About Schmidt | Golden Skate

About Schmidt

M

mathman444

About Schmidt

Has anybody seen this movie? I loved it, and I mostly don't like movies at all. Plus, I usually can't stand Jack Nicholson. He gets all those awards for "acting," but the only character he ever portrays is himself. But here he did the bemused Everyman observing the crazy world about him very well.

I think that you have to be the right age to appreciate this movie. Schmidt retires, then his wife dies, and the rest is a journey of self-discovery as he tries to understand and cope with his new life. The central question is, when I die, will it matter whether I ever lived or not?

Like I said, I think you have to be a certain age to relate to it.

Comments?

Mathman

B

Borgy727

Re: About Schmidt

ITA with your assessment of the movie Mathman. I, too, really liked it. I don't think you have to be "of a certain age" to truly appreciate the themes of the movie though. Since I am fast approaching middle age, the movie is very thought provoking because there is still time to make changes in your life (at this age) and the movie sort of gives you a wake up call to look at your life and make sure you are not stagnating. Perhaps the message has more impact when you have an opportunity to do something, rather than an awful reminder of what you may be experiencing, if you are retired and haven't properly prepared for your retirement. Definitely an Oscar opportunity for Nicholson though.

K

Kzarah

Mathman
I am with you. I don't really care for movies particularly movies with Jack Nicholson. I did see this movie and enjoyed it very much. Jack did a fine job and will probably win the oscar. I always enjoy Kathy Bates. (I had to close my eyes during her nude seen.)
Daniel and Little Lulu

M

mathman444

Re: nude

I read that there was quite a bit of negotiation between the director and the actress as to exactly how far she would have to go. Sometimes, less is more! :lol:

Mathman

L

LADSKATER

I liked Nicholson's performance and thought the movie was very good.

Ladskater

D

Dee4707

I can't wait to see it because some of it was filmed right here in my beautiful "Omaha." The other day we had a board meeting and one of the executives who is employed at Mutual of Omaha is on the board. He was talking about he and his wife were in the part where there is a party at Johnny's cafe and it took close to 10 hours just to film a 2 minute segment. He talked about Nickolsen's stand-in and how when the time for Jack to be in the segment, he would come in for 5 minutes do his part and leave. Those poor people who were there for 10 hours, wow.

Dee