between he and Auverbukh so if the money's the same - all things being equal - perhaps he preferred to move.

I also thought he was going to participate at DOI for the same reasons but now it seems he won't do DOI because he has medical problems.
Even more, Russian media suggests that he actually does not have any medical problem but only wants to break the contract with DOI and to participate at SOI.
Why would he do this when he already had the possibility to choose?
But of course some newspapers don't care about logic and just want a new skandal.:laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It says that lawsuit for a lot of money has been threatened against Plushenko for withdrawing from DOI, but that he says he has the proof of doctor's orders to stay off the ice.
Oh, let me take a wild guess about how that plays out - how about DOI producers drop their charges against Plush, and Plush drops his charges against T&M.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I talked with Plushenko's agent today and posted a brief article from that conversation regarding Plushenko's status on the front page of the IFS (International Figure Skating) Magazine website. (can't link to it, so just go to Google and type in "IFS magazine").

I do believe without a cartilege in the knee, and it is the right one, the jumps will not be the same as they were.

Joe