JGP results/point standings | Golden Skate

JGP results/point standings

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Armin, Mirai and Alexe will be going to Croatia.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Armin, Mirai and Alexe will be going to Croatia.
Actually, it's better not to assume anything at this point because the USFS International Committee may decide not to send gold and silver medalists in the same discipline (i.e. Nagasu and Gilles) to the same second JGP. We shall have to wait and see...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, it's better not to assume anything at this point because the USFS International Committee may decide not to send gold and silver medalists in the same discipline (i.e. Nagasu and Gilles) to the same second JGP. We shall have to wait and see...

I wonder why they are pairing Chrissy Hughes and Carol Ann Alba in Romania. I don't know much about Chrissy Hughes, but this is her first JGP, and it seemed reasonable to pair her with Melissa Bulanhagui. When Melissa withdrew with injury, I was surprised to see another JGP firster assigned with Hughes. Alba won the Junior Ladies event at the BC Summerskate, but that was a very weak field. She barely beat Rika Inoda (CAN), who is listed as a JGP substitute.

Meanwhile, both Kristine Musademba and Rachael Flatt were assigned to Austria. Even though they, too, are JGP firsters, they are both very strong skaters. As a Senior, Rachael scored 141+ at Broadmoor (while injured) and 157+ at Liberty; and Kristine racked up a total of 144+ qualifying for the Junior Ladies Free Skate Final at Liberty, and recently won Junior Ladies at the Cranberry Open with a score of 137+.

I wonder why they are pairing Chrissy Hughes and Carol Ann Alba in Romania. I don't know much about Chrissy Hughes, but this is her first JGP, and it seemed reasonable to pair her with Melissa Bulanhagui. When Melissa withdrew with injury, I was surprised to see another JGP firster assigned with Hughes. Alba won the Junior Ladies event at the BC Summerskate, but that was a very weak field. She barely beat Rika Inoda (CAN), who is listed as a JGP substitute.

Meanwhile, both Kristine Musademba and Rachael Flatt were assigned to Austria. Even though they, too, are JGP firsters, they are both very strong skaters. As a Senior, Rachael scored 141+ at Broadmoor (while injured) and 157+ at Liberty; and Kristine racked up a total of 144+ qualifying for the Junior Ladies Free Skate Final at Liberty, and recently won Junior Ladies at the Cranberry Open with a score of 137+.
Agree!! That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy. :disapp:

Joe

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Agree!! That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy. :disapp:

Joe

Maybe it was too late to move Flatt or Musademba to vienna after Bulanhagui had to withdraw. Lets hope they do some good planning when it comes to the 2nd JGPs.

I believe so far Nagasu, Gilles, Maxwell, Kanallakan, Mahbanoozadeh, Butler/Jacobsen, Bosley/Corona and Samuelson/Bates all qualify for a 2nd JGP.
Thoug I would probably pair Nagasu and Maxwell on the ladies side and send Gilles to another event maybe Bulgaria with Bulanhagui. But I guess we will have wait and see what the International Committee? comes up with.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Maybe it was too late to move Flatt or Musademba [from] vienna after Bulanhagui had to withdraw.
This sounds plausible to me. USFS also has to take into consideration the travel expenses/budget for the JGP skaters and coaches. I do think it's possible that Melissa Bulanhagui may receive a JGP replacement assignment if she is recovered from her injury.

Lets hope they do some good planning when it comes to the 2nd JGPs.
We can only hope! :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Looks like they didn't :frown2:
You mean didn't assign Nagasu and Gilles to different 2nd JGPs? It's my understanding that the coaches and skaters involved were all consulted beforehand and that there were logical reasons for not doing so in this particular instance.

Looks like they didn't :frown2:

USFSA just announced that Gilles, Nagasu & Kanallaken were assigned to JGP Croatia. In TBD on men.
Bosley & Corona replace Hubbells
I'm guessing that TBD means ToBeDetermined? Am I correct and what has that got to do with a second GP?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I'm guessing that TBD means ToBeDetermined? Am I correct and what has that got to do with a second GP?
Yes, TBD = To Be Determined. Here's the link to USFS' International Assignments page where official assignments are published for all the USA skaters (the rest of the Croatia TBD slots were filled today except for one man TBD): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Bosley & Corona replace Hubbells
Yes, in order to give the Hubbells more injury recovery time, from what I've heard.

The USFS' International Committee is likely going to wait for the results from Romania this week before finalizing/publishing other assignments. For example, Armin Mahbanoozadeh (men's gold in Lake Placid) has obviously earned a 2nd JGP assignment and will likely be slotted into Bulgaria (#6), while Angela Maxwell (bronze in Lake Placid) should have a decent chance at getting a 2nd assignment at some point.

ETA the following information that was originally posted in the Lake Placid JGP thread:
I believe USFS sent an email to all the skaters with assignments to the first four JGPs and to all the named alternates, explaining its policy for second assignments. Although I haven't seen said email, I understand that it works this way: If you finish no worse than 4th at JGP #2, #3, or #4, you get a second assignment. The Lake Placid competitors were only promised (not sure that's quite the right word) a second assignment if they finished in the top 4 *and* were one of the top 2 US competitors. (I assume that is because the US has one more slot in the first 4 JGPs than in the last 4, so promising second assignments to all 3 competitors at Lake Placid could have been a problem.) The email does indicate, however, that other factors may be considered. I believe those include depth of field and the actual performance.
This is correct.

