Update on Caroline Zhang | Golden Skate

Update on Caroline Zhang

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I had the pleasure of seeing miss zhang at a public session at the Toyota Sports Center this morning. This is the first time I saw her in person. She looks like she has grown since January, but is still very slender and just beautiful. She skates slower than most elite skaters, and very softly. She landed one 3/3 out of the three she tried. It really looks very good. Her 3 flip is no problem, it's the second jump, the toe that was giving her problems, even solo. I did not get to see any spins or spirals :( I saw her practicing her circular step sequence for Ave Maria.... very good and very lovely. She was wearing what I assume was her ave maria dress... it was dark blue looked sort of like an evening gown... with chiffon gathering across the front. Very nice...suits her. Her 3/2/2 is solid as a rock.

feraina

Record Breaker
:love: :love: :love:

You're sooooooooooo lucky! I hope she was having a relatively off day. 1/3 success rate does not sound good for having to put the 3-3 out there in a month at SA!

kandidy

Final Flight
Wow, lokking forward to skate america.
How she transforms from junior to senior, with her so young age, I am very interested in her senior debut.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
more info that I forgot yesterday. She still has that leg kick on her flip and lutz, especilly the flip. I think it's just one of those wonky habits some people develop and it will be really hard to let go. Personly it dosen't bother me at all. All her jumps, esp with flip and lutz look much higher than last year and she this great speed coming out of all her jumps. Landing double axels from a spead eagle, those look very good!

feraina

Record Breaker
More speed on the jumps sounds great! Last season, she didn't have much speed coming out, especially her 2A -- glad to hear she's been working on that. Personally, I think it's much more important to get more height and flow on her jumps, as opposed to fixing the high-kick entry, because those are the factors that actually matter in the GOE scoring.

Caroline has a (relatively) new photo on her USFSA bio page -- she looks so mature for her 14 years!

Mafke

Medalist
I find the high kick to be distracting, and (treading carefully) is she working on deflutzifying her lutz?

I feel that Caroline is a beautiful and unique skater. In my world, she has more than adequate skills to make her so wonderful to watch is because of combining her technical with that gorgeous flow at whatever speed produces a most unique Lady with all the skating artstry that one can show.

However, some of the complaints I read are valid and will hurt her competitive skating. But she will, imo, continue to be unique regardless of her placements.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I feel that Caroline is a beautiful and unique skater. In my world, she has more than adequate skills to make her so wonderful to watch is because of combining her technical with that gorgeous flow at whatever speed produces a most unique Lady with all the skating artstry that one can show.

However, some of the complaints I read are valid and will hurt her competitive skating. But she will, imo, continue to be unique regardless of her placements.

Joe

:clap::clap:

passion

On the Ice

Joe

ITA with every point that you made.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have heard so much about her but haven't really seen her skate. I am looking forward to seeing her at Skate America.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I say her again today working with the amazing Lori Nichol on her ave maria program. It is really a BEAUTIFUL program. The transitions are wonderful and Caroline is really holding her back up in her spirals this year. she look so mature for a girl of her age. She landed a lovely 3 loop-2 toe-2 loop. Her jumps look so easy. I hope she can skate like that at the grand prix and nationals.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
^^I haven't posted in forum for awhile, but thanks for the information!!! Caroline is such an amazing young lady, and I know she will do great in the future. That's awesome that she is arching her back more on the spirals. I felt that was all she needed to give it that "wow, super, amazing" effect that Sasha had...although I liked them before too.:clap:

bx11

Rinkside
Caroline

Tinymavy15

Thank you so much for the news of Caroline:yes:

We need more details abour her, like.

How is about her speed and ice covered, compare to other top skaters like Asada or Kim?

Does she has triple salcow? the axel is more height, with more speed?

The 3-3 has flow after the second jump?

How tall is she now? Same size as Sasha Cohen?

Thanks

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Tinymavy15

Thank you so much for the news of Caroline:yes:

We need more details abour her, like.

How is about her speed and ice covered, compare to other top skaters like Asada or Kim?

Does she has triple salcow? the axel is more height, with more speed?

The 3-3 has flow after the second jump?

How tall is she now? Same size as Sasha Cohen?

Thanks

She warms up very slowly, but in her program she has great ice coverage, she goes into her jumps with a LOT of speed and comes out of them with a lot of speed too!

She has a lovely triple salchow

Well, I have only seen her land one, it looked great, much better than kimmie's, but she fell out of the second jump the other two times.

I can't say if she is the same size as sasha, having never seen sasha in person. She isn't that short for a 14(?) year old..... yeah, I guess she is about 5 feet? just a guess.

feraina

Record Breaker
She has a lovely triple salchow. Well, I have only seen her land one, it looked great, much better than kimmie's, but she fell out of the second jump the other two times.

What second jump? Is she practicing 3S in combination with a second jump? 3S was supposedly the first triple she learned. What's her jump lay-out this year in the LP? How come she's trying the 3Loop in combination with 2T-2R? What happened to the 3Z combos she was doing last year? Maybe she's minimizing the (f)lutz?

How's her lutz anyway? Is the flutzing bad?

Great to hear about the speed into/out of jumps! That, and together with the stronger back on the spirals, sound like great improvements from last year!

bx11

Rinkside
Caroline

Thanks for those details Tinymavy15 :rock:

we are going to see her and other top skaters on TV, in a week :clap: