New Format for Dancing With the Stars | Golden Skate

New Format for Dancing With the Stars

Ladies one night; Gentlemen the next.

My prediction: One Lady and one Gentleman will reach the final. the Gentleman will win.

Joe

From what I saw so far, the boys will have to get on the stick if they want to beat Sabrina! :love: :rock:

heyang

Record Breaker
Next week we go back to a single night of dancing.

While I think the ladies were better at dancing, the guys were better performers overall. The ladies have the advantage that they are presented, whereas the guys must learn to lead. When the male is a strong dancer, he can make anyone look good. The only thing a good female dancer can do to hide her partner's flaws is dance around him.

My prediction for 1st elim = model Josie. She didn't have rythym and was the worst of all the dancers and she doesn't have a fan base as big as many of the others.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Point: the male stars on this show (with the possible exception of John O'Hurly from season one) aren't actually learning to lead. That takes year to do effectively, certainly to be able to lead the women they're dancing with. They're learning to frame and follow a routine. Frame is key to lead, yes, but it takes a long, long time for it to get there. Believe me, the lady pros are covering and backleading. Backleading is something every competant follow eventually learns to do, and it means that you can, in fact, lead as the follower. I've already started picking up some tips on how, mostly just to save myself in social situations.

Early favorites: Helio (sp?) and Sabrina with Jane the dark horse. (I'd love to see her go all the way, not least because it would mean maximum Tony. Hopefully we'll see next time if Tony's finally got a partner worthy of his mambo. The man has a heavenly mambo--only to be expected, yes, given he's the World Pro American Rhythm champion, but still, on DWTS, he's been having some partnering bad luck.)

First out: Josie. Sorry, Alec.

Juliet - Yes the Male Lead - very important and stressed in my first High School lesson. It's more than just keeping the dance on the road. It is for initating all the breaks and back-togethers again. I don't see much of that in Ice Dancing.

Something should be said for The Female Follow - also very important in being able to pick up on the silent signals the male initiates. She should never take ovr the lead even if she knows it would be better. Makes the male look like a whimp.

Reviewing last night. I feel sorry for Johnathan, who always seems to get stuck with a dud of some sort including Marie. Maybe she'll put something into it soon.

Showy dancing will always win over the more reserved proper dancing. The crowd roars for the Samba and just applauds a Waltz. I wonder what would be the outcome if professional judges had the final say.

Joe

Jhar55

Medalist
I was thinking that for mens Wayne Newton might be one of the first to go his dancing is not that good and the ladies Marie Osmond, but then she has enough family just their vote alone could keep her in :laugh:
I really didn't get to see all the ladies was busy making a birthday pie and missed most of it.

Norlite

On the Ice
I was thinking that for mens Wayne Newton might be one of the first to go his dancing is not that good and the ladies Marie Osmond, but then she has enough family just their vote alone could keep her in :laugh:
I really didn't get to see all the ladies was busy making a birthday pie and missed most of it.

I'm guessing (hoping) it'll be Wayne, Marie or Josie.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Joe--the thing I've found with ice dance as opposed to ballroom is, you can't really have a true lead/follow because you have to be skating independantly. Even the ice dance 'closed hold' is designed in such a way that you can get apart quickly. Makes sense when you have blades on your feet!

To be a really great ballroom lead takes years and years to perfect, and some guys never get there. And while yes, to a degree, the follow should never try to take over--sometimes you have to. Female pros, especially those who do pro-am, are usually very adept at making a less-experienced lead go where he needs to go. And yes, it takes a long time to learn to be a good follow, too. I'm getting better. My problem is shutting off my brain--it's not that I try to lead, but that I anticpate what my pro is going to do. This is especially bad in Smooth, because we're in such close body contact I'm guaranteed to trip or kick him if I guess wrong. I need to learn to stop guessing and just listen.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I sure thought Wayne Newton was the worst.

As we've seen before on this show (Sara Evans), it doesn't matter who is the worst if they have fans. Someone who can really dance well (Willa Ford) will get the boot before someone who has a fan base.

I think I was the only one voting for Mark Cuban. I found his enthusiasm enjoyable. Also tossed a couple of votes to the hunky model boy.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do they have the bottom 3 this year?? If so, who were they?? I was watching Kid Nation.

Dee

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Do they have the bottom 3 this year?? If so, who were they?? I was watching Kid Nation.

Bottom three is So You Think You Can Dance.

The bottom two couples were Josie Maran and Alec Mazo and Mark Cuban and Kym Johnson. Josie and Alec were cut.

sillylionlove

Medalist
here is my thinking...Cameron Mathison will make it far since soap fans are just crazy about thier soap people. Sabrina will make it far because she appeals to the pre teen and teen audience and all the Disney fans. Wayne Newton will make it far since many people like his partner Cheryl Burke. Marie Osmond can have every Osmond vote for her and she would win because there are like a million out there. I think she even said that if 27 million people are voting...22 million of them are Osmond's or something like that.

As for everyone else they will fall in the middle. But I do agree that there will be a guy and a girl in the final.

That race car dancer looked like he knew how to lead a lady around the floor. I would guess he had lessons on how to lead which is the biggest problems with the men. Men look best in a choreograhic version of cha cha and it's just letting the ladies loose. They get lost at the break in the Quick Step which I find amusing. For the Tango, men have to keep that gaucho face or all is lost.

In my opinion hip swinging men should not compete with hip swinging women. :biggrin:

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker

I believe that ABC has put DWTS on their internet site where you can watch full episodes if you missed one.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Depends on the man's hips, Joe...there's a pro at my studio where I swear, watching him do samba should be at least a venial sin, if not mortal. Forget whatever his partner's doing. He owns that dance.

If I remember correctly, a good Samba would be thrusting forward then backwards.

In general, I would say hips should undulate rather than swing side to side in any Carribbean Dance. But that could be my taste.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am happy for Edyta this season. At last she has a young partner!!! Maybe she will be around a little longer this time.

I am not sure how long Wayne Newton and Marie Osmond will last - neither of them can dance. I guess it will depend on their fans.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I believe that ABC has put DWTS on their internet site where you can watch full episodes if you missed one.

Only if you live in the US. I tried to watch, but it is not avaliable to us Canucks.