Normally a top 4 finish will lead to a second JGP assignment for the U.S. skaters, but there often is more flexibility in pairs and dance, and so I'm guessing that Paetsch/Nuss (5th in Lake Placid) will likely receive a 2nd JGP. In fact, two of the eight pair teams that qualified for last year's JGP Final finished 5th in one of their JGP competitions.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
With three events down and five to go, U.S. ladies hold the top five positions in the overall standings.

http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsladies.htm

Nagasu (will also skate in Croatia)
Flatt (Germany)
Chrissy Hughes (Bulgaria)
Musademba (Germany)
Alexe Gilles (Croatia).

Musademba was paired with Flatt in both of their assignments; same with Nagasu and Gilles.
Just wanted to remind folks that the Germany assignments for the U.S. ladies are still considered "provisional" at this time (because they haven't been published on the USFS' International Assignments page yet).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
That was dumb on the part of the USFS to place two unseasoned skaters in the same event. Both Flatt and Musademba are listed as substitutes in Romania, they could have just made one a full competitor there and put Alba or Hughes into Vienna. But then, the Americans have never been good at using strategy. :disapp:
Well, it worked out well for Chrissy Hughes in Romania. :)

Has Bulanhagui been reassigned at this point?
Melissa has been "provisionally" assigned to Bulgaria, but I believe she has to be monitored before officially receiving the assignment.

Yes, TBD = To Be Determined. Here's the link to USFS' International Assignments page where official assignments are published for all the USA skaters (the rest of the Croatia TBD slots were filled today except for one man TBD): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
The USFS' International Committee is likely going to wait for the results from Romania this week before finalizing/publishing other assignments. For example, Armin Mahbanoozadeh (men's gold in Lake Placid) has obviously earned a 2nd JGP assignment and will likely be slotted into Bulgaria (#6), while Angela Maxwell (bronze in Lake Placid) should have a decent chance at getting a 2nd assignment at some point.
Update: Mahbanoozadeh was added to Croatia on 9/11. Maxwell has not received a 2nd assignment yet, but should still be in the running for one of the remaining ladies' spots.

Bosley & Corona replace Hubbells [in Croatia].
Update: Pilar Bosley/John Corona (dance bronze medalists in Lake Placid) have since been shifted to Germany.

The official U.S. entries so far for Germany are the 3 pair teams published on the ISU's Bulgaria roster yesterday -- Butler/Jacobsen, Paetsch/Nuss and Claire Davis/Nathan Miller (originally one of the alternate teams) -- plus Bosley/Corona in dance. These names were all added to the USFS' International Assignments page yesterday (Sept. 15), even though these 4 assignments are (mis?)dated Sept. 12.

Alexander Johnson (2007 U.S. novice men's silver medalist) is not officially listed on the USFS' International Assignments page yet, but his name was just added to the ISU's roster for Bulgaria on Sept. 15, to join Adam Rippon's and so I think it's "almost official" ;): http://www.isufs.org/events/cat00006053.htm

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Reposted from the Vienna JGP thread to this one:
Some of us like to check out the Men's standings in figure skating.

http://www.isufs.org/events/jgp2007/jgpsmen.htm

Rippon - Bulgaria [provisional]
Mroz - Germany [provisional]
Mahbanazadeh - Germany [no, he's confirmed for Croatia]
Guan (China) - Estonia
Bariev (Russia) - Croatia
Kanallakan - Croatia [confirmed]
Boroludin (Russia) - Bulgaria
Mura (Japan) - Germany
Sasaki (Japan) - Bulgaria
Schultheiss (Sweden) - Bulgaria
Amadio (France) - Estonia
Dornbush (USA) - Germany [provisional]
Berniese (Germany) - Estonia
Ten (Canada) - Croatia.
Lum (Canada ) - Bulgaria

Apparently out of the competition are Grigoriev (Rus), Gurilev (Rus) Halverson (USA) and Steenberg (USA). Some of the assignments have been given to skaters whose total scores are less that the ones left out. I'm just:confused: how this JGP decides who gets two assignments.

None of the men are scheduled for Great Britain. I am assuming that that is where the Final takes place. Am I correct?
No, Sheffield, GBR is the 8th and final JGP and the preliminary entries have not been published by the ISU yet. Gdansk, Poland is where the JGP Final will take place (Dec. 6-9, 2007).

Thanks Sylvia. This is a learnng process for me. I think I'm gettng it.

What abouy Dornbush who did not do as well as Halverson and Steenberg? He at least got a provsional.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
What abouy Dornbush who did not do as well as Halverson and Steenberg? He at least got a provsional.
"Provisional" means the U.S. singles skaters still have to place in the top 4 in their first JGP in order to be guaranteed a second assignment (refer back to this post, esp. acraven's quoted part, on the previous page:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=262628&postcount=13 )

Although Richard Dornbush scored higher (155.22) with his 6th place finish in Vienna than Eliot Halverson's 5th place in Romania (146.30) and Tommy Steenberg's 6th place in Lake Placid (138.27), the ISU's first tiebreaker is placement, which is why, I assume, the USFS' International Committee has a "top 4" rule for their singles skaters.

Last edited:

Buzzz

Final Flight
There is a German Ice Dancing pair of Ashley Foy and Benjamin Blum who were born in the USA. I want to see how they do. :)