Can meditation, good thoughts affect war? | Golden Skate

Can meditation, good thoughts affect war?

D

dancervixen

Can meditation, good thoughts affect war?

I read in different places that it can, maybe a few minutes a meditation for peace-it's getting really scary out there! For so many people.....!

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Can meditation, good thoughts affect war?

If George Bush, Rumsfield, Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden all engaged in meditation and thought good thoughts,
I am sure it could affect the likelihood of war.

As for other people--if you want to affect war, vote, march, protest, organize, write letters to the editor, help in some way.

If you think war is a good idea, and you want to bring it on,
the advice is the same.

dpp

L

LADSKATER

"All we are saying. Is give peace a chance."

- The Beattles

Ladskater

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Bush, from what I understand, has a quiet time every morning(meditation time... whatever) where he studies his Bible and prays... not sure for how long... but he uses the same devotional most of my family uses... so I have every faith that he's in tune to what God would want... while God doesn't want needless war his Permissive and Perfect wills have long been "different"

R

rgirl181

I think the thoughts and actions of very few people ever actually affect the onset, outcome, or avoidance of wars. Millions of lives are lost, millions more are changed forever, but only a few decide. In modern times, usually a few middle-aged or older men.

It is scary out there. IMO, it's always scary out there, we're just not always aware of it. But whatever your views or beliefs, ITA with Doris--do what you can to make them known. At least in this society we have that freedom, which is a lot more than most.
Rgirl

S

Shallah.K

I believe in acting internally and externally

yes do pray/meditate for justice and truth and then act on it in your own life.

P

Ptichka

Bush Rant

Disclaimer: this is going to be a Bush rant.

I know how Bush is supposed to be so religious, and I believe that he honestly believes that he is. However, his actions are exactly the opposite. I am not even going to get into the war with Iraq business, I am going to bring up an example that is much clearer IMHO -- taxes. Now, I am no expert on Christianity, but what little I know points, I think, to Christ wanting to help the poor and the needy. Bush, however, is hell bent on doing everything to help the rich. The poor rich in this country pay too much taxes, so we will just help them out by, say, eliminating the Estate Tax and the Divident Tax. And, as our expenses are sky rocketing because of the war (which I am not saying is not legitimate), we will just let the poor pick up the slack. Now granted, we won't raise taxes on them, but we will just cut the programs that help them -- hey, the poor don't need the help! In Massachusetts, we now have almost 2000 families living in homeless shelters and motels rented by the state for this purpose (up from 17 families in 1998); in many of those families people are working, but just cannot afford the rent since the minimum wage has never kept up with inflation. But I guess it is more important to cut the Divident tax for the rich than it is to help the states help those who cannot survive without that help.

In Judaism, there is a tradition of praying for G-d to grant our leaders the wisdom to do what is right. So, I guess if you still have faith, both in the divine and and eartly leaders... In a recent New Yorker, there was a suggestion to include the following in Bush's daily Bible reading:

Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all of them did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
Mark 12:41-44

I think it would not hurt him to read it.

P.S. Doris, I like your post a lot.