Adult skaters: How important are jumps? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adult skaters: How important are jumps?

passion

On the Ice
Without wanting to put anyone off dancing, I never did any real damage falling on a jump, but broke my teeth getting on the ice with guards on, broke my wrist doing the blues chocktaw too slowly on bad ice, and stuck my blade in my leg falling on back crosses. I always think you are kind of expecting to fall on a jump and so anticipate it, whereas in ice dancing it mostly comes as a huge surprise and often involves 2 bodies instead of 1. The worst and most painful falls I have had are when one or other of us catches the toe rake going forward in killian hold at high speed.

Ouch! And you are still ice dancing??!! Like I said, I've always thought ice dancing to be way more dangerous than free skating.

Kypma

Final Flight
Ouch! And you are still ice dancing??!! Like I said, I've always thought ice dancing to be way more dangerous than free skating.

Honestly, though, I think pair skating has the highest risk factor, but high risk isn't necessarily a higher ratio of accident occurence...
My worst falls have actually been on spins, because I fall backwards onto my elbow, but my bruises come from falling on stupid things (ie tripping over my toe-pick) like the 3-turn before the flip. I can land the jump, but the 3-turn is the problematic part. Go figure.

Kypma

manleywoman

Rinkside
I learned 2loop at 30, got 2salchow-2loop combo at 31, and got 2flip at 35. So while it takes me a few years to learn a jump at this point, it is possible.

Good luck!

Icesk8r96

Spectator
I believe it is all in how you feel. Only the skater who does the jumping knows their limits.
I am 30 and still working on my axel. I want to get most of my doubles before hanging up my skates for good. I also want to pass my Adult Gold Free test. So I push myself knowing I can do it if I put my mind to it.
Age is just a number, I have seen some people jump in their 60's 70's and even 80's
It is possible.

kayskate

Rinkside
I learned 2loop at 30, got 2salchow-2loop combo at 31, and got 2flip at 35. So while it takes me a few years to learn a jump at this point, it is possible.

This is really inspirational. Did you skate as a kid? If not, when did you start?

Kay

kayskate

Rinkside
Myself, I broke my ankle doing a RBO3. I caught an edge and went down (and couldn't get back up. :cry:

I worked on axels in my mid-30s. Got them about 75% of the time cheated. I don't think I ever landed a clean one. It is still in the back of my mind even though I am 40. I stopped doing axels after a couple of yrs of bad falls and focused on dance and MITF. In my exp, I get far more comments on my beautiful edges and posture than I ever did on my axels. For me, dance was the best thing I did for my skating. It increased my speed & power, improved carriage, etc.

I do all of the basic singles still. A huge single looks really good. I can work on that forever. Spins are my fav. I have worked on adv and complicated spins for yrs. IMO, they are much safer than jumps. They also look really amazing.

There are many directions you can go as an adult skater even if you choose not to jump much.

Kay

oldskaterbabe

Spectator
I'm finding that the older I get (spittin' distance from 50), the longer it takes to recover even from little injuries, let alone the big ones! Many of the other adults I skate with have had serious injuries over the last few years from fall--i.e., broken legs, shoulders, wrists, etc. , and then the recovery period is pretty darn lengthy.
My own problem is that while the teenagers in my skating club can practice their jumps over and over and over again, and fall over and over again, and get up and jump some more, I just can't do that--my knees start to ache (okay, so does everything else) and if I want to work on anything else on the practice ice, I have to stop. I think I'm in pretty good shape from skating 7+ hours weekly, playing hockey 2ce a week, and lifting weights, but there's only so much I can do.
I also do ice dance (working on the third set of dances) and I think everything I do on the ice is equally dangerous! I'm perfectly capable of falling on just about any move, including stepping outside onto my icy deck.
Although I have to admit...the worst injury I've ever had was from coaching hockey, when a kid skated right into me, jerked his head up when I shouted at him, caught me under the chin and sent me flying across the ice! (Skated in a competition four days later buried in facial make-up!)
You just have to keep adjusting to what your body will do as you get older.
Oldskaterbabe

