Thread: Skate Canada: Gold Freeskate

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Question Skate Canada: Gold Freeskate

This message is to anyone who can help me out! I've recently started to consider returning to figure skating after being off the ice for 5 years, and I'm looking at doing my gold freeskate test (I already have the elements part). So I was wondering if anyone out there could direct me to a website that has the requirements for the gold freeskate test program, i'd really appreciate it! I can't login to the Members Only area of skate canada because I am currently not registered with a club, because I still haven't decided to pursue it or not!

Thanks!

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    The Minto Club has them posted here. Good luck in passing the test!

Kypma

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you!

0 Not allowed!

program requirements

For your gold freeskate program,

With the new rule changes all that is required is a well balanced program,
    double axle, and a triple jump.
    and i believe minimum of 12 rev's per spin.

:D

oh and of course a 4 min program for ladies, 4:30 for men. haha

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think you need any triples for the gold freeskate. Unless it's a new requirement this year.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't even know that the double Axel was required... I saw double Lutz or double Axel. Maybe those are the requirements for the Senior Competitive Freeskate Singles Test...

Kypma

At any rate, good luck CosmicTears! Keep us updated

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Senior Competitive freeskate now requires a double axel and a triple jump OR two triple jumps - and as of October 1 - is judged based on the ISU CoP system. There is now minimum mark for component scores and a maximum -GOE that can be achieved on the required jumps.

The Gold freeskate test is now divided into two separate parts. If you have your gold elements - you now have your Gold Elements. Beleive it or not - a skater can do just elements from preliminary to gold and never skate a program - but still earn their Gold elements!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    they've been divided into program and elements for awhile now, as long as i've been skating anyways. I didn't know that you could take the elements of a higher test without first passing both the elements & program of all previous tests. My club won't let people do this, but is it fine by skate canada?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    they've been divided into program and elements for awhile now, as long as i've been skating anyways. I didn't know that you could take the elements of a higher test without first passing both the elements & program of all previous tests. My club won't let people do this, but is it fine by skate canada?
    Yes - your club should be required to allow you to test just your elements or program part of a freeskate test-----ask them again and if they refuse, someone hasn't read the new Skate Canada rules!

Physically the freeskate tests have been divided into part 1: elements and part 2: program - for a long time. Sort of an A & B = complete test. Must have passed both parts in order to proceed to the next test.

However, the new change a couple of years ago was the splitting of the elements into one stream and the program into another.....the two parts are no longer connected. So a skater can do only elements without ever doing a program, and complete their Gold elements.

Since competitions often state 'must have passed no higher than complete _____test' - many coaches are having their skaters test up a couple of levels in elements only, so that they can still compete at the much lower level.

But more motivating, is the fact that test skaters without a lot of ice time, can work on just the elements portion of say, their junior bronze or senior silver freeskate - and pass it one season, then work on the program the next if they want. Or if a skater never wants to do elements - just work on programs only.
    Last edited by redhotcoach; 10-27-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: options