quad axel | Golden Skate

quad axel

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
I was excited the first time I saw that video many months ago...I thought it would be a practice tape of someone actually landing one!

But...no. :rofl:

Quad Axel is a scary thing. If someone ever does it with any consistency I will be stunned.

Mafke

Medalist
I can't think of much I'd _less_ like to see than the emergence of any new quad...

No, I'm wrong, I'd much less rather see a return of Plushenko's "Baby Sex-bomb" exhibition (the horrors of which made the "Chicken" exhibition seem like restrained good taste).

But within the bounds of eligible competition, please no new quads.

rjulie510

Rinkside
I don't think quad axel is a realistic possibility at least at this point. I remember reading somewhere Alexei Yagudin, who in his prime had the highest gravity-defying triple axels, tried quad axel, and landed in his head. And after that point on, he never tried quad axel again.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
Alexei Urmanov was practising the quad axel years before Yagudin tried it.

He ended up injuring himself in the process, and didn't attempt them again.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was excited the first time I saw that video many months ago...I thought it would be a practice tape of someone actually landing one!

But...no. :rofl:

Quad Axel is a scary thing. If someone ever does it with any consistency I will be stunned.

if anyone ever tries one i will be stunned.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Hmmm, maybe. The first time I counted 3, the second, 4...

With rotations i tend to watch the back of the head and see when it turns to backwards - if you ignore the first one when looking at an axel (becuase of the first half turn) i only count three as he falls.

Ant

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
It's an underrotated Quad Axel. He needs about 1/3 more of a turn, which is enormously hard to obtain when you've already reached that number of rotations, for it to be a real Quad.

With the height he's getting, I don't think he'll ever be able to do a Quad Axel.