passion

On the Ice
I'm finding that the older I get (spittin' distance from 50), the longer it takes to recover even from little injuries, let alone the big ones! Many of the other adults I skate with have had serious injuries over the last few years from fall--i.e., broken legs, shoulders, wrists, etc. , and then the recovery period is pretty darn lengthy.
My own problem is that while the teenagers in my skating club can practice their jumps over and over and over again, and fall over and over again, and get up and jump some more, I just can't do that--my knees start to ache (okay, so does everything else) and if I want to work on anything else on the practice ice, I have to stop. I think I'm in pretty good shape from skating 7+ hours weekly, playing hockey 2ce a week, and lifting weights, but there's only so much I can do.
I also do ice dance (working on the third set of dances) and I think everything I do on the ice is equally dangerous! I'm perfectly capable of falling on just about any move, including stepping outside onto my icy deck.
Although I have to admit...the worst injury I've ever had was from coaching hockey, when a kid skated right into me, jerked his head up when I shouted at him, caught me under the chin and sent me flying across the ice! (Skated in a competition four days later buried in facial make-up!)
You just have to keep adjusting to what your body will do as you get older.
Oldskaterbabe

Hey, if you're skating with the teenagers, you're already doing pretty darn good! It means you can skate well enough to dodge them. lol. BTW, my knees ache too.

oldskaterbabe

Spectator
Hey, if you're skating with the teenagers, you're already doing pretty darn good! It means you can skate well enough to dodge them. lol. BTW, my knees ache too.

Well...it might be that I'm pretty good, or they might be remembering the collision one of the girls had with me last year where we crashed going backwards and both of us flew across the rink and I stayed down for a while. It was just more comfortable that way. But I think they were pretty sure she killed me!!!:laugh:

coskater

Spectator
I came back to skating after 18 years off the ice. I only had an axel when I quit and it took a few months to get it back at the age of 36. My skating has been interesting road, as a silver skater I was a power house with no grace but very fast and solid axels. The same as gold skater but better edge quality, a few months after passing my intermediate fs @ the age of 40 I tore my stabilizing ligament and 3 years later and 2 major hip surgeries later-- I will try to skate again. Just this summer at an event I scored a 36 in my master's level event I did no doubles and no axel, I got level 2 on my footwork and on a spin. While I did come in last what a mostly won was my own ability to overcome that jump centered attitude and to learn that grace and quality mean a lot. I will skate again at AN's this year hopefully doing an artistic program, no jumps but I hope to build on my footwork, speed and spins.

If I could find a tall, slender 6'2" male I would be so thrilled, then I could dance....
sigh....

jnskateva

Rinkside
Importance of jumps

First question: How important are the jumps to you in terms of how much you are able to achieve in jumping?

For me, they are important because I feel like I have the ability to do it and want to skate to my full potential. I started as a young adult (22) and now am 30. I really want to be able to master the sport to a degree (i.e no triples!!), and it's been a goal of mine to really just be a good overall skater (good edges, spins, and jumps). Also, nothing beats the feeling when you do something really well and just float above the ice :). Even though I'm still only doing the single jumps and a wonky axel (that will be fixed), I'd love to be able to pull of some doubles sometime in thefuture. It's the little kid inside of me coming out when I jump.

Second question: Does an adult who can jump well make a good freeskater?

Not necessarily; to be a good freeskater, you have to have good solid basic skating skills, such as good edges, deepe stroking and a good sense of balance and ease over the ice. I think well executed jumps are a highlight of a program, but they don't (and often) don't determine the ultimate placement. Many competitive adult skaters can do all the same jumps, but I think the degree of execution for everything determines how the judges mark you. I've seen gold events where the top two ladies didn't attempt any doubles, but they skated with a lot of flow and artistry versus the third place lady who powered her way through everything and had relatively weak basic skating skills.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Jumps

I think that jumps help complete the whole program. I think that you should do what you can do and try to do it well. I find it frustrating that double jumps are worth so little and are so risky for adults. I can get more points on my spins than I can on a 2toe! I dont really have to stress about doing a spin, but jumping can be tricky. Skating for adults is not really that different. The person with the best program probably will win. That person will probably be jumping.

bondgirl

Rinkside
Jumps and adults

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you are interested in testing/competitng, I would say that you need a "complete package." A commentator once remarked that Yagudin's strength was a "lack of weakness." He excelled in jumping, spinning and footwork.
However...
If you are just skating for your own enjoyment, (like I am), then you have much more freedom in focusing on what you enjoy/are interested in. For example, I am a jumper and I do judge my own skating by what level of jumps I can land....But that's just me. I'm really not all that interested in being a great skater in the sense of edging, footwork, etc., and (other than flying spins), I don't really enjoy spinning all that much. But then, I don't compete/test so I can "get away with" bad edging etc. that I couldn't if I was competing/testing...So it all depends upon what your individual goals are.
Question: Is a skater with all double jumps and flying spins who is unable (unwilling) to do left leg camel spins and layback spins and who has scratchy edgework a "good" skater? Most posters would probably say "no", but like I wrote, I think it all depends upon the individual skater's goal.:)

passion

On the Ice
I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you are interested in testing/competitng, I would say that you need a "complete package." A commentator once remarked that Yagudin's strength was a "lack of weakness." He excelled in jumping, spinning and footwork.
However...
If you are just skating for your own enjoyment, (like I am), then you have much more freedom in focusing on what you enjoy/are interested in. For example, I am a jumper and I do judge my own skating by what level of jumps I can land....But that's just me. I'm really not all that interested in being a great skater in the sense of edging, footwork, etc., and (other than flying spins), I don't really enjoy spinning all that much. But then, I don't compete/test so I can "get away with" bad edging etc. that I couldn't if I was competing/testing...So it all depends upon what your individual goals are.
Question: Is a skater with all double jumps and flying spins who is unable (unwilling) to do left leg camel spins and layback spins and who has scratchy edgework a "good" skater? Most posters would probably say "no", but like I wrote, I think it all depends upon the individual skater's goal.:)

When I hear "good skater" from anyone I interpret that to mean the overall impression of the skater. ie. all round as opposed to "good jumper" or "good spinner" or "good edger". But that's just me.

2bcharlotte

Spectator
I've gone to the Adult Championship

Because we are all in a different stage of fitness and health everyone will have a slightly differnent answer. Mine is when it comes to jumps...I love jumps always have, but I too have to be careful not to over do or else I'll pay for it the rest of the week.

At the Adult Championships you do see that the adults spend a lot of time on the tricks, such as catch foot, hydrogliding, different spin positions all in an effort to stand out and get stronger marks.

I try to focus on the whole picture. The presentation, the spins, the jumps and some tricks.

Adult skaters ROCK!!! :rock:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
First question: How important are the jumps to you in terms of how much you are able to achieve in jumping?
It depends on whether or not jumps are important to you. When i first started skating, they were not. After I started waltz-jumping away from the wall and realized I wasn't going to die I discovered I liked to jump....then I wanted to learn more jumps. Today, they are important to me.

Second question: Does an adult who can jump well make a good freeskater?
Not necessarily. Speed, power, flow, and artistry also complete the package along with jumps and spins. Just because you can jump doesn't make you a good skater. Watch a technically good program...boring. Watch someone who may be less adept at skating but really into the music-they draw you in and you really enjoy their program! THAT makes you a better skater!

I compete ISI instead of USFS and love it. I don't know if I want to compete USFS any more. ISI is more fun, less cut-throat. At 46 years of age, I don't want to put up with all the crap of a USFA competition-I like the evenness of the playing field under ISI rules. Everyone on my level is AT my level. No skating up/down/sideways, etc. (sorry to rant about this-it does make a difference for competing).

Which is also why I do mostly show skating. :biggrin:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I compete ISI instead of USFS and love it. I don't know if I want to compete USFS any more. ISI is more fun, less cut-throat. At 46 years of age, I don't want to put up with all the crap of a USFA competition-I like the evenness of the playing field under ISI rules. Everyone on my level is AT my level. No skating up/down/sideways, etc. (sorry to rant about this-it does make a difference for competing).
I skate under USFS and don't really know that much about ISI. So what is the difference? I haven't competed yet so not sure if it is a level playing field. I would think at my age there wouldn't be too many skaters (I'm 48) skating. I mean how many of us at that age can do doubles?

mskater93

Record Breaker
For sure, my one training partner has a double sal and a sometimes double toe and she's 50. She skates Gold...